Author Topic: Weight savings for a 64.5 mustang....  (Read 4476 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Weight savings for a 64.5 mustang....
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2021, 12:53:22 PM »
. There is a big difference in weight between the aluminum and cast iron aftermarket Ford 302 blocks, because the aftermarket blocks are quite beefy.   I've had the aluminum Dart Ford 302 blocks in here and I could quite literally pick one up off the floor with one finger, when the block was sitting on the floor on its bellhousing flange.  They weigh about 85 lbs.   The Dart cast iron blocks weigh 160 with a 4" bore.  It goes down a bit when you take them to a 4.125-4.170" bore.

The aftermarket cast iron blocks will support 370-380 cubes with a 3.400" crankshaft.   "Streetable" horsepower would be around 475-500 in that trim.       

Seems I have to keep reminding myself of these things, you are quite correct. An extra 4K to save 65 pounds is a tad bit on the unreasonable side. I know the aftermarket iron blocks are heavier than a stick block, but how much heavier? 20-30 pounds? Seems to me that’s a good trade off for more cubes and a bullet proof block.

Yes sir, that's a good estimate.  The Dart blocks are about 160 lbs. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2021, 01:57:19 PM »
One of the best things I ever did for my '66 2+2, 4 speed was install a 351W.  Turned the car into a beast with simple upgrades that were completely streetable.  The torque difference alone was worth the few pounds difference in weight, and going to aluminum heads, aluminum intake manifold, aluminum water pump, headers, aluminum radiator, aluminum driveshaft, fiberglass front valence panel, fiberglass hood/hood scoop, and it was a pure joy to drive.  Didn't need more than a 3.50:1 gear to keep up with just about anything the street could throw at it.  With the 351W, you can go huge stroker builds today, and still keep the weight down to that of the original 260/289 iron engine.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 02:18:42 PM »
One of the best things I ever did for my '66 2+2, 4 speed was install a 351W.  Turned the car into a beast with simple upgrades that were completely streetable.  The torque difference alone was worth the few pounds difference in weight, and going to aluminum heads, aluminum intake manifold, aluminum water pump, headers, aluminum radiator, aluminum driveshaft, fiberglass front valence panel, fiberglass hood/hood scoop, and it was a pure joy to drive.  Didn't need more than a 3.50:1 gear to keep up with just about anything the street could throw at it.  With the 351W, you can go huge stroker builds today, and still keep the weight down to that of the original 260/289 iron engine.  Joe-JDC

+1
Best advice yet.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2021, 03:06:55 PM »
Years ago, when I got the car, that was exactly what I had in mind. Only of course, since I was building it in my head, it was going to be a 460 inch aftermarket block with really good heads and the works.
I am still a big fan of cubic inches.

Now that I have the car on wheels and running ( not driving yet  :-[ ), I am liking the idea of keeping it a 302 based deal. While it’s fun to talk about all the “what if’s” , getting a good 450-500 HP under the hood, and getting the rest of the car upgraded to properly handle the power, the car will be all kinds of
Fun and hold its own rather well I think. Of course, the little voice in the back of my head is telling me that it would cost almost exactly the same amount of money to put together a stroker 460 cobe 351 block as it does to build a 302 based 363..... .

But for now at least, I’m liking the little 302, looks good in the engine bay and I can get to the spark plugs......

Saw a really nice (65 I think ?) mustang that CJ pony parts put together with a coyote motor, looks like a really nice car, but I could not get over how massive that engine looked in the engine bay. But I’ll bet that thing freaking scoots.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2021, 03:54:07 PM »
351W is a bolt in with headers available for the swap.  500 hp with a 351W is a lot easier to get than with 302, IMO.   Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2021, 05:06:32 PM »
...Saw a really nice (65 I think ?) mustang that CJ pony parts put together with a coyote motor, looks like a really nice car, but I could not get over how massive that engine looked in the engine bay. But I’ll bet that thing freaking scoots.

That Coyote motor has an aluminum block and is about the same width as a BBF.

On another note, I did a swap of many of the factory parts on my '65 1/2 Mustang for Shelby stuff back within a few months of getting the
car new. With a four-point mild-steel roll-bar it finally weighed about 2800. Gratiot Auto had a bunch of Shelby hoods and rear decks that were made-up for the GT350s.

KS

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 11:06:22 AM »
Want to thank everyone for the advice, warnings and input.

I think I’ll make a few lists, one list for no-brain-er mods, one for possible mods
And a third list of “would be cool but cost to much”
Of course this is my list, so I suspect things will change and move around as time goes by,
but I welcome any input.

So,
“No brainer, weight savings stuff “
1, aluminum heads, intake and WP
2, aluminum flywheel
3, light weight disc brakes ( already have those )
3a, aluminum. Master cylinder ( dual cast iron thing weighs a ton in comparison ! )
4, light weight forged wheels
5, aluminum radiator and electric fan
6, light weight, relocated battery
7, light weight starter and alternator
8, headers

“Wish list, possible weight saving stuff”
1, light weight crank and balancer
2, mono leaf composite leaf springs. ( have read good things about these )
3, aluminum 3rd member
4, lighter weight front suspension ( this should probably be in the no brain-er list)
5, lighter weight 5 speed ( TKX ?)
6, full stainless exhaust

“Cost too much for me but cool”
1, aluminum block
2, aluminum or composite driveshaft
3, aluminum rear end housing ( this may change? )
4, any carbon fiber body panels
5, gun drilled axles ( no idea what they cost but can’t imagine the weight savings being all that great )

And the bonus list, things I will or may do to the car that will add weight
1, sub frame connectors
2, rear panhard bar
3, upgrade to 9 inch rear end
4, install a T-56 6speed
5, aftermarket iron block

I’ll edit this list as I go along. And hopefully, as I start working on it this summer, I will weigh everything as I go along and keep track of everything.

Joe

« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 11:35:57 AM by Joey120373 »