Author Topic: Ready for the season?  (Read 6409 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Re: Ready for the season?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2019, 01:16:30 AM »
Well I ditched the heavy mild steel anti roll bar and wish bone and making me some beefy chromoly pieces. Just about done with those. Up grading the old style wilwood breaks, new master cylinder, new rear rotors, new front rotors and calipers and all new break lines. Debating over whether to go the 8 EGT or duel wide band AFS's. Like Doug, the weather here has been sucking ass, it's so hard to get motivated when it's so dam cold in the shop. By the time I get it warmed up out there in the evenings it's time to go back in so I have just had 2 weekends a month the past 4 or 5 to do anything. Waiting on spring.
Glad to hear you got the tranny Doug, I hope it works out for you really good. I think once you get your clutch dialed in your gonna love it. Good luck.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 06:20:12 AM »
Well. I`m plugging along on the Galaxie, but it doesn't look like its gonna be done for Beaver. Some small issues with the heads, and some more parts needed. I will bring the truck though. Hey Lenz, What winds are you referring too!

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2019, 08:34:49 AM »
Did a topend rebuild last year so decided I was just going to leave it alone this winter, but the "old car" bugs got me.  Something going on in the fuel system, no fuel getting to carb.  Electric pump is running so not sure if something is wrong with the pickup.  Should be easy enough to fix but I've been staring at the car for two months avoiding it, hard to get motivated to lay on cold concrete and get drenched in gas.  New bird dog has been a factor too, most spare weekends I've been taking him quail or grouse hunting so I haven't been too motivated on the car, season's over now so time to get going.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
Glad to hear you got the tranny Doug, I hope it works out for you really good. I think once you get your clutch dialed in your gonna love it. Good luck.

Keith, for the moment, I'll just be re-using my Ram HD clutch, so the only "dialing in" will be with my left foot..lol  But I knew if I got the traction sorted out, I'd end up hurting the toploader, and I don't want to bust it up after completely rebuilding it a couple years ago. The Jerico already has a Long shifter, so gotta hack my tunnel to make it fit. Plans for later this year are for a GF5R and adjustable clutch for the new engine. I'll be installing the Gear Vendors then also since my MW driveshaft wont fit with the 5R. And like you, getting ready to install a chromemoly 8-point bar.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 11:14:01 AM »
Dragster is in the trailer - we were scheduled for a Test-N-Tune on Saturday but predictions on Friday for a 35~50 MPH west wind and sky full flying dirt killed that deal.  And it did just what the f-casters said, nasty day.  Good call to call it off.  Temp swings are too great to even put water into the trailer water system.  The motor/radiator on the dragster is wrapped with a heating blanket.  70+ this week, even Friday for the next TnT.  However, another front is coming in Friday night and the prediction is strong NW wind with wind chills in the 30s and a hard freeze Sat. night so not sure we're even going to get the first race off.  Basically, I have no idea if the car will even run.  And with the rules changes, not sure if I can even foot brake it or if I will be running in Super Pro with a box.  That was supposed to be worked out Saturday - oh, well.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 01:53:39 PM »
Since the winter is milder around here, there’s plenty of chances to drive it. I’m slowly coming to terms with driving in Houston traffic!! The rain will keep it in the garage, still trying to keep the bottom side somewhat clean. I know it’s getting filthy though. The Mustang Steve Bash set for June in Michigan should take care of the rain part. I doubt I will make that many miles and not get rained on. Things to do before then are new bearings and clutches for the third member. Get the water and oil gauges mounted and operational. Upgrade to power windows & adjust for less road noise. And try to reseal the glass so it doesn’t leak!! Depending on time, I could find more things to do.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
I feel for you guys, I had to cut my lawn Saturday, and the cherry and peach trees are in bloom, figs putting out leaves, etc.  Been green most of winter here in San Antonio.  Short sleeve weather today for sure.  Battery charger at the ready!   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 03:14:56 PM »
Waiting on clutch to come back from freshen up.  Oil is drained, new oil waiting to go in.  On jack stands patiently waiting for spring time......

Just need to the get doors back on the Mack so I have transportation!  Be a bit nip to pretend it's a CJ Jeep in April.

Larry

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
Hey Larry did you get new doors or referb the old ones? Still got to get the trailer brakes fixed and some brake work on the pickup, or else I be driving the 1 ton again.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 05:23:24 PM »
Hey Lenz, What winds are you referring too!
Hey Gary, same ones we're having today.  My skin's getting thinner, once they get past 50 mph I tend to quit.  Don't shove engines through snow drifts in a wheel barrow nearly as enthusiastically as I used to.  Well, no, I just won't do that any more period.  Somewhere between 20 and 60 my viewpoint on how and when to get things done has changed a bit...
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 06:38:30 PM »
I've been slowly poking away at my '62 Galaxie this winter, I'd really like to hear it start sometime this summer. In the meantime, got a Holley Sniper kit for the Cougar complete with the fuel tank. Going to try that and see whether or not it expands my vocabulary of foul language. I'll take a Thursday-Friday off here in the next couple weeks and give it a go.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

62Falcon390

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
ive been driving my car in between snow storms for the last few weeks. I need to get my rad repaired (leaks abit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLxhdqEilAg

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 10:20:26 PM »
Still  sitting on my arse !
Woody

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 12:27:07 PM »
Hey Larry did you get new doors or referb the old ones? Still got to get the trailer brakes fixed and some brake work on the pickup, or else I be driving the 1 ton again.

Garry, the new ones are NOS from Mack.  I've had them for 17 yrs, along with side glass sitting in the basement.  I was waiting to see if I could find a nicer cab and do a switch over.  Isn't happening, so I said WTH and got them painted.

I got the mirror brackets blasted and painted.  New felts and fuzzies for the windows.  Just trying to get everything buttoned back up and working.

I hope to get the hood painted too.  Just need to get it off the truck and to my buddy.
Larry

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
I feel for you guys, I had to cut my lawn Saturday, and the cherry and peach trees are in bloom, figs putting out leaves, etc.  Been green most of winter here in San Antonio.  Short sleeve weather today for sure.  Battery charger at the ready!   Joe-JDC

Yea - like that here all week.  78~80 this Friday, then 45 and falling on Saturday, record low for 2019 on Monday night.  If we call the weekend race,  I will unload so the dragster is in the shop and protected.  This is normal more or less for north Texas.  I've seen ice storms in April, so you never know what until possibly May.  Then we go full burn LOL.  I think spring is something that happens in Vermont or some such.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:03:39 PM by Falcon67 »