Author Topic: BBM blocks  (Read 24895 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: BBM blocks
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 03:13:33 PM »
That's why it was such a pleassure to buy from you Jay
Payment when the parts was shipped, and premium
quality parts. No waiting for months after you paid
and getting strange excuses
other times i often feel like i get those
parts with defects and blemishes because it is more trouble
to send it back from Sweden than fixing it  ::)

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
Might want to call Survival, they show it on there web site.
Awesome looking stuff if you can get it, just like BBM.
I have BBM heads and they are great stuff. I'd buy one of everything they make.
If I had some money.

It's all great stuff.
There was a time when it was little aftermarket support.
Valves covers and a few intakes.
Remember the 80's and 90's.
Now people complain because their build is behind because they can't
get a block. WTF over!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 03:22:13 PM »
That's why it was such a pleassure to buy from you Jay
Payment when the parts was shipped, and premium
quality parts. No waiting for months after you paid
and getting strange excuses
other times i often feel like i get those
parts with defects and blemishes because it is more trouble
to send it back from Sweden than fixing it  ::)

Thanks Heo, I appreciate the kind words - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 03:45:42 PM »
Well, I am in the queue.  I called Doug and got a better understanding of the situation.  He has a large number of castings (the batch process I was worried about).  He's been having problems getting CNC capacity (a more manageable problem).  Regardless I felt it was better to have a bird in the hand (and my engine builder will store it until he's ready to start the build).  More blocks arrive today and will start shipping tomorrow, although it will be a day or more before he gets mine out (good news for Katz and Bill as I'm sure theirs will go out before mine).
 8)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:52:25 PM by ACHiPo »

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
Yep.  I was suddenly confused, and briefly had hopes for a cast, titanium block.  Lets go billet steel for Christmas.
What we're doing, at least for most of us, is attempting to communicate. If I must guess at what a post-er means, the communication process is damaged.

Billet steel is unlikely to have started as a casting.

KS

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »
Personally, I don't think it is right to pay ahead of time for something that is not ready to sell.  I had to do that for the tunnel wedge, and I had some harsh words spoken to me about my questioning the whole situation.  I also have a question if it is legal to require a pre-payment for something that is not readily available.  The quality is good, but is sure makes it seem that a business is working on credit when they require a prepaid order.  Be careful how you spend your hard earned credit.  Joe-JDC

I agree. No money in advance. Shelby, pond, don't ask for money in advance. BBM. What a joke.

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2016, 07:49:18 PM »
Personally, I don't think it is right to pay ahead of time for something that is not ready to sell.  I had to do that for the tunnel wedge, and I had some harsh words spoken to me about my questioning the whole situation.  I also have a question if it is legal to require a pre-payment for something that is not readily available.  The quality is good, but is sure makes it seem that a business is working on credit when they require a prepaid order.  Be careful how you spend your hard earned credit.  Joe-JDC

I agree. No money in advance. Shelby, pond, don't ask for money in advance. BBM. What a joke.
I was not asked to pay in advance.  Just a single data point.  If it doesn't ship or arrive as communicated, I'll give an update, but for now I'm impressed with my interactions with Doug at BBM.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »
After a year wait and looking at blocks already at .030 -.040 over and asking $3k I am more than happy to get a block from anybody. This is what happens when you love "old iron" ! So few foundries left in the USA and the ones that are running are usually pretty busy. The old supply chain ain't what it use to be !

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2016, 10:11:16 PM »
May I inject a little stability into the conversation?
Let me start by saying, all I care about is parts for me to have fun with in my chosen hobby. Also I have the deepest respect for all the parts makers/inventors and craftsmen that contribute to this forum. I am not a part of BBM though I have bought from them and supplied parts to measure as well as gaskets for a build. I find Doug to be a straight up guy. I do think there are communication problems with him sometimes that are cultural in nature (as alluded to by Mr. Crane saying he was talked to with harsh words). He is also very proud of what he is doing.
There are companies out there that provide FE products to customers that have paid BBM up front for large numbers of blocks to be shipped to them. Us hobbyists only need one at a time yet we are receiving blocks also.
He has also told me that people are insisting he take a credit card number or money in advance to secure a block or a part.
He has stated to me that he does not need the money up front, however demand is high. Read into that what you will.
Statements like this;
"Shelby, pond, don't ask for money in advance. BBM. What a joke." belong on another forum. Shelby and Pond don't have blocks to sell.
Let's not get carried away like other forums and let's concentrate on FE parts and builds. If you have a problem with BBM call them and hash it out.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:56 PM »
I've had terrible interactions with Doug at BBM   From now on I'll just buy from the vendors I've dealt with in the past. Edlebrock, Shelby, pond. That's just me.

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2016, 10:16:10 PM »
I have talked to Doug about it. I washed my hands with them.  Now I'm done   

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »
All good brother.
Respect you for digging' FEs
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2016, 10:59:37 PM »
Just got the way bill number from Doug.  My block is en route to the builder a day before he said it would be.  Bonus points in my book.  Let's just hope the quality, etc. is as good as I've read and I'll be a happy customer!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2016, 08:28:17 AM »
Post some pictures when you get the block!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2016, 09:33:58 AM »
Post some pictures when you get the block!
I'd love to.  Unfortunately for documentation (but fortunately for the probability of a good motor) it's not coming to me, but rather to my engine builder, which is ~3000 miles away on the east coast.

I'm trying to figure out a time to get back to meet with my engine builder and other folks involved with my car.  When I do I plan to take lots of pics.