Author Topic: Cam Opinion  (Read 3560 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Cam Opinion
« on: July 28, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
I got the cam specs for the engine build in progress.  Only the 7th Bullet cam I've purchased :)

(Bullet Cam Card)
287/299-10HR
Duration @ 0.050 = Int. 233 / Ex. 245
Lift Int. .595 Ex .595

This is on a 9.6:1 build, 464, TrickFlow heads.  I don't have much experience with FE cams, but comparing it to what I've read on others, this doesn't look too aggressive for the street- seems moderate.  Has anyone run anything similar to this?  I'm curious if I'll need a vacuum pump for the brakes.

I'm not going for super high performance, just want it to sound good and run decently on the street.  The previous setup was dicey, and I have no idea what the cam figures were as there was no documentation on it and I didn't want to measure valve events.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 10:42:44 AM by CV355 »

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Cam Opinion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:34:30 AM »
The -10 should mean on 110.

Should be a real nice combo, in fact, I am using Comp lobes, but it's very similar to one I am going to run 1st week of August in a TF 461. although I spread the centers for power brakes.  Likely could have lived with more compression, but it will be easy on fuel.  I'd guess it'd like about 30-32 degrees total because of the lower compression.

I do expect you will need a vacuum pump at 73 degrees overlap.

Should make big numbers whether you are going for performance or not :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 10:45:43 AM »
The -10 should mean on 110.

Should be a real nice combo, in fact, I am using Comp lobes, but it's very similar to one I am going to run 1st week of August in a TF 461. although I spread the centers for power brakes.  Likely could have lived with more compression, but it will be easy on fuel.  I'd guess it'd like about 30-32 degrees total because of the lower compression.

I do expect you will need a vacuum pump at 73 degrees overlap.

Should make big numbers whether you are going for performance or not :)

Sounds good to me!  The end goal is to put about 6psi max through it, so we left the compression ratio a bit lower for now.  Nothing crazy.  I'm assuming it'll be fun and choppy at idle with that much overlap.   

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:01:00 AM »
Did you tell them it was boosted?
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 11:18:17 AM »
Did you tell them it was boosted?

They know it is going to be N/A to start.  We might throw 6psi at it in a year or two.  Seems like a lot of overlap, might bleed a lot.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:44:36 AM »
Yeah, it will bleed a lot.   I can't figure out why they took some pains to pick more aggressive lobes (as you would to try and curb overlap) and then split the intake/exhaust that far (which is what you want for a centrifugal supercharger), but then they go and put it on a 110.   That cam would have been absolutely perfect on a 114-115 LSA, with some some lobes that would have been a little less noisy. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
Yeah, it will bleed a lot.   I can't figure out why they took some pains to pick more aggressive lobes (as you would to try and curb overlap) and then split the intake/exhaust that far (which is what you want for a centrifugal supercharger), but then they go and put it on a 110.   That cam would have been absolutely perfect on a 114-115 LSA, with some some lobes that would have been a little less noisy.

Agree completely, I didn't know it was boosted either, seems like a nice N/A cam, but leaving a little on the table for both brakes and boost

Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:59:37 AM »

I wish I had more insight, but I have an ankle-deep understanding of cam geometry and design.  The only thing I can think of is that I told them this was street-only, so they took that as keeping the peak torque lower in the rpm range with the 110?  I'm sorry if this comes across as a juvenile question, but could that combo be aimed at a "showy" idle without hurting street manners? 

Agree completely, I didn't know it was boosted either, seems like a nice N/A cam, but leaving a little on the table for both brakes and boost

It's not boosted yet, it'll live in the N/A world for a bit.  I did not anticipate as drastic of a restoration as we needed to conduct this year when we pulled the engine.  We chewed through half our budget before even getting to the engine, but that's how it goes sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:06:30 PM by CV355 »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 12:01:40 PM »
Yes sir, 73° of overlap will thump.

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 12:24:13 PM »
It has been my experience that anything that will work NA, will only work better boosted.  If it idles NA, it will idle with blower.  Yes, EFI works better with more overlap, like 114-117*, but not a deal breaker if you do have 110*.  Also, a mild camshaft that idles like a grocery getter will work just great with boost.  We have gone 10.75 @ 141 with a dead stock 302 HO shortblock and ported iron E7 heads and ported stock intake and plenum.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 12:28:29 PM »
Here is one with 25 more cubes, 71 degrees overlap, and EFI. 

Yours will likely be just a smidge more rowdy, but not crazy.  Don't worry, it'll run REAL strong, just not optimum for boost.  In fact, some would say (including me) mine is a little too much overlap, but with some tuning in the EFI they can do real well

https://youtu.be/AtTEvZ2uQmA

and just for fun, when the same motor had a 1000 Holley and an RPM intake :)

https://youtu.be/QcUCi_AxjqQ
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:31:19 PM by My427stang »
Ross

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »
Mm mmm good

Hah
The female reaction is priceless in the second
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:33:11 PM by turbohunter »
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 12:36:59 PM »
Here is one with 25 more cubes, 71 degrees overlap, and EFI. 

Yours will likely be just a smidge more rowdy, but not crazy.  Don't worry, it'll run REAL strong, just not optimum for boost.  In fact, some would say (including me) mine is a little too much overlap, but with some tuning in the EFI they can do real well

https://youtu.be/AtTEvZ2uQmA

and just for fun, when the same motor had a 1000 Holley and an RPM intake :)

https://youtu.be/QcUCi_AxjqQ

I don't know what it is about a thumpy idle, but it's a guilty pleasure for sure...  My GT500 had some rowdy cams, it'll be nice to hear something thumpy again.

Mm mmm good

Hah
The female reaction is priceless in the second

My wife knew I used to be big into drag racing before I met her, but I didn't have a fast car again until we got the GT500.  After we hit around 800hp, I took her out in a ride in it and said "hey, have you ever heard a car bark?"  She goes "no."  I barely tapped the throttle in 3rd gear and she totally freaked.  Now she's into it big time.  Even her 5.0 has an obnoxious exhaust now and she has talked about wanting a supercharger on it.  Sometimes during the winter I can hear her leave work, which is 2.5 miles away.  I'll brag on her a bit :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:50:15 PM by CV355 »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 12:51:06 PM »
Generally speaking, you want less overlap so that the effort from the supercharger doesn't go right out the exhaust.   

It just may surprise you and it won't need a blower.....you're a hair low on compression and duration, but you should still be in the 530-540 hp range I'd think. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

wayne

• View Profile
Re: Cam Opinion (JDC)
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 01:38:40 PM »
Joe 10.75@141 with a stock 302 short block the little guys can be nasty good job like to hear about any ford that runs.