Author Topic: Glass hood and hood pins  (Read 2345 times)

afret

Glass hood and hood pins
« on: June 18, 2016, 07:34:10 PM »
Cut the hole in the hood for the shaker and stuck the trim ring on today.

Next comes the holes for the hood pins.  The pin kit comes with a top plate and another plate which I assume goes below and receives the screws from the top plate with the fiberglass in-between.  The hood has two layers there though with space between the layers.  I think the steel hood is like that too and the bottom layer has a large round cutout so the bottom plate can fit against the bottom of the top layer.

Should I make a cutout in the bottom glass layer like in the stock hood?

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: Glass hood and hood pins
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »
You're right that the stock hood has a large somewhat oval cut-out on the bottom side. I have 3 hoods, one being NOS, and they all have that cut-out. Not so sure how it would work trying to go through both layers of fiberglass if there's space between them. I'd probably make a cut-out. The two plates would certainly spread the load out on the single layer of fiberglass, and I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Trying to tighten the 2 layers with a space between them would likely distort both sides and be very visible on top.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

afret

Re: Glass hood and hood pins
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 09:54:58 PM »
You're right that the stock hood has a large somewhat oval cut-out on the bottom side. I have 3 hoods, one being NOS, and they all have that cut-out. Not so sure how it would work trying to go through both layers of fiberglass if there's space between them. I'd probably make a cut-out. The two plates would certainly spread the load out on the single layer of fiberglass, and I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Trying to tighten the 2 layers with a space between them would likely distort both sides and be very visible on top.

Yeah, I think you're right.  I'm going to make a cut out on the lower layer.  Thanks!