Author Topic: '26 T at AutoRama Houston  (Read 6208 times)

BruceS

• View Profile
'26 T at AutoRama Houston
« on: November 24, 2018, 03:11:52 PM »
Check out the Cammer-powered '26 T pickup at this year's AutoRama.  The owner / builder said he wanted to put Ford's biggest engine in their smallest engine bay!  I'd say he's done it.  The Cammer is tilted 30 or 40 degrees I don't remember which, with a homemade dry sump system, Autolite inline carbs, and lots of other goodies.  Hope y'all enjoy. 
Bruce
AutoRama_T_1 by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_2 by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_3 by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr
AutoRama_T_4 by BRUCE SELBY, on Flickr

66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: '26 T at AutoRama Houston
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 03:13:54 PM »
Saw that car in Detroit Autorama early this year.  An incredible piece of engineering.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 07:05:59 PM »
Oh wow. I saw one picture of it with no caption... I assumed a 4 banger with adapted valve cover.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »
Incredible, More like a sculpture than a Car

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:31:32 AM »
In Henry's favorite color too!!!

Nice!
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 09:06:00 AM »
I would like to see more pics of the front suspension

You have to be short to fit in the cab, a stock model-T
is cramped for me. And i can imagine with firewall set
back like that there is some lack of legroom
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:13:40 AM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 04:44:01 PM »
According to the last picture, that engine is rotated a full 45 degrees.  The driver's side rocker cover is horizontal.  I was wondering how he was getting the oil out of the other head - which is horizontal!  Then I saw the dry sump scavenge line going there in the underside shot...

Pretty awesome build.  Are those the unobtanium cast exhaust manifolds?  That cast oil pan is pretty trick too.

Is it just me, or should that beautiful engine package be clothed with a belly tank racer??  Why waste such engineering to push an upright refrigerator down the road  :o :o
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 05:04:23 PM »
Yes, it appears to have the ultra-rare cast iron SOHC manifolds.

Some years ago on the old Forum, I posted pics of the only manifolds I ever saw at Don Garlit's FL museum on a Cammer on display under glass.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 05:30:53 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »
According to the last picture, that engine is rotated a full 45 degrees.  The driver's side rocker cover is horizontal.  I was wondering how he was getting the oil out of the other head - which is horizontal!  Then I saw the dry sump scavenge line going there in the underside shot...

Pretty awesome build.  Are those the unobtanium cast exhaust manifolds?  That cast oil pan is pretty trick too.

Is it just me, or should that beautiful engine package be clothed with a belly tank racer??  Why waste such engineering to push an upright refrigerator down the road  :o :o

I guess its fast enough to blow that "outhose" to pieces ;D. A belly tank have more chanses to stay together.
 I woundered how they got the oil out of inverted aero engines like the Germans used a lot.
Until i saw a V8 from a Storch, The scavenge from the valvecovers was obvius. But from inside the pistons/cylinders? That Storch
engine had a "gutter" at the side of the crankcase with a scavenge line. So i guess the oil was thrown there when the piston changed
direction

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 10:09:32 PM »
I guess its fast enough to blow that "outhose" to pieces ;D. A belly tank have more chanses to stay together.
 I woundered how they got the oil out of inverted aero engines like the Germans used a lot.
Until i saw a V8 from a Storch, The scavenge from the valvecovers was obvius. But from inside the pistons/cylinders? That Storch
engine had a "gutter" at the side of the crankcase with a scavenge line. So i guess the oil was thrown there when the piston changed
direction

Funny, I was just watching a start-up procedure on the Storch. They do have an inverted V8 design, very odd. There was a specific start up procedure to turn the engine 3 full revolutions to make sure there was no hydrolok due to oil in the cylinders. Some of the older english rotary, and even later radial engines had drains built into the heads so that the bottom cylinders could be drained of any excess oil/gas before startup. I watch a lot of older aviation stuff.

As for the cammer T, that just seems like an odd install on the engine. I don't see the purpose of it unless it was all to retain the stock width hood. Still, you're adding future problems to the engine. Doesn't make sense to me. Excessive piston/cylinder wear on the right bank will be an issue. Like a lot of those builds though, function takes a back seat to looks.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 10:14:47 PM »
Those aren't factory manifolds, they appear to be custom cast like the ones on the Ardun at the SEMA show.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 12:22:29 AM »
 It's for shock and awe guys but I think the effort and packaging there is both awesome and impressive! He also effectively lowered the engine in the chassis significantly decreasing the usual bell intrusion to the footboard. I don't see an interior shot but low as it is with the big rake the floor is likely still flat.

