Author Topic: Desktop dyno 5  (Read 1530 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Desktop dyno 5
« on: January 21, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »
Hi
I have a question on this sim software.
I have imputed all my info into the program on my 428 build I am buying parts for now.
I think the HP and torque are way to high for my build.
It gives me 563 FPT and 554 HP at 5000.
I would love to have that figure but it seems high to me.
I have checked and rechecked my stats to make sure they are right.
What have people found out on how this program stacks up to real dyno results?
thanks
Greg

plovett

Re: Desktop dyno 5
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:20:08 AM »
I don't have Desktop Dyno 5 or any dyno software at all now.  But I used to have Dynosim.  I compared it's results to real world results dozens of times.  Including cylinder head flow data was maybe the most important thing, but even so the program almost always overstated the low end torque and the torque peak, just like your figures.  Something like 7-8% high.  I found the peak hp numbers to be very close to real world data.

Just FYI,

paulie

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:42 AM »
I personally use Engine Analyzer Plus and Drag Strip Analyzer.  I can use DA to load current configurations from EA and compare to real time slips.  EA has been pretty accurate in my estimation.  It has a bunch of inputs that need to be accurately stated and will accept (and store) real measured data like cylinder head flow and such.  Not sure about the current release of Desktop Dyno, but when I looked at the programs years ago, EA had a gazillion more inputs for even the "consumer" version than DD had.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:03:51 AM »
I bought this to kind of give me a outline of what changes would affect power and torque. I didn't expect it to be very close to what the engine would really put out but their HP figures seem to be about 80 to 100 horsepower to high.
The only choices you have on head flow are wedge closed chamber,open chamber hemi etc.
I expected the HP figure on the engine I am building to be around the 425 Hp or a little higher.
Guess I will find out when I get it together.
Thanks for the reply's
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 03:17:31 PM »
I would add that I typically use EA to look at the possible effect of a change more than looking for some exact output number. 

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:35:34 PM »
That is what I usually use it for but with the HP and torque being so far off I wonder how accurate those results will be.
I guess it is useful for that
Thanks for the answer
Greg