Author Topic: Odd main bearing marks  (Read 7950 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Odd main bearing marks
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:28 AM »
With only 400-450 horsepower, I too would look for another cause other than power.  Detonation would possibly show up on rod bearings and piston crowns.   Cap fitment would be a good spot to look. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 07:56:47 AM »
My thoughts as well Brent. Perhaps the main studs weren't torqued correctly. Check your wrench or borrow another to test both on say engine stand bolts or another bolt by comparison. At that level of hp, something else is amiss, which is why I asked about piston, ring, ring land condition.
Bob Maag

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »
are the ends of the bearings curling in at the end , were the main caps mating surface machined after the align hone ?  bearings not having any crush with the caps tightened down .

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
The rod bearings look good to me. Here is a pic of a rod bearing and piston top. I don't think it was detonation. Also, I pulled the studs and installed a main cap. I had to tap it into place with my fist and wiggle it out as it seemed to fit fairly snug. Jim
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:47:32 AM by Jim Comet »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »
Did the rod bearings fall out of the rods or do they still fit snugly?

Does that area that looks pitted at the center of the piston feel rough? 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 12:03:54 PM »
Bearings were snug. They stayed in the cap and rods as I removed them from the block. No pitting on the piston, it is actually carbon, I just went out and scotch brighted it with a little brake clean and there is no pitting. cleaned up smooth. I am going to have a machinist look at and fix up the register area. But as of right now they only thing that may be suspect is my torque wrench. Now that I think of it the only main bearing without the odd wear pattern is the center thrust. I will look tonight and see if that one has metal transfer also. Jim

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 12:04:18 PM »
Side view of pistons and rings with close up please.

Is the second ring free to spin in the groove or does it feel snug?

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »
I can get photos tonight. The second rings are Total seal 2 piece gapless. They do move and rotate freely. Jim

mike7570

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »
But as of right now they only thing that may be suspect is my torque wrench. Now that I think of it the only main bearing without the odd wear pattern is the center thrust. I will look tonight and see if that one has metal transfer also. Jim

What did you torque them too?
I think ARP recommends 110 on FE mains

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 10:06:15 PM »
I wish I could remember 20 years ago. I am sure I would have torqued them to what the instructions that came in the box with them said. At this point I think I need to have the registers checked and also my torque wrench calibration. I live in the Twin Cities, are there any places a guy can take his torque wrench to to get it checked. It is a early 90's era Craftsman clicker. My dad taught me to always release the tension on it when not in use to help maintain accuracy. Jim

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 06:15:01 AM »
Bob Maag

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 01:48:43 PM »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 02:28:06 PM »
I just tore down an engine with similar but lesser witness marks, and found that the flywheel bolts had been hitting the rear main seal area and actually gouged a groove in a circle on a different Ford engine family.  The main thrust bearing was worn on the sides, but the rod bearings looked good.  Just an extra item to check on assembly that the flywheel bolts didn't hit the block.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

TorinoBP88

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 03:58:35 PM »
I would recommend a line hone on the main.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 04:40:08 PM »
But as of right now they only thing that may be suspect is my torque wrench. Now that I think of it the only main bearing without the odd wear pattern is the center thrust. I will look tonight and see if that one has metal transfer also. Jim

What did you torque them too?
I think ARP recommends 110 on FE mains
Those recomendations was not with my studs. But i milled down the 5th cap and spotfaced all caps when i changed from bolts
to stud and nut. The bolt have the Bufo ring under the head and after the engine have been apart a few times the ring have often
dug in to the caps and the flanged nut dont get the correct support. So after a while when things have moved around the torque loosens upp. The first set of studs was bottoming out i the holes so i put a steel ball in there to pre load the treads even The other set bottomed out in top of the threads so there was not room for a ball big enough to meet the stud

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it