Author Topic: howards cams  (Read 10401 times)

Grbmaverickmo

• View Profile
howards cams
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
I don`t post much but read alot of what is posted on here to learn what I can about the FE. Has anybody tried the New Howards Rattler cams. I know they are trying to compete with the Comp thumper cams which people seem to not like. But the Howards numbers seem pretty decent atleast from what I read works in these FE motors. Thanks

bn69stang

• View Profile
Re: howards cams
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »
Have nt even heard of anyone using them , IMHO dont really think much of the thumper cams , a choppy solid or a hydr roller sound better .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

Grbmaverickmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:33 AM »
Yeah I hear alot of bad about the Thumper cams. I dont argue about what works and what don`t. I have a story about a Thumper in A very mild roller 302 (it had good heads thats about it) in One of my Mavericks that people would argue up and down it wasn`t true but I had time slips. I would have never ever thought that motor in that car would have worked as good as it did. On junk pep boys radials thru the full exhaust with a 2500 stall and 3.55s. It went 2.0 60fts, 11.70s at 117 all day. It had no low end but when it got past the 60ft it was pretty impressive. Oh the car was 2845 with me in it so it was lite but Mavericks are. I by no way saying Thumpers are good but that one worked well in that combination.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
I think when Thumpers first came out we all balked at the huge amount of overlap generated by tight LSA and a sorta too big exhaust lobe.  However, I think since then people have been doing OK with the lobes

That being said, I haven't used one but know they aren't as bad as everyone originally thought
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Grbmaverickmo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and bought a Rattler cam from Howards. If it works awesome if not I`ll try another cam next winter. Heres the specs on what I got.adv duration 289/297, dur@.050 235/243, lift is .548/.548 and lobe sep is 109. Needs 9.0;1 comp and 2500 plus stall. We shall see what it does in my 69 390gt motor. I am slowly gathering all the pcs to get it together for the FE race at Beaver.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
I don't like the idea of the off-the-shelf Thumpr cams for a driver.  With a 107LSA and 14° intake/exhaust split, I just don't think it would be prudent for someone looking for vacuum or good street manners.  Tons of overlap there.

I think they would work pretty good for a rowdy street motor or a street/strip deal, where the manners didn't manner. 

With that being said, I use the individual lobes a lot, in a custom cam where I can pick and choose the intake and exhaust lobes, LSA, etc.  They are not noisy at all and have a nice amount of lift for most aftermarket heads.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 05:17:50 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and bought a Rattler cam from Howards. If it works awesome if not I`ll try another cam next winter. Heres the specs on what I got.adv duration 289/297, dur@.050 235/243, lift is .548/.548 and lobe sep is 109. Needs 9.0;1 comp and 2500 plus stall. We shall see what it does in my 69 390gt motor. I am slowly gathering all the pcs to get it together for the FE race at Beaver.

I think that cam will work just fine in a 390. Especially with GT heads. It only has 75 degrees overlap. Should sound good.
Kevin McCullah

900HP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 05:58:55 PM »

The "rattler" cams are some of the last lobe designs of the late Harold Brookshire, they should work just fine.  That seems to me to be a bit much camshaft for a 390 unless you are intending to turn it some rpm but it will definitely "sound" good.  With decent heads that should be peaking around 6000+ I would think.  If you really want it to run make sure you get the GOOD hi-rpm roller lifters from Morel, they are worth quite a bit of power.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 09:32:08 PM »
Just for some trivia, the Howard Cams Rattler was the name Howard Johansen gave his AA/FD back in the day... He raced it from the late 60s into the 70s.  It was the Winternationals Top Fuel Eliminator in 1969 among some other major meet wins.  It's a great looking car, especially at speed!

It has been restored and is now a star of the Cacklefest.  http://cacklefest.com/Rattler.shtml 

Bruce
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic