Author Topic: Too much voltage??  (Read 9239 times)

ToddK

• View Profile
Too much voltage??
« on: December 21, 2012, 01:06:19 AM »
I've just replaced the battery in my 63 Galaxie and checked the voltage at the terminals with the engine running. My multimeter is showing 14.4V with the engine above idle. Is this going to cause a problem for the battery? I'm using a Power master PowerGen, which is an internally regulated alternator in a case that looks like the original generator.

Would the high voltage cause tne battery to boil? I put a new battery in because the old one was leaking. Now I'm wondering if it was actually boiling due to the high voltage?

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Too much voltage??
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:15 AM »
I dont think so. Most Alternators is marked 14.4 to 14.7 Volts (bosch)
And i think Motorcraft alternators is marked the same
I think 13.7 volts is minimum what you need to fully
charge a 12 volt battery..But there is probably
people here that know this better than me that can
tell you how it realy is

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:50 AM »
I would`nt worry about it. The battery will take as much as it wants when recharging. Most systems loose voltage due to dlfferences in wire guage, The length of the wires in the cars, junction blocks, connectors ect. If it were charging at 16-18 volts then its time to worry.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 01:24:16 PM »
Sounds a bit high to me unless the battery is discharged.  Normal running voltages with a fully charged battery are 13.4-13.6

fe66comet

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
14.4 is standard charge voltage. Check the regulator when the batters reaches 13 volts it should cut out. Any charging system runs 2.4 volts over stated voltage. Except older Chrysler products that use a resistor that is 18 volts. Batteries generally leak from freezing, if the case is bowed out it is junk as it spreads the plates apart reducing voltage and capacity.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 05:34:44 PM »
Todd,
Have you heard of Mark Hamilton of MAD electrical?  Here's a link from his website: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/howitworks.shtml. In this article he says a 12 volt system needs alternator output of around 14.2 volts.  Btw this is a really good source for auto electrical knowledge and components. I first became aware of him when I installed the MSD ignition and mounted the control box under the front seat in my Fairlane.  He has written several articles on how to do proper wiring, repairs, and how to improve the electrical systems on our cars. Hope you enjoy.
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
Thanks for that article, Bruce. I'll have a read of it over the next few days.

At least that indicates that the charging system on my 63 is working as advertised.

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »
I'd be in heaven if there was an alternator/generator that had 17.5-18VDC output,  ;D, Rod.

fe66comet

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »
Drag race alternator of early 70s Mopar.

fe66comet

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 02:18:32 PM »
Summit has everything from 6 to 24 military. A bunch in 12/16 and straight 16.., all under race alternators.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
those drag race 16 volt alternators are for 16 volt race batteries for 600 plus cubes ...... normal points regulator system voltage between 13.2 to 15.2 is considered normal .... alternators when full fielded (by-passes regulator) will reach 18 volt no problem above idle

fe66comet

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 04:21:32 PM »
I remember changing lamps on dodges a whole lot back in the day, they were real bright for a while then blink dead. You can add resistors to step down to where you need it. If you want that kind of voltage but amperage is what makes stuff work. The more amperage the more work potential. I have resistors on our military stuff to pull trailers stepping down from 24 to 12 sized according to load potential.

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
those drag race 16 volt alternators are for 16 volt race batteries for 600 plus cubes ...... normal points regulator system voltage between 13.2 to 15.2 is considered normal .... alternators when full fielded (by-passes regulator) will reach 18 volt no problem above idle

I'll have to look into one of those, thanks. I've had the 16V Turbo battery for quite some time and wouldn't like draggin' a generator and 16V battery charger, especially at car shows, lol, Rod.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:40:05 PM by MT63AFX »

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Todd,
Have you heard of Mark Hamilton of MAD electrical?  Here's a link from his website: http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/howitworks.shtml. In this article he says a 12 volt system needs alternator output of around 14.2 volts.  Btw this is a really good source for auto electrical knowledge and components. I first became aware of him when I installed the MSD ignition and mounted the control box under the front seat in my Fairlane.  He has written several articles on how to do proper wiring, repairs, and how to improve the electrical systems on our cars. Hope you enjoy.

Voltage should be 13.8 Min to 14.8 max for a properly working Alt. Also put a load on the system. Turn on your head lights and heater. It should drop and then pick back up. Long as your in the range... Your good! JMHO
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

fe66comet

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:45:38 AM »
That's the way its done simple easy and to the point. I use the same test on gennys also if it pulls down it is working.