Author Topic: Tunnel wedge with dual FAST throttle bodies  (Read 9034 times)

andyf

• View Profile
Tunnel wedge with dual FAST throttle bodies
« on: July 06, 2017, 07:50:16 PM »
Starting to get everything mocked up just to see how it all fits together. Spotted some minor issues so far with the throttle linkage and the fuel line routing but nothing that can't be fixed. Still a little unsure how the XFI box interfaces with the distributor and ignition boxes but I'm sure the instructions will make it all clear. All of the sensors are clearly marked and the connectors are unique for each sensor so that stuff is hard to mess up.

mmason

• View Profile
Re: Tunnel wedge with dual FAST throttle bodies
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:04:14 PM »
I am not sure how well it is going to work for you but in the looks department, it's a 10.
Michael Mason

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Liking this!  :)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
Can you turn them around backwards like the 2x4 carbs were and run a modified factory linkage?   I know you're a Mopar guy, so just trying to lend some help, but the carbs on these factory setups were turned around backwards, with the choke horns to the rear and the linkage on the pass side.  The rear carb has the linkage attachment point closer to the centerline of the shaft, but I'm sure you could modify the linkage rod and make it 1:1 instead of progressive. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:46:29 AM »
I'm setting it up for the dyno at the moment so linkage needs to be on the driver side there. Not sure what will work best in the car, we'll have to deal with that when we get there. It is a 63 1/2 Galaxie with a 390 4bbl so we'll most likely use as much of the factory linkage as possible. I build linkage kits for a lot of dual carb applications so I'm thinking I'll be able to fabricate something that works but I might scout around for a factory setup to see if I can rob some parts from it.

The throttle linkage on the throttle bodies runs into the air cleaner so something needs to be trimmed. One problem with generic throttle bodies is the linkage tries to be all things to everybody.

I'm trying to come up with a clean solution for the fuel lines since this setup requires 4 inputs. I'm leaning towards a log manifold type design with AN fittings rather than hose barbs.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 10:00:50 AM »
Should be able to make a custom log pretty easily.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »
That throttle arm looks identical to the 1850 and can be used with the factory linkage. I used 2- 1850s on my 63 427 and all I did was to drill the arms in the right place to match the OEM arms. It works perfectly

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 02:03:22 PM »
Would love to do that on a tunnel ram on the dragster - that would be fun to play with. 

FElony

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 03:38:51 PM »
Is that TW factory or BBM?

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
Is that TW factory or BBM?

BBM and it is a very nice quality casting. They had them in stock and shipped the same day we ordered. It has a tiny bit of casting flash that can be cleaned up in a few minutes otherwise ready to run right out of the box. No idea how well it works since I've never run one before but it sure looks bad azz.

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 04:01:11 PM »
Should be able to make a custom log pretty easily.

Yeah I have a design ready to go to the shop. I started with an extra fuel rail I had left over from a previous conversion. Just need to do some drilling and tapping then send it out for anodizing and it should be ready to go.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
Is the engine still going to be 390 cubes or are you building something new for it? I have one of those intakes and was going to bolt it on to this 428 I'm building, but once I saw the air flow data I decided against it. Flows like a monster.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2017, 05:26:49 PM »
Is the engine still going to be 390 cubes or are you building something new for it? I have one of those intakes and was going to bolt it on to this 428 I'm building, but once I saw the air flow data I decided against it. Flows like a monster.

Engine is 482 inches. Factory 427 block with SCAT/Mahle rotating assembly. I think the tunnel wedge intake will work with the 482 inches even though it is going to be a street cruiser type of car. Starting out with a semi-nasty XR292R-10 solid roller cam but might back that off to something tamer if we have to. Just have to wait and see how the EFI setup works with the cam. In hindsight I probably should've had Comp spread the lobes out a bit. The XR292 lobes might have been better on 112 or 114 centers. I'm sure the 110 cam will make good power on the dyno but it might be a handful on the street.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »
That should be 75 degrees overlap, shouldn't be bad with EFI.  It'll be strong!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

andyf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »
I'm thinking it will make 650+ hp on the dyno. If it was a big block Mopar with the same type of parts it would make 750 hp but everyone tells me that the FE motors don't make as much. Guess we'll find out.