Author Topic: BBM blocks  (Read 24895 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: BBM blocks
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 12:48:35 PM »
Ha Ha true

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2016, 07:32:47 PM »
All kidding aside , the BBM block is a very nice piece , have a set of there heads , nice as well .. Have seen the alum block - very nice , and from the machine shop side ....BBM block cleaner casting than the pond , less clean up , but i would take any of the new 427 blocks .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 01:12:32 AM »
I've also talked to Doug and he says iron blocks will be available at the end of December.  I don't need one for several months, and when I asked how often they make a casting run he got cagey.  How's BBM's track record of hitting commitments?

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 06:03:09 AM »
I just read BBM is shipping iron blocks right now.
I suggest you get in the Q if you have money. I don't. ::)

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 08:47:14 AM »
That's strange, as Doug clearly said they would ship at the end of the month, not that he had them now.  I asked him when he plans to make the next run and he said, "It depends at that time".  Are these cast to order?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »
I haven't dealt directly with BBM, but my observations are that they probably deal with the same foundry delays and cash flow issues as anybody else in the FE business.  Speaking from personal experience with my intake adapter castings, sometimes the foundry will promise delivery in 6-8 weeks and take much longer; this delayed my initial batch of intake adapters by a total of nine months a couple of years ago. 

One observations specific to BBM is that when they first got going on the block and head project, on the FE Forum Doug criticized many other FE manufacturers (like Blue Thunder, for instance) for not having the parts available for purchase.  He claimed the FE world "deserved" to have the parts available all the time, and BBM was going to be sure that happened.  Yet they have consistently run out of blocks and heads, leaving people waiting for months at a time.  I'm sure the realities of short-run manufacturing and cash flow management have hurt them, but to make a promise like that and then leave people waiting is hypocritical and not good business, in my opinion.

By most accounts the products are high quality, so if you need them, as Howie says, get in the queue and hope for a near term delivery...

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
That's strange, as Doug clearly said they would ship at the end of the month, not that he had them now.  I asked him when he plans to make the next run and he said, "It depends at that time".  Are these cast to order?

That's what I read on the FordFE.com.
I know that waiting for the exact right moment for you and expecting
the part to be there, may not work out. ;)
At the release of the Genesis 427 block I told myself I would get one.
I was lucky enough to buy one of the last ones made.
There will never be another Genesis 427 so they are all vintage now. ;)
One day they will not make BBM blocks just like Ford does not make 427 Sideoiler blocks anymore.
People and companies move on.
I have not used my Geny yet, but I am close.
I know if I did not have one I would always want one even though they don't make them.
It was the awesome in it's day, and in high demand. ;)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1481591821/last-1481680666/View+Thread

image hosting over 5mb

ACHiPo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 11:20:08 AM »

That's what I read on the FordFE.com.
I know that waiting for the exact right moment for you and expecting
the part to be there, may not work out. ;)
At the release of the Genesis 427 block I told myself I would get one.
I was lucky enough to buy one of the last ones made.
There will never be another Genesis 427 so they are all vintage now. ;)
One day they will not make BBM blocks just like Ford does not make 427 Sideoiler blocks anymore.
People and companies move on.
Interesting that I also read that Genesis Sideoiler Garage iron blocks were expected "in a month".  I've sent Doug a note to get in queue for a BBM.  Not sure how I'm going to take delivery, as I will need lift-gate and not sure that BBM offers that.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 11:42:04 AM by ACHiPo »

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
To get in the "Q" I paid up front for the block. They were to ship around the 14th of Nov. It takes a container ship about 17 days to make the trip across the Pacific. Then you wait your turn to unload. I have not been notified yet. I am thinking about 2 more weeks. One thing is that container ships only leave port when full. Traffic has been way down so it takes longer to get a firm shipping date. Or so I am told.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
Personally, I don't think it is right to pay ahead of time for something that is not ready to sell.  I had to do that for the tunnel wedge, and I had some harsh words spoken to me about my questioning the whole situation.  I also have a question if it is legal to require a pre-payment for something that is not readily available.  The quality is good, but is sure makes it seem that a business is working on credit when they require a prepaid order.  Be careful how you spend your hard earned credit.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

bill_396

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 12:31:11 PM »
Probably my post on other site. I had also paid in full in advance, memory isn't that good but guessing it was August or before.
I had happened to follow-up this week and was told a shipment was in the country. My opinion only is that it is not a big group
like when they were initially released. Was contacted a few days ago to confirm shipping details and paid for that part of it then.
Was told block was in route yesterday. Doug did call with the carrier reference number, should expect it at the depot in Michigan on the 19th.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:42:10 PM by bill_396 »

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2016, 01:57:31 PM »

Interesting that I also read that Genesis Sideoiler Garage iron blocks were expected "in a month".  I've sent Doug a note to get in queue for a BBM.  Not sure how I'm going to take delivery, as I will need lift-gate and not sure that BBM offers that.
The Sideoiler Garage block is what remains of the Genesis.
An even better block than the original Genesis block.
The Genesis block evolved over the few years it was made.
Much better caps at the end.
The BBM block has better caps than an old Genesis. A lot were converted to Pro Grams.
Mine has steel caps but are not pinned.
BBM's are pinned and the SOG and Pond.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
Personally, I don't think it is right to pay ahead of time for something that is not ready to sell.  I had to do that for the tunnel wedge, and I had some harsh words spoken to me about my questioning the whole situation.  I also have a question if it is legal to require a pre-payment for something that is not readily available.  The quality is good, but is sure makes it seem that a business is working on credit when they require a prepaid order.  Be careful how you spend your hard earned credit.  Joe-JDC

I agree wholeheartedly, Joe, and certainly for my products I will take orders up front, but no money.  However, the flip side is on a high dollar item like a block, even a small production run of 50 is going to run into some serious money, well over $100K for production costs.  I don't know what kind of credit arrangement BBM has, but if he has to pay for the parts when they ship, like most of us, that is a big chunk of cash to kick out at once, so its a little easier to see where a payment in advance may be required.  Of course, the whole Genesis debacle, the Coon SOHC heads, etc., tend to make a lot of us think twice about paying in advance...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »
Who and where is side oiler garage ?
How can you even get in touch with them ?
Maybe they cater to just certain builders or something ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 03:10:15 PM »
Sideoiler Garage sells primarily through Barry R at Survival Motorsports.  I had dinner with Barry at the PRI show, and he says they are behind schedule on their next batch of blocks.  I don't have any details; contact Barry for more info.
Jay Brown