Author Topic: Work  (Read 3717 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Work
« on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:33 PM »
Here is a screen shot of some of the CNC machines(the big blue hoop things) I maintain as an industrial electrician. These are Broetje(German) Automated Gantry Riveting Machines. We use them to rivet the skin sections together on the Boeing 737 fuselages. The panels in the pictures appear to be lower(bottom half) sections. These machines are horribly complicated,  which pleases me to no end  :) and cost about $8,000,000 each. On a straight run they are capable in installing 16 rivets per minute.
As a side note: Plant II, where these machines are located, was used to build B-29 bombers during WWII which is cool in itself. :)
 P.S. This is a public domain photo as taking personal photos inside the plant is verboten!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 06:14:50 PM by AlanCasida »

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: Work
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »
Well, I can throw down a half dozen or so per minute if someone drills the holes first ;D  Fantastic stuff, and the fact that they're German leads one to the conclusion that of course they're horribly complicated, they'd have to be.  Looks like a tightly run ship-
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

FElony

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 12:49:34 AM »
So ah says ta mahself, "Self, thet be twitchin' stuf fo sho 'n all, but shuckins, is dey rilly still be makin' da sevin thutty sevins? Sho nuff, I finds ah be ignant 'bout such thangs. See heah, y'all" -->>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 08:20:40 AM »
So ah says ta mahself, "Self, thet be twitchin' stuf fo sho 'n all, but shuckins, is dey rilly still be makin' da sevin thutty sevins? Sho nuff, I finds ah be ignant 'bout such thangs. See heah, y'all" -->>  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737
Yeah, it's been around a long time and will be here a long time. We are currently producing 42 a month with plans to go to 51/mth. There is even talk of a composite version ala the 787. Definitely their bread and butter product.

FElony

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
With all the troubles globally and people upset with invasive TSA abuse, it's amazing demand for commercial airliners is increasing.

I don't know much about planes, personally. My dad, however, was an electronics engineer for Lockheed back in the day, and worked on SR71, P3C Orion, and L-1011 projects. I still have all his Lockheed paraphernalia and Dept. of Defense stuff. I'm sure he would completely amazed at the new technology in aerospace. Me, I just wonder what they do when the Check Engine Light comes on at 20,000 feet.

Interesting place, Alan.

482supersnake

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
Do you work at plant II Alan? I run a big 5 axis machine drilling the composite sections for the tail wings of the 777 and 787 down in Fredrickson.

Scott

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 07:51:45 PM »
Do you work at plant II Alan? I run a big 5 axis machine drilling the composite sections for the tail wings of the 777 and 787 down in Fredrickson.

Scott

Yes I do but I'm in Wichita, ks at Spirit AeroSystems, the Company formerly known as Boeing Airplane Co. , Wichita.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »
Big machines are cool.....  We get to haul some really insane stuff, but I only get to work on the boat machinery.
We've been hauling these turbine parts that are supposed to be 50mil each (6 loads).

Just mindblowing how big and expensive some of this stuff is.

Neat job/pictures Alan, thanks a ton for sharing!

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
My Daughter works for flight test at Boeing Field in Seattle.  She's been up in the new 737 MAX; she says it's got upgraded engines, wings, and software but no composite fuselage.  So I think we'll have rivets with us for some time!   :D
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:27:24 AM »
My Daughter works for flight test at Boeing Field in Seattle.  She's been up in the new 737 MAX; she says it's got upgraded engines, wings, and software but no composite fuselage.  So I think we'll have rivets with us for some time!   :D
Most likely. I do know all our new machines and retrofits have gone completely electric(no hydraulics) partially in anticipation of someday building a composite 737. That could many years away though. Doesn't hurt my feelings, either. I hate working around composite. It's itchy like fiberglass insulation.