Author Topic: Prototype Adjustable timing chain set  (Read 38850 times)

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
Re: Prototype Adjustable timing chain set
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
I bought 50 sets from that guy 10 or 12 years ago.  Hell of a coincidence....... the bottom gears never made it!  I still have a bunch of top gears that I couldn't use.  I have used all of the chains.  I protested with my CC company.  They had already remitted the funds to him, but they made it good with me.   Ended up buying the top gears and chains from the CC company for the price of chains only, to help them survive their taking care of me.  I hope your lower gears end up coming.........
Blair Patrick

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
Boy, that is quite a coincidence.  My shipment had three boxes according to the shipping company, and I have only received two, so at least I know there is still one more box out there...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2016, 03:52:45 AM »
Hopefully it will make it.  I want to put one of those on my little port injected EFI project.  The runners are so long that I am not sure my time-tested observations on where to put the cam with conventional manifolds will be right.  We can dial her in on the dyno with your piece.  Maybe that box just got separated.  I sent a box to Australia once that got stuck for a week in Austria...... then it finally got headed right.  I was sure it was history, but it ended up making it.
Blair Patrick

stubbie

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 23, 2016, 11:02:42 PM »
We here on the island Australia are used to it. Austria, Australia same place to some people. Only 12000km apart.
Jay just curious as to why you had your gears made in Australia and not in the USA?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:12:24 PM by stubbie »

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 23, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
We here on the island Australia are used to it. Austria, Australia same place to some people. Only 12000km apart.
Jay just curious as to why you had your gears made in Australia and not in the USA?

CHEAP LABOR

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2016, 11:50:34 PM »

I tried to get them made in the US, via Cloyes, but they weren't interested in the small volumes we were proposing.  Plus some of the other US timing gears didn't look all that good to me.  The Australian company I'm working with was interested despite the small volumes, and I like the quality of their parts, so I went with them.  The only real downside was the shipping cost from Australia, and, obviously, the shipping itself...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 11:06:20 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2016, 11:54:23 PM »
I once sent a camshaft and lifters to Australia via U.S. Postal.

Six months later a call came from a vendor of mine saying a box arrived at their place with my return address label on it & they did not know why.  I have re-used a box from them for the shipment (nice sturdy package) that had the vendors address in lettering 1/8" tall on the back side from when it was printed. The correct delivery address and my return address were still intact on the big, white front label in lettering 3/4" tall, along with stickers and stamps from all around the freaking globe.

Of all the possible places for the box to end up - why not the delivery or the return address?

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2016, 11:57:59 PM »

I tried to get them made in the US, via Cloyes, but they weren't interested in the small volumes we were proposing. 

Cloyes pretty much told us to pound sand.  Took a physical sample and drawings, promised to get it on the development schedule, and then said "no can do for this year" a couple months later.  Cost Jay about a season worth of sales.

stubbie

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »
Only in my industry BigBlockFE.
Well were not making cars here anymore so I guess they need something to do. Good to see were still manufacturing something besides gas.
Freight's not cheap either way. I used to use FedEx but gave up over cost. Over a 14 month period price increases jumped up by almost $500 for the same size carton. Soon found someone cheaper. Anyway good luck with the gears. Hope they work out for you. And Merry Christmas to all.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:49:16 AM by stubbie »

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2016, 03:41:15 PM »
The same with Sweden Switzerland...Ahhh from Sweden where you make the
cuckoo clocks...ehhh noooo

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »
The same with Sweden Switzerland...Ahhh from Sweden where you make the
cuckoo clocks...ehhh noooo

Pffft, how could they mistake Sweden and Switzerland?

No go back to eating that fancy chocolate you guys make, while wearing your wooden shoes, that you wittled with your SwedeArmy knife, that yall are so famous for.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »

CHEAP LABOR

Ha, ha, that's a good joke. There's a number of reasons that we don't have a car manufacturing industry in our country any more, but cheap labour isn't one of them.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2017, 10:44:55 PM »
Well, after three weeks of chasing around the freight company, the rest of the gears finally made it.  It appears that the original box that they were in was destroyed.  Inside the original box were two smaller boxes.  One of them, containing all the crank gears, arrived intact, but the other box was a re-pack job.  Probably dropped off a forklift and broke open or something.  Thank goodness they were steel gears; they all appear to be in fine shape.  Anyone interested in one of these sets can see the link on the main FE Power page:

http://www.fepower.net/Products/adjtset.html

The $229 price (or $236 via Paypal) is good for the first 30 sets, then the price will have to go to $249.  Thanks again to everyone here for all the interest in this project!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:02:39 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2017, 05:30:31 PM »
Just placed an order, thanks Jay.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »
I'm not going to buy one, but I just want to state how awesome you are for making stuff like this Jay.