Author Topic: Burning oil on passenger side  (Read 5975 times)

Galaxie352

• View Profile
Burning oil on passenger side
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:19 AM »
Hi. What could causing the engine to burn oil on passenger side after intake swap ? I have teared it appart again, and the intake gasket seems fine. I got the print o seal gasket, have readed that i should stayed away from those gaskets. I am trying to attach a photo of the head from the passenger side, you could see that sylinder number two is flooded with oil, same on the intake port. 1,3 and 4 have also oil inn the ports, but not that much. It lookls like it have just poored oil down the valves. Also, i was able to take a test drive before disamble intake and head again. When accelerate, i hear a sound from right side of the engine, like a vakum leak. The car have been missfiring badly, have been fooling around with coils and carb, but guess i have the problem around here some place =)
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352
-55 Crown victoria 272 yblock

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Burning oil on passenger side
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 10:52:31 AM »
First things first....

Something majorly wrong with your valve springs.  They should all look like the second pair from the left. 

What do the valve seals/guides look like under the other springs?

As far as pulling oil from an intake issues, you can narrow it down like this:

If your intake valves have oil on them, then it can come from 3 spots:  1.  Down the valve guide (you will see oil coming down the stem from the guide.  2.  From the intake gasket.  Most likely the intake port will be oily but the intake manifold runner will be dry.  3.  Pulling oil into the intake manifold from a misbehaving PCV valve.  This is probably unlikely in your scenario since it seems to be related to one side only. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:39 AM »
If you think oil is getting into the intake ports, check your clearance all around the intake manifold, including the ends.  If you are using cork or rubber on the ends, they may be the cause of clearance issues, use a bead of sealer instead.  The intake may be milled at the machine shop to get the proper clearance if necessary.  If clearances are OK, you could try loosening the head bolts, retorque them to 20 or so, take the intake bolts on the head to 20 or so, then alternate both in the proper sequence to full torque.  This may help seat your gasket.
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

unclewill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:57:30 AM »
I also agree that the valvesprings look wrong...valve guides may be toast, worth checking.
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 12:36:08 PM »
Yepp, i agree with the spring. Did not mention it too se what the respond was. The engine was rebuilded some years ago.The head on the driver side also have the valve spring wrong way. What can happend with a valve spring that is turned the wrong way ? What about the rocker arm shaft turned 180 wrong way, causing the oil hole not too align and floating the head with oil ? First time cranking i noticed that there was alot of oil on the passenger head but not the driver head ? Yepp, also used the cork seals on each end, tought it will be fine. The one in the front have already startet to leak. Will use some sort of sealer next time. I also have bad compression on number 3 and 4. 3:90psi 4:75psi. 1 and 2 have 135 psi. Considder too take the whole engine out, since it also leaks some other spots..
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
You can't really turn a valve spring the wrong way.  The coils are bunched up towards the top.  Something has severely damaged them. 

A rocker shaft turned 180° won't flood a cylinder head either.  Some rocker shafts do have a second set of holes that need to face towards the intake manifold and that needs to be checked. 

The way your valve springs look, I'd take a long, hard look at the valves. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:16:11 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
Will do =)
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 01:37:45 PM »
dang !! That's what a coil spring looks like after someone heats it up with a torch to make a Low Rider

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
 :'( :'( 8)
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352

ericwevans

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
Aww c'mon guys, maybe y'all need a refresher course...  those are those new progressive rate valve springs, 80# closed, 600# open over the nose.   :o :P ;D
Eric Evans

1965 F-100, 352 FE, Tremec 3550
1960 Falcon, 306 SBF

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
You can only see the top half of the springs in the picture. Are the ones that look "normal" have the close coils on the bottom? If they are the ones in the picture with the close coil at the top are on upside down. My old man showed me that 40yrs ago. Ford made springs like that. Close coil went towards the head. If the normal springs don't have the close coils then yes there's a major problem there.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
Valve springs should have evenly spaced coils.   Coils should never be that close to each other, unless they are at open lift.   The coils on most of his springs are pretty much touching each other when the valves are closed.  Not normal. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »
Here you have a picture of driver side intake port. You can see the spring inn the back, and it have the close coils facing down. Its the same on the passenger head that you have seen. Close coils upp, and some facing down.
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
So, did fords come with this spring in 1965 ore should all be with equal spacing between the coils ?
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352

Galaxie352

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
Is there any "stock" replacement aluminium heads out there ? I am going to the machine shop on monday with the heads. And, if the price will be high, maybe i should buy a pair alu heads.
Robin
Norway
-65 Galaxie 352