Author Topic: Idiot with Ford 360 - fuel overloading issues  (Read 16302 times)

cowboy6622

• View Profile
Re: Idiot with Ford 360 - fuel overloading issues
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »
It already had a new Duraspark box, new distributor with new electornic module in that, new coil, new solenoid.... I restored the truck! Also had new brakes, new suspension, re did the interior..... it wasn't just a "I popped a new intake on the engine and took off" deal.... I rebuilt it with new rings, bearings, new heads, intake, checked the throw on the cam, honed out the engine, new gaskets, etc.....

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
Set the timing to 12 initial like Joe said, recheck the firing order, and be very careful checking it.

After that, readjust idle and see how it does
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:35 AM »
When checking your firing order make sure you are counting the cylinders correctly. Also make sure the distributor is not off 180 deg.:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:08:20 AM by jmlay »
Mike

cowboy6622

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:11 AM »
I'm pretty sure I counted the cylinders right.  I've built three Ford 302's for people, built 2 FE blocks... I don't count like a Chevrolet man ;)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
A short story about new carbs. My brother put on a brand new Holley carb, braided steel fuel lines, filters and the whole shebang. The car would run great for a while and then give him lean or flooding problems intermittently. After fighting it for a summer he finally notices that there was always the same type black debris in the carb when he serviced it to fix the problem. It ends up that the braided steel line he used was breaking down inside and bit by bit would mess up his carb. My point for telling this is maybe something is boogering up your new carb. I believe it would be worth looking into it. Maybe there was a chunk of dirt, rust or something in a line when you hooked it up? Factories aren't perfect. Maybe a metal shaving came loose during shipping and is messing with the needle and seat assembly. My vote would be to try and find a friend with a known good running carb and see if that changes how your truck runs. The other thing that would help to know is this random and intermittent or is it repeatable at certain engine temps, engine rpm or during or after you drive the truck in a certain manner (towing or drag racing?). Jim

cowboy6622

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
It's pretty consistent.  Depending on the weather, it can be easy to overload on initial start in the driveway and can be flooded it out.  Before, it would always try to flood when you went more than about half throttle... I'd say at about the point where the secondaries are opening up.

I have a carburetor on my '68 Torino and I could pop the one of my dad's 302 and see what happens. 

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 08:12:45 PM »
Is it bogging or flooding?  A bog is generally lean, and a flood is rich.  It would take a firehose of fuel to flood enough that it killed the motor with the choke open
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 10:52:29 AM »
It's pretty consistent.  Depending on the weather, it can be easy to overload on initial start in the driveway and can be flooded it out.  Before, it would always try to flood when you went more than about half throttle... I'd say at about the point where the secondaries are opening up.

I have a carburetor on my '68 Torino and I could pop the one of my dad's 302 and see what happens.

I do so in a hurry!
Bob Maag

cowboy6622

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »
I pulled the plugs and they had a red tint to them which from what I read, indicates an additive in a fuel I've been using.  87 octane, no ethanol when I can find it. 

cowboy6622

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
My dad came out and we screwed with it 3 times... taking the carb off twice.  My dad says it acts like the timing isn't advancing, but a timing light shows otherwise.  So he said ti actsl ike when the old points and condensor set ups didn't have the points opened up enough.  This distributor has the little "teeth" I guess and the piece they run past... and they all but touch.   I remember when the distributor was new it felt like it "clicked" past the electronic module in it.  Should I replace the distributor then?

Another trick he figured out was if you opened the choke about halfway, it accelerates fine. 

I've also seen some people running the firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.  Anyone have any experience with doing that?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:24:15 PM by cowboy6622 »

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 05:46:06 PM »
If it runs good with the choke held open, odds are the choke is your issue, is it not opening when hot?  That would do what you originally described.  Choke thermostats go bad all the time

As far as the firing order, it is what it is, you can't switch them around, use an FE firing order

Did you set the timing and check the firing order like we recommended?
Ross

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 06:38:29 PM »
Several points. First, if I understand properly, running with the choke blade only half open improves things? That suggests a carb problem. By cutting off some of the air flow, you are changing the signal to the boosters. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 is the only way an FE works.

Keep us up-to-date with what's happening!

KS

cowboy6622

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:25 PM »
i get "open" and "closed" for choke mixed up.  The choke is manual, no electric or thermostat or nothing. 

If you set the choke as though you were driving down the road with the engine warm, it won't take fuel.

If you set the choke halfway, as though you were trying to warm up the engine, so that its getting more fuel, it revs and runs fine in the yard. 

My dad thought it acted like old points and condensors would act if you set the point gap too tight.

chris401

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »
i get "open" and "closed" for choke mixed up.  The choke is manual, no electric or thermostat or nothing. 

If you set the choke as though you were driving down the road with the engine warm, it won't take fuel.

If you set the choke halfway, as though you were trying to warm up the engine, so that its getting more fuel, it revs and runs fine in the yard. 

My dad thought it acted like old points and condensors would act if you set the point gap too tight.

Looks like a vacuum leak. Never did say what intake you had. C5AE-C? I dont know if other intakes mentioned will bolt up. It is worth looking at. Is truck an automatic? Check moduel on tranny and fluid consumtion. That wont be your hole problem  but I think it burns plugs red. Been a while sence I have seen an old auto in the shop.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »

Looks like a vacuum leak. Never did say what intake you had. C5AE-C? I dont know if other intakes mentioned will bolt up. It is worth looking at. Is truck an automatic? Check moduel on tranny and fluid consumtion. That wont be your hole problem  but I think it burns plugs red. Been a while sence I have seen an old auto in the shop.

Yep, and to the original poster.  Open versus closed choke is the same as mouth.  Open you can breathe, close you can't

If you close it 1/2 way and it does better, odds are you have a vacuum leak, and generally, its at the intake manifold. 
Ross