Author Topic: FRONTRUNNING FORD COBRA JET ABSENCE AT U.S. NATIONALS FACTORY STOCK SHOWDOWN EXP  (Read 1993 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

cjshaker

• View Profile
NHRA, in a nutshell, says "If one manufacturer continuously outruns and can outperform, then it needs to be reeled in.”

In other words, the Fords are too fast for Chevy and Chrysler to compete. And we all know the NHRA has no love for Ford.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
Glad Ford doesn't give a dime to the NHRA. Spend the cash elsewhere like in NASCAR where fast Fords have  real shot at THE 2020 championship, beating those darned Toyotas and Chevys.  Same applies to FIA distance racing and non-NHRA drag action.

Eff those clowns at the NHRA I say. Btw, when Buster Couch died I almost threw had a party and had hoped that asshole's anti-Ford bias would be gone. Fat chance! 
Bob Maag

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
This outcome was totally predictable by all the NHRA Sportsman racers when Don Schumacher chose to throw his wallet into the fray. Impossible to count the number of times the exact same thing has happened throughout NHRA's history. Unlike the majority of NHRA Sportsman racers, I remain unconvinced that the collapse of present-day NHRA would be a bad thing: WallyParks' original mission has been completely abandoned by the current executives.

gt350hr

• View Profile
   +1 The bowtie guys proclaim total superiority with the LS engines YET when they get BEAT in heads up competition , they cry like babies! Same for Schumacher. If he doesn't have an advantage , he cries. In the nitro class he needed an edge so he had his own "blend" of nitro made claiming there was a "supply problem". It was a clear advantage and he was forced to stop using it or make ti available to ALL. That led to a "spec" fuel in all classes so as not to "push him away". If the GM and Mopar cars are losers , take weight out , don't penalize the Fords for doing a BETTER job of building a LEGAL race car. NHRA SUCKS and IS swayed by $$$$s just like a prostitute.
    Wally is turning over in his grave.
       Randy

TomP

• View Profile
None this weekend either. The Mustang has smaller cubes and is much closer to an actual production line engine than the GM and Chrysler cars. The others have huge bore, short stroke, giant intake valve engines that displace an extra 30 cubes over the Fords.

gregaba

• View Profile
This is nothing new.
It has been going on since the early sixty's when my dad was winning races over the other guys he all ways had to go though extra after race inspections and was protested every race. he finally gave up and quit NHRA and changed to road racing.
I raced in the late sixtys and they would all most all ways find something to disqualify me  before the race or i would get protested.
I switched to the AHRA which was a much fairer raceing body but it didn't last long then I switched to the IHRA when they started.
Now I see that you have to run a chevy engine in Pro Stock. What a bunch of BS.
What don't they call it the Chevy pro stock as that is all they want to race.
I haven't watched the NHRA on TV or went  to a race in 30 years and I know a lot of Ford racers who quit them just for this reason.
End of rant.
Greg

Katz427

• View Profile
I may be wrong, but the current prostock engine is a further refinement, of the "drag race competition engine" that Warren Johnson helped develop with Oldsmobile. There is no connection to any production engine, not even Oldsmobile. Let's face it prostock is finished, NHRA is to blame. Warren Johnson said as much, a few years back. The best line was from Erica Ender's father , while being congratulated on her championship, " Yes, yes, thank you, it only cost me $23 million dollars" !   Wow

XR7

• View Profile
What I was told was Holbrook builds the really fast Ford's and he races and both the Skillman's run his engines, maybe others too. The Ford's are way faster than the Chevy Copo's and the Dodge Drag pack's that it isn't even a challenge. I think Holbrook and Skillman both ran 7.50's and maybe a 7.4x and near 190 MPH, where the other guys are running 7.80 and 7.90.

So since Chevy and Mopar give NHRA money they can't have the Fords out front, they have to change the rules. They decided to make the Ford's run a 50% under on the blower drive, and let the Chevy run 100% and the Mopars got 40% over! NHRA said they want them to run 7.90 and no faster. These cars are heavy, so it is a safety issue they say...

Holbrook was so pissed that he quit and put his car up for sale. He spent the time and money to go fast, and they are penalizing him for it. I guess they are making well over 1400 HP almost as much as a current pro stock engine. I think BES built a Dodge factory stock "type" engine and put a huge Whipple blower on it (not legal) and it made over 1700 HP.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

gt350hr

• View Profile
   Typical NHRA stupidity. Keep them on a dangerous tire but limit the speed. Don't let the class improve along with fan interest , make it boring and dangerous.