Author Topic: Locker problem  (Read 2516 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Locker problem
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:54:05 PM »
I took my 66 Galaxie out to the track Saturday and every time I launched I could feel a thump in the car. A friend of mine took a video of me in the burnout box and it looked like the passenger side tire was smoking more than the driver side. This was at Tulsa Raceway Park where you have to make a sharp left turn at the end of the staging lanes. I am wondering if my Locker unlocked making that turn and wasn't locking again until I launched the car since I was just idling the car up to the burnout box. Has anyone else had this type of experience with a Detroit Locker?

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Locker problem
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
I had one in my truck that unlocked on a left turn and racheted for a half mile before it reengaged. Pulled it out and found dirt debrie in it, I had just set it up the week before and it had been setting for some time, I did buy it used and washed it before install, but there must have been crap still in it.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:10:42 AM »
I took my 66 Galaxie out to the track Saturday and every time I launched I could feel a thump in the car. A friend of mine took a video of me in the burnout box and it looked like the passenger side tire was smoking more than the driver side. This was at Tulsa Raceway Park where you have to make a sharp left turn at the end of the staging lanes. I am wondering if my Locker unlocked making that turn and wasn't locking again until I launched the car since I was just idling the car up to the burnout box.

I'll bet that is exactly what is happening.  Did you do a burnout?  I would think a burnout would lock it back up.  If you didn't, doing the burnout might be the solution...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:25:26 AM »
Yes, I made four passes did a burnout every time. In the video my friend took you could see there was more smoke coming off the passenger side tire. When I launched I could feel a solid "kunk" about 10-20 feet out. I would have thought it would have locked up too while doing a burnout. I may have to pull it out and take a look at it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:44:01 AM by AlanCasida »

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:21 PM »
After making any sharp turns it's best to put it in reverse, once you're headed straight and before entering the water-box, back up a few feet and the locker should reset itself, RodC.