Author Topic: 406 timing marks?  (Read 3897 times)

sjmodels

• View Profile
    • Southerngassers
406 timing marks?
« on: February 12, 2014, 05:29:49 PM »
Anybody have a picture of the timing marks on a 62 406?  Mine has a pointer on the front cover and two dots on the balancer but the car runs like crap if I line the pointer on either mark. I'm just wondering if I have the correct balancer or if it maybe slipped on the rubber.

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Re: 406 timing marks?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
I don't know if this will help you or not but when I built my 406 I didn't have the original balancer. So, knowing that the TDC mark was correct I advanced my timing until I got the highest vacuum I could attain (14") and backed it off one inch. Using a timing light with advance capabilities I determined the timing was @ 17 degrees BTDC. If I set the timing for anything less the engine sat there and loped and shook the car too much to allow comfortable city driving with my Broader C6 transmission. I then had a smooth idle at 650rpm. But, every time you tried to start the car it was quick to tell you the timing was advanced too far for easy cranking. So, to fix that I bought a Duraspark distributor setup that retards the timing 5 degrees when cranking the engine. It worked great. Jim

sjmodels

• View Profile
    • Southerngassers
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
Thanks Jim.
             I ran the motor to about 3,000 rpm yesterday and moved the distributor side to side till it started to miss then set it in the middle and it is starting and running ok just idleing at 900 rpm with idle screws all the way backed off. I'll mess with it today ( first cruise in tonight!) .

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »
Anybody have a picture of the timing marks on a 62 406?  Mine has a pointer on the front cover and two dots on the balancer but the car runs like crap if I line the pointer on either mark. I'm just wondering if I have the correct balancer or if it maybe slipped on the rubber.

IIRC, the correct 406's pointer, like the 427's, had the degrees stamped on it and the damper had a 'slit' (line) cut into it to set timing, RodC.

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 07:57:44 AM »
sjmodels,
    Without saying much more, let me say this. Goggle "vacuum gauge" and read a little about what this instrument can tell you about an engine. They aren't expensive and it'll help you a lot.

sjmodels

• View Profile
    • Southerngassers
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 09:06:16 AM »
Jim
Thanks again.

I have a vacume gauge and may try it. I'll have to fix a place to attatch it maybe where the pvc hooks. I turned the distributor till the motor slowed and it is running great now but I would still like to have the correct marks.

Judd