Author Topic: All things FE Headers.  (Read 27615 times)

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
Re: All things FE Headers.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 02:17:13 PM »
Hi Drew !   
And thanks for those tidbits about your FPA install ......  I am considering them for mine..... Are yours ceramic coated, and if so, do you feel your under hood temps improved ?

Thanks in advance and hope all is well :)

63.5 Galaxie
Fpa headers
Hit a-arm passenger side, a-arm can be ground or have 1/4 inch removed with no ill effects.
Steering hits header tube on passenger side at full travel but no Issue so no action taken.
Steering is power parts but control valve changed to borgeson adapter and functions as manual.
To test run engine I installed empty c6 case with no issues however I could not install or remove a ready to run c6 as I could not install it at that angle with a converter in place.
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 04:33:17 PM »
Hey Norm,
Through the engine changes I had fpa coated headers both times, so I can't really compare on if the coating helps.
I'm inclined to think it doesn't help much, at least with these headers.

Pentroof

• View Profile
Hooker 6113
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
My Hooker 6113s on my 66 Cyclone were purchased in 2006. They do not interfere with the oil filter when using the stock filter mount. Perhaps Hooker got some feedback on that at some point and made a change to the two forward pipes on the driver's side. They are very close to the filter, but do not contact it.

I have a 4 speed, manual steering car and not fitment issues other than the pitman arm at full turn.

They sure hang low and the flanges make it worse.
Jim

Pentroof

• View Profile
FPA Tri-Y 2WD F100
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 05:38:50 PM »
This is a bit unconventional because this truck has a 2011 Crown Vic front crossmember in it, but these are my FPA Tri-Y headers in my 1970 F100. These are the standard headers, with no consideration for the CV modification. They fit very well, other than not being able to drop the starter without removing or at least loosening the passenger side.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:45:14 PM by Pentroof »
Jim

blu64galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 08:40:00 PM »
Hey Drew ,    Thanks for your quick and honest reply. :)  Looks like my research continues ....it's only December, so I got lotsa time, lol.  ::)

Hey Norm,
Through the engine changes I had fpa coated headers both times, so I can't really compare on if the coating helps.
I'm inclined to think it doesn't help much, at least with these headers.
Norm Russo  blu64galaxie

1964 Galaxie 500  aka 'the blue goose'

cyclonefe

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 10:04:41 PM »
I ran across this thread on a google search and thought I might add a story to this.  I have a 1968 Mercury Cyclone that I have intentions on Drag Racing in Stock Class.  My motor, 428 of course, was built by who I feel is one of the best 428 builders in this country.  He told me one thing, NO street headers.  He said that his dyno has shown that the HP he put into my motor would only be used best with either 2" or 2 1/8" headers, anything less would waste his efforts.  That started me on a search for the Hooker headers.  I found that many fit-up issues were common not to mention the price.  So I tried set from a fellow that would not fit but cost half as much as the Hookers.  Then I had a friend buy an new set of Hookers for his 1968 Torino, and they fit fine, but his car had been modified by having the crossmember removed and blocked off at the bottom of the shock towers.  The Mustangs have a "bar" the connects the shock towers and the Toinos and Cyclones have this much larger crossmember.  I had also purchased a used set of Hookers that are really worn badly and could never get them to fit.

Then one day I came upon a fellow on Facebook who said he had worked at Hooker back in California back in the day.  We called each other several times and he had worked on the Hooker 6375 series headers.  He also happened to be there when they were shutting down and moving operations to Mexico.  He told me that one of the workers had taken a set of 6375's and modified it to fit his particular car and combination, but when they needed a set of headers to send to Mexico as the "master" he sent his modified ones.  He felt that was the reason for the ill fitting ones that were on the market.  One of the reasons I was thinking of this was a posting on FB that he had passed away this week, much too soon.

I had been back in contact with him last summer when I was able to find what I believe to an original set of 6375's from the California era and I am looking into the coming future of cutting the crossmember in my Cyclone for installation.  Photos attached

I just thought you might like to add this to the story of an interesting header.

Thanks

Steve
Steve Jackson

1968 Mercury Cyclone GT

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »
I’m glad you found the thread, thanks for adding to it. I have a friend who has an old set of the Hooker 6376 2” race headers, I’ve been meaning to get him to dig them out and I’ll mock them up for some pictures, maybe this spring. I understand our local CJ racer Ben Line, brother of Pro Stock racer Jason Line, has been making 428 CJ Stock Eliminator race headers, I don’t know what he’s charging, likely not cheap. Just something you might want to keep in mind.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2020, 03:39:16 AM »
I'm somewhat of a self proclaimed expert on Hooker 6375's since I bought my 1st set in the mid 70's and have gone through 2 sets since then with another in storage as spares.

