Author Topic: Fire extinguisher  (Read 1501 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Fire extinguisher
« on: April 19, 2021, 10:27:40 PM »
I am looking at adding a fire extinguisher in the Mustang and I was wondering what size you guys that have them are using. I am planning on getting that uses Halotron 1 as  a suppressant. 

Gaugster

• View Profile
Re: Fire extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 11:04:50 PM »
I have this small Haltron mounted on the steering column for easy access. Another one about twice as long mounted in the trunk. Plus a normal size one for the garage. Also these small cans.

A heat sensing 'smoke" detector is also a good idea about the car wherever it's stored.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:07:53 AM »
Alan, the choice of "which size" has a lot to do with some other factors.
Where will you mount it?
How do you desire to access it?
At what level will you be able to walk away from a fire that is "too big".

I strongly suggest you go to a home store, or other place to purchase the really cheap fire extinguishers you throw away after use.
Then use the different sizes on some home made fuel fires to learn what they will do.

ANY working fire extinguisher is better than no extinguisher, but those small units run out of ability pretty dang fast...often too fast to work for a reflash.
This does not mean they are useless, but it does mean having three of them available may be the ticket in some cases.

I like to use the 2.5lb and the 5lb versions for vehicles.
They fit well in many locations, have many different mounting options, and they will not throw your back out while leaning in quickly to retrieve them at full arms length.
I give the 2.5lb versions as gifts quite a lot.

I also purchase the quality extinguishers simply based on my direct experience with them.

Regularly agitate your extinguishers for best results.
I take them off the mount, turn them upside down and listen for the contents to shift.
If it does not shift, lightly tap the high side to loosen and unpack the contents.
Do this twice and put it back in the holder until the next agitation cycle.

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 11:43:42 AM »
Dont get a dry chemical extinguisher from a big box store you will not like whats left after use also its corrosive part of the reason their cheaper. CO2 is a good choice but dont forget Haltron is not Halon 1211 or 1311.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 11:55:54 PM »
If somebody could break this down for me, I'd appreciate it.  About all I know is based on the "ABCD" codes regarding the types of fires.  What is an effective extinguisher that won't totally trash my car?  This post has me thinking I really should put one in my car, but I'd like to buy the correct type and size.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 08:04:33 AM »
The Haltron type are the only ones that won't destroy wiring etc... if used to saturate an area of a vehicle next to and around the actual "thermal event". Any other common extinguisher will leave chemicals\powders on the harnesses, hoses etc.... that will degrade them to the point of failure.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2021, 09:47:55 AM »
I have a 2.5 lb dry chemical in my Mach. I always dreaded the thought of having to use it, mainly for the damage they cause. I didn't know about Halotron. I think I'll replace the ABC one that I have with a Halotron unit.

Has anyone used, or carry a CO2 unit? Only drawback seems to be release time, which is less than ABC or Halotron. I'm also surprised that Halon is still available to the public. I thought it was banned, but turns out only the new manufacture of it is banned. Units are still available, albeit pricey. Still, seems like the best extinguisher available, and if it saves your car from burning to the ground, and not destroying all the aluminum and wiring in the process, it would be well worth the price.

Thanks for this thread, Alan. Having recently watched Tom Baileys Camaro burn, it put those fears of an engine fire back in my head.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2021, 09:58:13 AM »
Thanks for this thread, Alan. Having recently watched Tom Baileys Camaro burn, it put those fears of an engine fire back in my head.
I second this.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Re: Fire extinguisher Halotron 1
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »
I can't decide whether to get the 1.4lb or the 2.5lb unit. According to the descriptions I have read the discharge time is the same so I guess it amounts to volume. The 1.4 would be easier to mount but the 2.5 wouldn't be too bad either if I mount it to the seat brace bar on my roll cage.

http://halotron.com/halotron1.php#:~:text=Halotron%20I%20is%20a%20safe%2C%20effective%2C%20environmentally%20acceptable,6%20to%2045%20feet%20%281.8%20to%2013.7%20meters%29.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:05:43 PM by AlanCasida »

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2021, 04:56:50 PM »
I have been designing, testing, maintaining, certifying and installing gas and water based fire protection systems for over 35 years in a busy tristate midalantic market and never came across a system or hand held fire extinguisher using haltron. I suspect its mostly used because of price in our hobby.  A class B and C extinguisher is what is needed for a classic/race car I use a 5lb CO2 in my cars and garage. I have found many CO2 extinguishers at miltary shows/swap meets for under $20.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2021, 05:09:20 PM »
I'm using Amerex brand. 1.4lb on my steering column and a 2.5lb mounted back in the truck. Yes they are specifically intented for "expensive assets". 5lb size in the garage. Cost is 2x to 3x a standard extinguisher if I remember correctly.

https://webstore.amerex-fire.com/