Author Topic: Blair Patrick 482 rebuild, 647 HP  (Read 8394 times)

Dan859

• View Profile
Blair Patrick 482 rebuild, 647 HP
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Last fall, I posted here regarding the engine for my 64 Comet, and got quite a bit of good advice regarding a possible rebuild.  At the time, the engine was a Genesis block, offset ground 428 crank with 4.10 stroke, Dove hi-riser heads and Dove tunnel wedge dual quad intake.  It dynoed at 532 HP and 506 ft-lbs, but wasn't street friendly at lower RPMs.  Thanks again to everyone for the comments and advice.  The engine had developed an internal ticking noise, so I figured there was some sort of serious internal problem.  I pulled the engine and put the car up for the winter.  After discussions with several forum members, I decided to have the engine rebuild by Blair Patrick.
He and I spent a great deal of time talking about my goals and what I wanted out of the engine.  He was quite patient with me and answered all my questions, even the stupid ones :).  He never tried to push me in any particular direction; he would lay out various options, explain them to me, and we'd come to a decision.  I can't say enough about how pleasant it was to work with him.  He's not only extremely knowledgeable, he's easy to talk to and a real good guy.
When we had the details worked out, I loaded up the engine and took it down to him.  I spent a few days there while he tore the engine down, and found the ticking noise was a bad rod bearing.  Glad I stopped driving it when I did!
We had set the goals as a 482 CID, dual quad engine that would make 600HP and be street friendly at lower speeds/RPMs.  The specs on the build are as follows:

Block:
   -Genesis block prepped as follows:
     -Pro-Gram billet main caps
    -Deck water holes corrected
    -Lifter valley webbing machined for proper drain back.
    -Align honed, square decked, plate honed
    -Canton pan & screen windage tray
Reciprocating assembly:
    -Forged 4.250 Scat crank
    -Scat 6.700 rods w/bolt upgrade
    -Custom CP pistons 4.255 bore, reverse dome 
    -Total Seal custom rings
    - 10.5:1 static compression ratio
Camshaft:
    -Bullet custom grind billet hydraulic roller cam
    -Advertised duration, 300/311
    -Duration at .050, 243/252
    -Lobe lift, .3325, .3325
    -Gross valve lift, .585, .585
    -Morel hydraulic roller lifters
Heads:
      -BBM heads, light porting
      -BP spec Ferrea valves
      -BP valve job
      -Beehive springs
      -Smith Bros pushrods
      -Bushed, non-adj rockers, HD shafts, studs, billet stands/end supports
Intake:
   -Dove, tunnel wedge, light internal mods, portmatched
Carbs:
   -Twin, Holley 600 carbs

After he finished the build, Blair held onto the engine a bit for me, as I work overseas and wouldn't be back to the States until September.  He had it dynoed just before I got back.  It made 647HP at 6000 RPM, with 631 ft-lb of torque at 4800 RPM.  I've got the engine back in the car now, and to say I'm happy would be an understatement!  Blair hit it out of the ballpark!!  If you compare the engine specs to my earlier post regarding the engine, this one has the same compression ratio, same camshaft, same carburetors, same ignition and a very similar intake (med riser vs. high riser).  Basically, it's about 30 CID bigger with BBM heads, yet I picked up over 100 HP and 100 ft-lbs.  Driving it on the street is like night and day.  I can cruise around town in 3rd gear at 2000 RPM with no issues.  When I hit the throttle, there's no bog or hesitation, the car just goes!  It's everything I wanted it to be and more.  Blair, Thank You!!!
I'll attach the dyno sheets as a reply, as I can't seem to get them to attach here.     

Dan859

• View Profile
Re: Blair Patrick 482 rebuild, 647 HP
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:56:56 AM »
Here's the second dyno sheet.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:57:52 AM »
Dan, it was my pleasure!  I'm going to send Jay a pic of the lifter valley mods...I'm sure he will post it on here.....those blocks will hold about two quarts of oil there when the engine is running, and that was probably what got your rod bearing in the old engine......just some info for the group.......
Blair Patrick

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 10:26:23 AM »
Here's the picture of the Genesis block modification.  The Shelby blocks come with those slots machined in the valley area:

Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 11:26:37 AM »
I usually put lateral holes through the webs "front to back" and let it drain through the ends.

Dan859

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 01:34:41 PM »
Blair, thanks for forwarding those pics so they could be posted.  I imagine having 2 quarts of oil trapped like that wasn't a great help in the overall scheme of things.  Of course, the fact that the original builder put in a used distributor that had the end cut off and ground to fit probably didn't help.  Especially when the hex socket in the end of the shaft cracked at each corner and allowed the distributor shaft to spin on the oil pump shaft instead of actually turning the oil pump.  That probably didn't help much, either.  Live and learn, I guess.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
Dan, sent you a PM.

ntheogen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »
Nice work Blair. Enjoy Dan.

scott foxwell

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
Nice build!

wsu0702

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
That is very close to the build specs that I am currently planning for my street/strip application.  The only major differences are the block (I have a BBM block) and the intake/carburation.  I am limited to a 4V intake since it is for a shaker mustang. I already have a BT MR 4V intake and I am thinking about going with a 950cfm Holley.  I know it's just an educated guessing game but how much lower do you think the numbers would be with my induction restrictions (everything else being identical)?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 04:23:09 PM by wsu0702 »

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »
I usually put lateral holes through the webs "front to back" and let it drain through the ends.

I'm no engine builder like you or Blair, but that was my first thought.  "Why would I want all the oil to fall on the crank?"  Seems routing it out back would make good sense.  I'm sure he's got a reason tho.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:59:38 PM »
Not a bad idea for camshafts to have some oil drain on them from above.  The windage from the camshaft will sling the oil to the walls and run back down the block fairly aggressively.  Many ways to skin that cat/empty the valley of oil.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500