Author Topic: Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?  (Read 6911 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Racing seats, any advice on what to look for?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 11:17:05 PM »
Ricky---

Something on the order of a Lincoln back seat from the boneyard can be made into a very worthwhile bench seat for a truck. Spend a bit of time with a tape-measure and I'm sure you'll find something.

KS

winr1

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2019, 04:09:33 PM »
Thanks KS :-)

Ricky.

FElony

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2019, 04:39:56 PM »
Ricky---

Something on the order of a Lincoln back seat from the boneyard can be made into a very worthwhile bench seat for a truck. Spend a bit of time with a tape-measure and I'm sure you'll find something.

KS

You need a tilter so you can access behind the seat.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2019, 06:50:13 PM »
I have seen late model ***cough***Chev***cough*** truck bench seats adapted. The late model stuff uses foam instead of heavier springs.

chris401

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2019, 11:11:44 AM »
Thanks Doug

I did not see any wide enough for my 65 F100

I could go as wide as 64" on the bottom and 60.5 on the back

That would be a bit wider than the factory bench in the 65

Ricky.
Truck seats up till 1997 HD are a bolt in for our older trucks. The seat will bolt up to the original seat tracts. I have a mid line Racetech that fits OK. A local racer said it depends on the person sitting in the seat. Sometimes a cheap seat fits better than an expensive one.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2019, 10:36:28 PM »
Ricky---

KS

You need a tilter so you can access behind the seat.

By the time I put the Lincoln back seat in my ''63 Effie ICB, I'd moved the gas tank from behind the seat and replaced it with a fuel cell in the front of the bed just behind the cab. I never lacked for space in the bed for anything I wanted to carry and there was no reason to get behind the seat.

KS

winr1

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2019, 02:00:44 PM »
Thanks much guys :-)

Again, sorry about the hi jack

Ricky.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »
No problem, Ricky. I was going to tell you about the newer seats fitting, but you said you wanted something light weight. A friend put a newer bench seat (mid '90s I think, but not sure of exact year) in an old '66 I sold him. It fit pretty snug, but it did fit and was much more comfortable than the original. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it sat up a bit higher and made it sorta close to the steering wheel. I'm a thin guy, and I thought it was snug, so a bigger fella might have issues.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe