Author Topic: 390 starting issues  (Read 4003 times)

390owner

• View Profile
390 starting issues
« on: April 30, 2018, 07:16:14 PM »
My 390 fe has the original type distributor with the electronic pickup coil. I just replaced the whole distributor a few months ago. When I try to start it in the mornings or after work it is hard to start and wants to pop through the exhaust. It has done this several times in the past and it was always the pickup coil. Once I replace it the problem goes away. Should I just bite the bullet and go with an aftermarket unit. I am getting sick of replacing these pick up coils. Once it backfired and broke some teeth off my flywheel not a fun fix. It also acts like it wants to run backwards. I dont know. What if any is a good aftermarket unit.

fomocoloco

• View Profile
Re: 390 starting issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 05:46:06 AM »
sort out your wiring problem before changing the distributor. if this is a recurring problem something is wrong with your wiring.

jim
9 65-72  f100 sb trucks 6 428's 1 460 2 521 strokers
1 66 f100 lb ranger
3 67-75 f350
numerous parts vehicles and parts

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:57 AM »
The problem goes away once I chance the pick up coil everytime

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 07:59:28 AM »
I have heard there have been a rash of sub-standard pickup coils made for some of the remanufactured distributors, is that what you installed when you replaced it?  Some of the MSD distributors have had the same problem, I experienced that recently myself.  Maybe try to find a Ford pickup coil, or get a good quality one from Napa.  If they all start failing after some period of time, Jim may be right, there may be an intermittent short in your wiring that is causing the problem.  The pickup coils are very simple devices, just a coil of wire around a magnet.  A short to ground in the wiring going to the pickup coil will make it non-functional.  If the magnet cracks or breaks it can also cause problems.  One test is to see what the electrical resistance of the pickup coil on your distributor is, and compare it to a new one.  If they are the same, at least the wire inside the pickup coil isn't shorted.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 12:18:12 PM »
I'm sure some of you remember the issues I've had in the last couple years with the pickup coils in my MSD distributor. I've replaced 2 in the last 2 years, after having gone over 15 years on the first one. The first one would fail, but only after the car was driven for about an hour. It checked good multiple times when I got the car home, after some time had passed. Then the car would start and run fine. It drove me nuts trying to track down the problem! It finally failed for good after about the 4th time of quitting. Then it was easy to figure out.

I went to great pains to separate the wires from any possible area that could cause an issue, doubled the grounds while making sure they were absolutely grounded (even running it directly to the battery). Still, the second one failed within a year. After the first fiasco, I went straight to the pickup and replaced it. Problem gone again. So far the 3rd one I've installed has gone a year now without any signs of problems.

After doing some research, I had found lots of people that have had similar problems with pickups failing. Since my first one failed after 15 years of use, I considered that a fairly reasonable time frame. The 2nd one may have been a fluke, but after the research, I think a rather large batch was made that had used less than ideal manufacturing techniques or faulty components. I now carry a spare distributor AND spare pickup. Double backups! I'm NOT fond of being stranded anywhere.

I'd do as Jim says, go through your wiring very carefully and make double sure that everything is done properly and with good grounds. And as Jay says, a broken magnet can cause problems. That's why factory installations usually use some sort of silicone cushion, like RTV or something similar, so that the magnet does not crack when tightened down. And they don't need to be cranked down super tight either. Then....carry a spare, and the basic tools to change it, with you at all times..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 06:37:35 PM »
Ok now I gotcha on the wiring. I will check everything once again. I order the best that oriallys had which is still probably junk but I thought I would try them. I usually use a different parts store here in town we only have 3 in town. It was a borg warner brand. I spent half a day here while back grounding everything under the hood. I went from the rad support to the frame and block then the block to the frame then the firewall to the frame. I do have a spare in the bronco with the tools as well. Thanks for the replies.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
maybe install a lower ohm coil . that is what I did with a pertonix distributor , for some reason that make it very difficult to find the ohms on the coil .  and like has been said carry a spare . 

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 06:47:23 PM »
The new pick up coil read .617 ohms the old one read .874

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:05:42 PM »
Anyone using or heard of pertronix replacement for these old type dist

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
yes they have the pertronix pickup for most all ford dist.  is the ohm reading on the pickup or the coil ? the coil is what should have the right resistance to keep from burning the pickup out . I run a pertronix dist. in a 390 in my 62 ranchero . you can almost buy the whole dist for not much more than the pickup cost . PerTronix Ignitor® Solid-State Ignition Systems 1281   that is what is on summit's page
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:53:20 PM by gdaddy01 »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:05 AM »
I'm sure the resistance reading is on the pickup coil, the Ford and MSD distributors just use a reluctor wheel that spins in front of the coil.  Neither of the resistance readings mentioned are cause for concern, but as was mentioned previously you can have an intermittent short where the resistance drops to zero, and then the pickup won't work.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 08:04:26 PM »
The resistance was through the pick up. Where else do I need to check. A guy told me today that the control modular on the inner fender was what was causing my pick up problems. He said I need a motorcraft brand. I am thinking about buying a whole distributor with the pertronix already in it with the coil they recommend. But can I use my aftermarket tac and my accell plug wires?

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 06:33:55 PM »
I run msd plug wires and parts house tack with my pertronix dist. no problems .

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »
Also take a good look at the wiring connector for the distributor.  The MSD hookup wiring on on my dyno caused me some issues lately - the connectors inside the pigtail have gotten loose after many years of connect/disconnect usage.  Contact wa intermittent and had me wondering for a few minutes..until I wiggled the wires.

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 08:38:22 PM »
Ok i have the new pickup in the dist. IF this makes sense the pick up is loose on the shaft. It is like the shaft is too small for the pick up center. I put two old ones on the shaft and they fit good with very miniumal play. The new one has play. It runs fine and and the reluctor does not hit the pick up. Is this going to hurt anything? I am still thinking about a new dist. I am leaning toward one that maybe autozone or orieallys carry in case one day it quits while I am on vacation or out of town and I could get parts for it. I would like to get rid of the control modular that the bronco came with from the factory.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 07:27:40 AM »
What do you mean by "play"? if it wobbles up and down a little, maybe not so much of an issue, although it shouldn't do that, but if it wiggles from side to side, that will affect your timing. For timing to be stable, it shouldn't move at all.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 08:06:11 PM »
I bought a crt hei unit today. It had good reviews and came with plug wires. That should take care of the control modular and pick up problems. ;D