Author Topic: Aluminium connecting rods  (Read 2334 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Aluminium connecting rods
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:02:18 PM »
Aluminium connecting rods have came along ways over the past several years, I'm not sure how many of you guys have used them or to what extent but I'd like to hear you guys thoughts on them.
I have used the Manley aluminium rods once before and now have a nos set of the super 70 series in my garden mule. (I believe Manley stopped making aluminum rods after years of doing so ?) Anyway I know there are aluminum rod manufacturer's that have much superior rods than the old Manley's such as BME, R&R, MGP, and GRP are among the most popular. 
I have read alot on there sights as to where there vastly improved and very reliable at some pretty  stout HP's and cylinder pressures. 
So any thoughts, ? Any valid points or reasons not to even consider them ?
Of course once again this is a full race engine.  Thanks for any input anyone would share.   
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

MT63AFX

• View Profile
Re: Aluminium connecting rods
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:37 PM »
My 454 TP had aluminum Childs and Albert 6.70 2.20 on a 3.98 Moldex crank when I bought it. Replaced them with Venolia aluminum. Was told they were good for 150 NA runs or 75 runs with power adders. Compression was 14:1 with BRC pistons...

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »
My race engine has MGP 6.8/2.20 aluminum rods.  Still going strong.  Was advised that keeping the revs below 7000 and unloading the engine at the finish line will keep the rods happy for a very long time.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:53:31 PM »
Some years ago I asked Bill Miller about aluminum rods for a street engine I was considering---when I was writing for Super Ford Magazine. He simply told me that one of the continuing jobs for him was a contract to build engines for a fleet of oil tankers running in the Texas hill country. He used his aluminum rods in the engines he built for them.

It's been said that 'motoring an engine down' is the most stressful thing to do with aluminum rods due to the stretch they're subjected to. The rods in my latest ECTA engine---a Jag V8---came from GRP, or would if the engine were assembled. It is both turbo'd and sprayed and runs on a mix that includes a lot of methanol. But it won't be motored down.

KS
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 03:49:12 PM by cammerfe »