That's a show car for you though... the winner is not always the "best" built car there but the one that draws the most attention. Take a look at the 39 Chevy Riddler winner, yes winner from a few years ago in person once.... they were too lazy to fit the waterjet cut left taillight to curve/bodyline of the fender mostly as they designed the piece to fit right side only and the fenders are not symmetrical. Lol Even the side windows that were urethaned in the guy didn't know enough to wet the tip of his finger with body solvent to smooth it out on a $450,000+/- car built to win the show! With tons of other obvious flaws, bad paint, bad fit, and mistakes in the pocket milled emblems I can not believe this  car won a large local show let alone the greatest award there is! From ten feet away though the car is low and mean with big ass custom made wheels so people raved over it. Basically "the Scorpion" of the 2000's...

To the same end a shop I worked for entered a 93 Camaro Pro Streeted Promod body build with this hideous rip away flame purple/yellow paint job, a bellybutton dressed/polished blown BBC and a lexan trans tunnel. This was a wild street car taken on whim and the fiberglass was raw under the body. No wrap around graphics or any of the other must haves of the time. Still Lobeck built the same nice but paint by numbers boring 32 he always
did so the ugliest Camaro ever built made great 8, won club choice, and people's choice. That was year Poises Extremeliner took the Don Riddler award but another runner up was nothing more than a monochromatic slammed squarebody GM crewcab dually. Lol Some Fugly stuff back then buddy!

This T on the other hand looks like something from Lil' John Buttera with some modern touchs. Two thumbs way up for whoever built it!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:31:14 AM by HvyFt4spd »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 05:35:28 AM »
I disagree Tom. They look factory except the owner had the exteriors ground down (parting lines) and/or heavily sanded to make them look as smooth as possible. They also appear to be coated too. I guess this since every other part on this car is darn near perfect so why leave the as-cast OEM manifolds kinda' crude looking in comparison?

Those aren't factory manifolds, they appear to be custom cast like the ones on the Ardun at the SEMA show.
Bob Maag

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »
direction

Funny, I was just watching a start-up procedure on the Storch. They do have an inverted V8 design, very odd. There was a specific start up procedure to turn the engine 3 full revolutions to make sure there was no hydrolok due to oil in the cylinders. Some of the older english rotary, and even later radial engines had drains built into the heads so that the bottom cylinders could be drained of any excess oil/gas before startup. I watch a lot of older aviation stuff.

As for the cammer T, that just seems like an odd install on the engine. I don't see the purpose of it unless it was all to retain the stock width hood. Still, you're adding future problems to the engine. Doesn't make sense to me. Excessive piston/cylinder wear on the right bank will be an issue. Like a lot of those builds though, function takes a back seat to looks.

I think that, probably to keep stock width hood. Wounder how they routed the framerail on the right side? Funktion /look factor is the reason to my more sculpture than car coment. Its not built to drive but more like a pieces of art. Right or wrong i guess is up to the owner to decide

A picture of the only REAL showcar built in Sweden ever. Inpractical borderline unusabel but i love it.I seen it live a couple of times
one time our carclub had a motorshow and we had it there so i could realy study the details the night before. And this one is built i late 70 early 80s
So much of it is handmade with handtool was no fancy CNC mahines then. In my eyes the builder is more artist than many famous artists

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »
It's for shock and awe guys but I think the effort and packaging there is both awesome and impressive! He also effectively lowered the engine in the chassis significantly decreasing the usual bell intrusion to the footboard. I don't see an interior shot but low as it is with the big rake the floor is likely still flat.

That's a show car for you though... the winner is not always the "best" built car there but the one that draws the most attention. Take a look at the 39 Chevy Riddler winner, yes winner from a few years ago in person once.... they were too lazy to fit the waterjet cut left taillight to curve/bodyline of the fender mostly as they designed the piece to fit right side only and the fenders are not symmetrical. Lol Even the side windows that were urethaned in the guy didn't know enough to wet the tip of his finger with body solvent to smooth it out on a $450,000+/- car built to win the show! With tons of other obvious flaws, bad paint, bad fit, and mistakes in the pocket milled emblems I can not believe this  car won a large local show let alone the greatest award there is! From ten feet away though the car is low and mean with big ass custom made wheels so people raved over it. Basically "the Scorpion" of the 2000's...

To the same end a shop I worked for entered a 93 Camaro Pro Streeted Promod body build with this hideous rip away flame purple/yellow paint job, a bellybutton dressed/polished blown BBC and a lexan trans tunnel. This was a wild street car taken on whim and the fiberglass was raw under the body. No wrap around graphics or any of the other must haves of the time. Still Lobeck built the same nice but paint by numbers boring 32 he always
did so the ugliest Camaro ever built made great 8, won club choice, and people's choice. That was year Poises Extremeliner took the Don Riddler award but another runner up was nothing more than a monochromatic slammed squarebody GM crewcab dually. Lol Some Fugly stuff back then buddy!

This T on the other hand looks like something from Lil' John Buttera with some modern touchs. Two thumbs way up for whoever built it!

I know exactly what you saying, i hate those jobs just for attention, shiny frontside, sloppy workmanship,  on the backside there is lolipop sticks and mud holding it together. IFS and IRS that have severe bumpstear built in to them etc