Author Topic: Heat spacer or Carb spacer  (Read 5546 times)

Twinibeam66

• View Profile
Heat spacer or Carb spacer
« on: November 20, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »
Question i have a 416 build with a RPM intake real close to getting it running, i have a 4 hole super sucker are most of you running a open spacer of any kind under it or are you just using a heat gasket on the intake and then the 4 hole ????  What works best ??

Great forum

Thanks Everybody !!

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Heat spacer or Carb spacer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
Yes, no, maybe, I'll have to check.  And that's he truth.  Spacers are very, very engine dependent.  Of all the varieties, one in particular may really wake up one engine and be a real turd for another similar engine.  I have a variety of spacers for this very reason.  Pay no attention to marketing.  Your engine can't read and is going to do whatever it's going to do regardless of marketing ads.

Twinibeam66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:47:14 PM »
Ok thanks for the reply GerryP  i have NO experience with a super sucker so was just wanting to see what had worked for everybody else.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »
I usually run a 4 hole on everything as a default.  The 1" Moroso part is my go-to.  I use it to help reduce heat transfer to the carb.  Other than that, you won't know one way or the other (4 hole vs open) without a dyno or controlled drags trip runs.  I use an aluminum "super sucker" type on the dragster.  It runs alcohol, so heat isn't much of an issue.  It's blue and I like the look of it - there's your science. 

Twinibeam66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 02:42:19 PM »
Thanks Falcon67 i like the way you put that   haha

chris401

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 08:37:05 AM »
Question i have a 416 build with a RPM intake real close to getting it running, i have a 4 hole super sucker are most of you running a open spacer of any kind under it or are you just using a heat gasket on the intake and then the 4 hole ????  What works best ??

Great forum

Thanks Everybody !!
I have seen fuel mileage gains stacking the carb over 2".

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 09:10:59 AM »
I'll add that I run a 2" 4 hole on the Falcon.  Power? Heat? Testing?  Nah - because with a 1" the scoop is down in the hole of the hood and just looks weird.   ;D

Ctcobra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2019, 09:48:43 AM »
For what its worth, my 428CJ with out of the box Edelbrock heads and RPM intake gained 12 HP on a chassis dyno with a 1" Jomar Powercone spacer.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »
For what its worth, my 428CJ with out of the box Edelbrock heads and RPM intake gained 12 HP on a chassis dyno with a 1" Jomar Powercone spacer.

Simply due to straightening out the air/fuel flow I can see why a spacer, the taller the better, may increase hp/torque...but just a tad. As we all know from Jay's extensive intake manifold and spacer tests and as noted above, without dyno or track testing it;s damned hard to pin down actual gains.

Yet, I did finally get the nerve up to cut up my OEM steel hood on my '70 Mach 1 late this Fall, add a 1" spacer and a Boss 429 type scoop and get in some limited driving. Seat-of-the pants told me I did pickup some real power although how much is unknown. Was it the much cooler air admitted from the scoop? Or the 1" 4-hole spacer on a plane intake? Ram air effect at speed? Don't know and don't care as it is faster! 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 03:18:03 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 11:34:39 AM »
I ran a test in the way-back between a regular 14" air cleaner under a tear drop vs sealing same air cleaner to the hood using a pan and foam.  The change from just the vent and under hood air to sealed air from just the scoop was worth .3 in the 1/8 mile and nearly 2 MPH.  The car was running the equivalent of low 12s at that time.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 01:26:32 PM »
Here is an actual dyno test with three spacers.  Joe-JDC

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2012/09/29/carburetor-spacer-testing/         
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Twinibeam66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 09:25:47 AM »
Wow Ctcobra 12 HP thats good i will check that spacer out, also Joe-JDC good article , thanks for the replys. Im thinking i am going to try a 1/2 inch open spacer or one that matches the RPM intake with the 1 inch super sucker on top and start there and see what happens ???    Great forum appreciate all the help everybody

Twinibeam66 

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
I'm going to go order a 2" sucker now LOL.  Nice article, great test.

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 11:53:08 AM »
I make my own, and actually have dyno tested them against that red one in Ted's dyno test, and beat it by 1 hp every time.  Joe-JDC

Here are just a few of the ones we have tried on different combinations.
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Joe-JDC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
I make my own, and actually have dyno tested them against that red one in Ted's dyno test, and beat it by 1 hp every time.  Joe-JDC

Here are just a few of the ones we have tried on different combinations.
Joe-JDC '70GT-500