Author Topic: Tunnel wedge with dual FAST throttle bodies  (Read 9035 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Tunnel wedge with dual FAST throttle bodies
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 03:39:40 PM »
We'll see, lots of factors, but it'll run hard I am sure.  Hopefully you'll be happy with the tunability and part throttle performance, that is the key for the EFI
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
Is this system the Roots Blower EFI system (303002RB)??

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »
Is this system the Roots Blower EFI system (303002RB)??

No this is not a kit. It is a collection of parts that FAST thought would work. Dual throttle bodies, XFI sportsman ECU, dual sync distributor, E dash, FAST ignition (old Crane design), etc.

It isn't a complete kit since nobody makes a complete FE kit. I need to build the fuel log and the throttle linkage. The distributor gear needs to be changed for the roller cam. There is no oil pressure capability with the FAST kit for some unknown reason so that has to be solved. The linkage on the throttle bodies hits the air cleaner so something has to move or be modified, etc. Just the normal stuff when dealing with anything other than a Chevy small block!

67gt350

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I have used a FAST EZ-EFI on my F250 pickup and was very happy with it. They were very easy to deal with so I wish you the best of luck!! I will certainly be following along!!

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
No this is not a kit. It is a collection of parts that FAST thought would work. Dual throttle bodies, XFI sportsman ECU, dual sync distributor, E dash, FAST ignition (old Crane design), etc.

It isn't a complete kit since nobody makes a complete FE kit. I need to build the fuel log and the throttle linkage. The distributor gear needs to be changed for the roller cam. There is no oil pressure capability with the FAST kit for some unknown reason so that has to be solved. The linkage on the throttle bodies hits the air cleaner so something has to move or be modified, etc. Just the normal stuff when dealing with anything other than a Chevy small block!

Well, if it was just a bolt on thing what fun is that?  :)  Said the guy that spent a year putting a Ford 351C in a RED. 

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
Did a mockup in the car. Looks like the easiest approach is to run the throttle bodies forward rather than backwards. I'll put the fuel rail on the passenger side and the linkage on the driver side. Most likely need to bend the factory throttle rod assembly to get it to line up correctly but that shouldn't be too big of a task. The throttle linkage itself will need to be fabricated.

Looks like a small hood scoop is required. Might be able to get by without a scoop but the hood would need to be modified to clear the air cleaner. Some of the ribs below the hood need to be modified for clearance. That kind of stuff is outside of my wheelhouse so it will need to go to a body shop.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »
At least it looks better (and should work better) than what was in there. Appears to be a '69 intake with a 600 cfm Eddy carb. Distributor might be original, not sure about the rest of the stuff. Think the engine is a 390 but not positive. Car had a 427 in it for some time according to the last owner but no idea what happened to it.

Pentroof

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 06:01:51 PM »
I'll assume the 100 more horse from a Mopar was a joke. >:(

I'll also assume the cable connected to the exhaust bolt is a Mopar carry-over. :o
Jim

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:05 PM »
Does anyone know what the center to center distance should be for this intake? I get slightly different measurements depending on where I measure it. I'm going to go with 8.600 center to center unless someone knows better. Usually the factory used fractions rather than decimal but I don't think it is 8.625 so perhaps they went with the round number on this dimension.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
Can you turn them around backwards like the 2x4 carbs were and run a modified factory linkage?   I know you're a Mopar guy, so just trying to lend some help, but the carbs on these factory setups were turned around backwards, with the choke horns to the rear and the linkage on the pass side.  The rear carb has the linkage attachment point closer to the centerline of the shaft, but I'm sure you could modify the linkage rod and make it 1:1 instead of progressive.

The factory turned them around since the primary float bowl on a 4160 carb won't clear the distributor. The secondary bowl clears since it only has the metering plate. Throttle bodies are much smaller than carbs but these throttle bodies include the injectors so they are bit bulkier. I've mocked it up now with the distributor and it is close. I think it is going to work but I need to do a full mock up with the block to make sure that the distributor clears the throttle body when bolted in place. Air only throttle bodies would easily clear but then we would need to weld on the bungs which is a task by itself.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 06:40:02 PM »
Mocked it up in the block today and the throttle bodies clear the distributor by a small amount. Maybe a little over 1/4 inch so that is enough room for the spark plug boots to go on and not have anything rub. However, the air cleaner did not clear the distributor or the linkage so we had to add a small spacer between the air cleaner and the throttle body. That will raise the air cleaner enough that a hood scoop is now required. Might look into a crab style cap but not sure there is one that will fit the FAST distributor. The FAST distributor is probably the same as the Crane distributor since Comp Cams bought out Crane Ignition, but I'm still not sure that leads anywhere. Suppose I could buy a MSD crab cap and see if it fits.........

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »
Andy, now you have to paint the block because the great looking black bodies and valve covers make it look like poop.  :P
Very cool setup and somebody needs to come out with one for the FE.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
You think I should paint the old engine so it looks better in the pictures? Sorry, that isn't going to happen. The old engine is just a core at best, might be junk for all I know. I'm not spending any time making it look good.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 12:44:13 PM »
One man's junk is another man' gold.   ;)

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »
have you checked into Extrudehone intake?
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone