Author Topic: 446 FE build thread  (Read 2642 times)

scott foxwell

446 FE build thread
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »
This is a build thread for a 446 I did back in 2010. The engine had horrible valve train issues and was brought to me for a "freshen". Lots of pics, lots of details. Thought it might be interesting read for some.

http://www.performanceboats.com/gn7-dyno/70625-446ci-ford-fe-build.html

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:19:16 AM by scott foxwell »

Thumperbird

• View Profile
Re: 446 FE build thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:52:20 AM »
Thank you.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 12:29:14 PM »
That's interesting about the Dove rockers.... 5-6 years ago that's what was on our drag car. Kept having issues and would randomly split one. We thought we were being pretty careful with the geometry and all that. Your info may explain our past problems. Since then I've acquired the right tools and am finally able to check stuff like that.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 01:45:37 PM »
Things happen, bad run on parts, ECT. Early 2000's I had 5 outa 16 sharp rockers push the adjusters right out of the rocker at 630lb open. Now that was f***ed up. Got a set of FPP rockers and soon snapped a couple off at the adjuster end. Dove had came out with there wide body HD rockers so I popped for a set.  Ran them for almost 4 years in a 3000lb 10.20 mustang. All good parts so to speak, sharp fixed there problems,  Doug fixed the old FPP/ precision  rockers. Just saying sometimes there's a bad run. Everything needs to be checked for tolerances,  unfortunately material quality isn't as easy to check .
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »
It's been years, but Joe Sherman did an FE build that didn't turn out too well and he saw the same ratio issues and almost the same numbers.  I haven't used the Doves myself, I leaned toward Erson rockers when they were available, Harland Sharp is always a good bet too, and T&D seems to be the rocker of choice now.

I wonder if there was a stretch of crappy Dove rockers?  Lot's of guys run them, and you'd think that to make enough of them they'd have a fixture to drill to avoid the crazy ratios, but surely seems like they are out there.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:06:57 AM »
I believe, My427stang, this is the Sherman build you mentioned. He does note the rocker issues.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0811-ford-428-cobra-jet-engine/

It's been years, but Joe Sherman did an FE build that didn't turn out too well and he saw the same ratio issues and almost the same numbers.  I haven't used the Doves myself, I leaned toward Erson rockers when they were available, Harland Sharp is always a good bet too, and T&D seems to be the rocker of choice now.

I wonder if there was a stretch of crappy Dove rockers?  Lot's of guys run them, and you'd think that to make enough of them they'd have a fixture to drill to avoid the crazy ratios, but surely seems like they are out there.
[/quote]
Bob Maag