Author Topic: Distributor cap crack?  (Read 1002 times)

67428GT500

• View Profile
Distributor cap crack?
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:11:34 AM »
I noted when I was turning the engine over there is a spark from the cap to the coil about 3/4" apart.  Despite the cap being a Autolite reproduction with no time I am assuming there is a crack in the cap I can't see.  Would that be the consensus?
                                                                                                                        -Keith

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Distributor cap crack?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:39:15 AM »
Make a movie if you can and post, could be multiple things, bad wire, wire not in all the way, bad cap. FYI the reproduction stuff is usually junk anyway, especially ignition stuff
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

67428GT500

• View Profile
Re: Distributor cap crack?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 01:13:31 AM »
Well, here's the story.  I pulled the cap. Brought up #1 TDC on the compression stroke. The rotor was dead nuts on. The wires I replaced with MSD units because the Marti Auto Works Concours spark plug wires have issues with the boots coming apart, which mine did.
I purchased the MSD Cap and Rotor Kit. Nice heavy duty brass contacts. Changed the wires and cap. No more jump from the cap to the coil.
I went to start it and same issue. I got the test light out and checked for power at the 12V lead that comes off the 12V power side before the tach.
No power. I pulled the radio and noted that the the black lead had unplugged from the factory tach. I plugged it in, turn the key and it lit immediately.

Tomorrow is the big day. Cam break in, replace inner springs and run it again. Pull the filter, cut it open and look for nasty things that don't belong.
I'll let you know how it turns out.  Hopefully all that is left is the gear change until I relocated and get the five speed done.