Author Topic: C19 Therapy  (Read 4138 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: C19 Therapy
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 03:52:48 PM »
Black painjob makes things faster thats a fact  sun heats the surface
and makes it less windresisting

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »
Pretty sure I'm going to have time on my hands over the coming weeks, I can see a second coat of wax happening.
Car is nearly black, 2 coats of wax, and I am attempting to polish some shitty soft aluminum valve covers, should be good for lots of speed it sounds like.  Worst decision I ever made, fabricated aluminum polished valve covers, can literally not touch them even with a soft cloth without scratching, junk.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »
I just finished the repair on the dragster nose after crunching it good a couple of years ago.  Without the duct tape all over it, I expect to pick up a tenth at least ;)

Yeah, but with a good wax job you'd pick up at least 3 tenths!

LOL
It's finely buffed with Turtle Wax.  Most importantly, there's a spare can of the Krylon purple metal flake for the next crunch :)

olman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 05:13:01 PM »
3in1 oil!  That's what kept the bearings in the blower housing of my swap coolers lasting forever.
1963 1/2 Galaxie 500Xl 428 4 speed

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 08:29:43 PM »
What about a set of Splitfire spark plugs... you hit your passing gear and your gone.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 12:50:46 AM »
"Increased lash by ~ .020” across all rockers, looking to quiet at least one slightly noisy roller lifter"

Okay, since nobody asked, how does increasing the lash by .020 quiet a noisy lifter? That's a huge lash increase; maybe you meant tightened the lash by .020?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
Was never one for worrying much about proper lingo, my bad.

I compressed the hydraulic lifter piston an additional ~0.020" by turning the adjustable rocker screw clockwise ~ 1/2 turn.  I've read on many a site that Morel's seem to prefer more loading than manufacturer recommendation, I'm trying to find out if that is the case for my application.

Riderjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 02:48:05 PM »
I think you need to wax the lifters, that'll fix it!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »
Hey, drain all the rear end fluid on your final run. Dump at least 1 quart out of the engine or tranny.

Honest, when we raced long ago a Union Grove, WI my younger bro, on a visit to the Ford Pro Stock pits, did ask one fellow with Dyno Don's Pinto (we found out later it was Kaase) why they were quickly draining the rear gear fluid and some from the Lenco. Jim was pretty persuasive so the answer came back: the competition was so close they wanted every advantage. Guess what? Dyno won the final round in a real squeaker. 

Not something for the faint of heart, eh? 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 02:25:43 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »
At Mission Raceway the year before anyone had run a 9 second pass in Stock Eliminator there were several cars trying. One Hemi Cuda had run 10.10 and on the next run it was on a good pass but went "bang" well before the finish line and left parts on the track. The track worker picked up half a connecting rod and no oil whatsoever. I looked at the car in the pits and the hole was in the bottom of the sump and no oil on the underside of the car. He'd drained the oil before the run! Might have worked if he was pitted closer to the staging lanes or if it was an 1/8th mile.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 02:31:43 PM »
At Mission Raceway the year before anyone had run a 9 second pass in Stock Eliminator there were several cars trying. One Hemi Cuda had run 10.10 and on the next run it was on a good pass but went "bang" well before the finish line and left parts on the track. The track worker picked up half a connecting rod and no oil whatsoever. I looked at the car in the pits and the hole was in the bottom of the sump and no oil on the underside of the car. He'd drained the oil before the run! Might have worked if he was pitted closer to the staging lanes or if it was an 1/8th mile.

That though sounds like a dumb mistake.

Famed Texas fuel racer Gene Snow one time made a F/C run, and won, with zero oil in the pan! He noted on the burnout no oil pressure but made the run anway as gauges on a F/C often read incorrectly anyway.

Seems he had to use a pickup crew of locals at the track to advance to the next round and guess what, one of those dummies forgot to add oil! Amalie Oil was his big sponsor back then and ran numerous adds indicating their oil was so good that the engine wasn't even damaged, which was true.
Bob Maag