Author Topic: Carb for 482 stroker street build  (Read 1750 times)

jimeast

• View Profile
Carb for 482 stroker street build
« on: June 13, 2020, 09:25:13 AM »
I've been doing a little work on my long term project, a 482 stroker to drop in my '67 Mustang convertible with a 4 speed manual transmission.  It's being built for the street, power coming in low, and starting to run out of steam somewhere north of 5,000 RPM, maybe up to 5,500?  Yrs ago on a lark I picked up a used 3310-1 (Holley 780 cfm) carb.   It seems like it's a nice size for a street motor of this size, but...  The linkages might be for a GM auto transmission, and it needs rebuilt, but the finish is still very nice, better than most older carbs I see.  I plan on using a Blue Thunder MR intake. 

Any advice on how to determine if this carb makes sense or if I'm pushing on rope?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Carb for 482 stroker street build
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
For your rpm range, I don't see why the 780 wouldn't be just fine.

jimeast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 10:07:13 AM »
Thanks for the quick response,  when I look at photos of a Ford holley 735 carb, the linkages look quite a bit different to me.  I have extremely limited experiences with carbs, so I do not know if this is a major issue or just a lack of familiarity.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 10:21:41 AM »
Hardly worth getting rid of a carb over a throttle shaft, or a kickdown lever, etc.  Just swap the throttle shaft, or make that 3310 into what you need.

Make a list of features you need.
Meet them.

plovett

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 12:02:26 PM »
I think the Holley 3310-1 is a great and versatile carburetor.  It could work good on anything from a mild 302 to a 600 hp drag engine.  It should work great on your engine.  Once you get the linkage worked out it should require nothing more than tuning and maybe playing with spacers.

JMO,

paulie

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »
One more saying the 3310-1 should work well on your engine.
With your mild use intents, as well as a torque oriented cam, this size carb should get really good vacuum signals to the boosters making tuning very clear and easy.
Good throttle response will be there too.

Could you make more power with a bigger carb? Yes.
Is the extra power going to be lost in the driving expreience? Probably not.

The 3310-1 is a great carb, known by many, parts everywhere both new and used, and can be tuned to work well on a wide range of engines.

I say change the linkage things to fit your needs. Set up the carb to work with your engine and if...if you find you require more carb get something different after proving the 3310-1 is not sufficient.
Good luck.

jimeast

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
Guys,  Thank you for the replies.  Are the throttle plates "Universal" or different between Auto and Manual transmission?  When I look at an original throttle shaft (from my '67 FE carb) vs. a new one (in the online Holley store) they are very different and the new ones are "quite busy" 

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2020, 03:20:42 PM »
Not sure if this is what you were looking at on the Holley site but it should allow you to replace your current shaft with a ford style:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-48-1?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjw_qb3BRAVEiwAvwq6VusdnvMxs1dnMVH7Ou5-joP1SukTQWyKU-bhor0s9UDjwKKdyvnsyhoCX44QAvD_BwE
Mike