Author Topic: "Chrome" Wrap  (Read 1739 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
"Chrome" Wrap
« on: April 06, 2023, 10:14:24 PM »
Has anyone here ever had their bumpers chrome wrapped? I've seen some fiberglass bumpers wrapped, and they looked pretty good, but I am curious about their longevity. I get my car on the road once in a while and is only out in the weather when a storm creeps up on me, otherwise it is stored indoors.

Any ideas on a price range for wraps??

Thanks.

....nice to see the website working well again, it's been a while since I've been here.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: "Chrome" Wrap
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 08:57:21 AM »
Not sure about wraps - have not seen anything like that around here.  I chose - since it's mostly a race car - to shoot my fiberglass front bumper with an "industrial" aluminum appearing single stage paint.  The particular one is just thinned 50% for use in the gun, no hardener.  I chose that because after some time of colleting chips and scuffs, a quick sand and re-shoot is easy.  Been a shile but I think I spend a whopping $30 on a quart.  Probably still have 80% of it in the cabinet and likely it's no good now LOL. 

There is also chrome looking paint that could be an option, but not sure how hard that would be to lay out smooth.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 09:37:08 AM »
@Falcon67- My bumpers are currently painted in similar fashion, and they look presentable. I've been considering the new chrome bumpers that are finally on the market for 65-66 Galaxies, but the price is pretty steep and I suspect the quality doesn't justify the price--like EVERYTHING else these days. I've used the chrome paint you referred to on interior pieces, and it is surprisingly good, though it isn't the most resilient, and is fairly pricey.

I'm surprised no one here has used the chrome wraps for this. I have seen it once, and it looked very good, just not sure how it holds up.

1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 03:41:52 PM »
The wrap looks good just as long as you don't use the bumper for a bumper.
Greg

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 10:17:44 PM »
I never use my bumpers as a bumper, though other less gifted drivers have done so.

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Mr Woodys Garage

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 11:25:42 PM »
Car City, A Used Car Dealership Has their Courtesy Vand Wraped With The Chrome Wrap, And Then Graphics Are Applied. The Stuff Holds Up Year Round, And Loooks Great. I'm Planning On Doing A Matte Black On My 63.5 Fiberglass Bumpers, And Then Having Them Chrome Wrapped. I've Seen It First Hand, And It Should Meet Alll YOur Expectations. As With Anything, You Get What You Pay For, So Find A Qualified Shop To Do The Install.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2023, 04:08:16 PM »
I have spoken with a few different wrap installed around here, and I know one guy who was in the business...now retired.

They all have a fairly similar story when it comes to the question "how long should I expect this to last?"
They all have an estimated time of around two to three years on a daily driven vehicle.

This tells me the wrop itself will break down in a relatively quick fashion as compared to good paint.
How you keep yours, treat yours, and use yours will certainly have an effect on the longevity of the product, but the trend seems to be about 2-3 years of daily exposure and use.

If you are on the east coast and park ANYWHERE there is parrallel parking...EVER, I suspect you will get about 17 hours before someone parks by braille and ruins the wrap.

I suggest you go into this as an expirment and see what happens. There are worse ways to use your money and time.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2023, 06:01:39 PM »
I had pretty good success painting a Crites glass bumper with a spray chrome paint kit.
It look's pretty good even 10 years on now.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2023, 05:05:15 AM »
This is a Crites bumper I painted with spray chrome.
It's kind of grey but shinny. I fit the real lights so it looks pretty stockish.
The problem with the wrap is the edge starts to peel. Then what?
Although the car wraps a great. You see some pretty funny ones.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2023, 03:27:30 PM »
This is a Crites bumper I painted with spray chrome.
It's kind of grey but shinny. I fit the real lights so it looks pretty stockish.
The problem with the wrap is the edge starts to peel. Then what?
Although the car wraps a great. You see some pretty funny ones.

That looks pretty good. My bumpers are similar. I'd like to put chrome bumpers back on at some point.

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2023, 08:10:28 AM »
This may rustle some jimmies or fluster some jimbobs but I am not a fan of wraps.  The vast majority of wrap-jobs I see around here just scream "meth dealer."  Thankfully SC banned squatted trucks last week, so there goes 90% of the wrap consumer base in the area.

I'd look into Alsa EasyChrome as an option if you are looking to re-chrome a bumper.  Many, many chrome shops have closed up due to EPA regulations and operating costs.  There used to be a massive chrome shop one town over from me and they switched to oxides and zinc coatings and do zero chrome these days.  If you find a shop that can do chrome, it's a fortune these days.  I got quoted $400 for two valve covers, wound up building a 3/4hp polisher and just polished them myself instead.

I want to build an F100 next, and that Alsa EasyChrome will be part of my process.

https://alsacorp.com/product/easy-chrome/