"Then one day I came upon a fellow on Facebook who said he had worked at Hooker back in California back in the day.  We called each other several times and he had worked on the Hooker 6375 series headers.  He also happened to be there when they were shutting down and moving operations to Mexico.  He told me that one of the workers had taken a set of 6375's and modified it to fit his particular car and combination, but when they needed a set of headers to send to Mexico as the "master" he sent his modified ones.  He felt that was the reason for the ill fitting ones that were on the market.  One of the reasons I was thinking of this was a posting on FB that he had passed away this week, much too soon.

I had been back in contact with him last summer when I was able to find what I believe to an original set of 6375's from the California era and I am looking into the coming future of cutting the crossmember in my Cyclone for installation.  Photos attached "

The 6375's did end up being made in Mexico and I can tell you that the fit is still close but given the old patterns, dies and where they were last made the fitment isn't as good as the old days. The story about a modified version being produced is bogus and keep in mind that the 6375's were never designed to fit in 68 Cyclones. The application was 67-70 Mustang, Cougar and 66-67 Fairlanes along with 70-71 Mavericks. They didn't fit that great in a Fairlane and a Maverick wasn't exactly a bolt on but I like them because they do fit my Mustang. The pictures you've provided are 6375's with the collector extensions tack welded on. Now... they might be close or even fit well but the "California era" has nothing to do with that.

REF are very common these days among racers and obviously they work but I'm not keen on the look although they do have a lot more ground clearance. MadDog makes what seems like a close copy of the 6375 and I'd be interested in seeing what Lance Line is building. As far as I know, Hooker discontinued the 6375 and other variants several years ago.     

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
The 6375's seem to be meant for Mustangs and the fact they come close to fitting Fairlanes is an afterthought and they need trimming to fit them. They hit the back of the crossmember and the rib in the shock tower and watch the steering when the suspension comes up in a turn. I think you need to make a Maverick fit the headers rather than the other way around.

The 68 isn't any different than a 66-67 Fairlane for header fitment.

Looks like acres of space in that truck with the Crown Vic suspension, i'm surprised it fits with a front sump oil pan. Clean job of that.

cyclonefe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 07:20:37 PM »
Kevin,

Ben Line is the only member of the family I have not met.  Lance built my motor and he kept telling me that If I could not find the 6375, Ben could build them, he just said he wasn't cheap. 

REF, are made in Arizona (I believe), and Curtis Coulter had those on his 1968 Cyclone he ran in D/S.  He said they custom made his and had his car for a while.  He has sold the car and I believe it has gone into a museum I heard.

I am attaching photos of my friend's 68 Torino with the new 6375's (from 2011).  In one you can see where the car had the crossmember cut out.

Steve
Steve Jackson

1968 Mercury Cyclone GT

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2020, 11:04:03 PM »
Likes and dislikes.  Long tube headers, at least mine, the collector flange is past the bell housing so for us three pedal guys it means dropping the headers to get to the clutch.  Since mine is only a street car if I had to do again I think I would try shorties.  Also I would not have them ceramic coated till after I know they need no massaging.  Hammering on ceramic can crack it, and besides if you are not satisfied with the coating job, you don’t accept it from your local coating guy, you’re not re packaging and sending back to who knows where....JMO

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »
Kevin,

Ben Line is the only member of the family I have not met.  Lance built my motor and he kept telling me that If I could not find the 6375, Ben could build them, he just said he wasn't cheap. 

REF, are made in Arizona (I believe), and Curtis Coulter had those on his 1968 Cyclone he ran in D/S.  He said they custom made his and had his car for a while.  He has sold the car and I believe it has gone into a museum I heard.

I am attaching photos of my friend's 68 Torino with the new 6375's (from 2011).  In one you can see where the car had the crossmember cut out.

Steve
Curtis' car is for sale right now. Never went into a museum.
462 by Bob Smith, on Flickr

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2020, 09:53:21 PM »
I did my car like all the 68-69 current NHRA SS cars are set up. Front & mid plate. Dtag link thru the pan. 2-1/8, 2-1/4, 2-3/8 stepped.

My 68 1088 by Bob Smith, on Flickr
My 68 1086 by Bob Smith, on Flickr
My 68 1092 by Bob Smith, on Flickr
My 68 1082 by Bob Smith, on Flickr

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2020, 10:38:00 PM »
Wow, those are some amazing 90 degree bends around the steering components!
Bob Maag

67428GT500

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2020, 01:33:53 AM »
The 6114 Mustang/Cougar FE offering no longer has to be drilled for the "GT" head. The ends at the top are slotted. They are no longer manufactured in Mexico and  the only place it required a little nudge was were the pitman arm made a little contact.  In every other way they fit perfectly on both the C6AE-R and the Edelbrock heads.

-Keith