Author Topic: Kustom Headers?  (Read 7186 times)

price5113

• View Profile
Kustom Headers?
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
Anybody ever heard of Kustom brand headers? I take it they are out of business. Picked up a NOS set for our 70 F100 build. Looks like a nice pair of headers, in fact I have never seen a pair with 1 7/8" prim. tubes & 3.5" coll. before for a FE truck application. The box was the original and AllStar marked on the sides..........

price5113

• View Profile
Re: Kustom Headers?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »
Thanks for the cool link! Man that's going back a few years...........

john67427

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 04:53:01 PM »
I have a set of Kustom headers on my Fairlane drag car. I had to buy them after I purchased the Hooker 6375's that I could not get to fit. This was in the early 70's. Still run them on the Fairlane. I can put them on and take them off by myself.

price5113

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
Thats good to know. Sounds like they are a nice fitting header. They look well built/designed...............

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 11:05:11 AM »
Anybody ever heard of Kustom brand headers? I take it they are out of business. Picked up a NOS set for our 70 F100 build. Looks like a nice pair of headers, in fact I have never seen a pair with 1 7/8" prim. tubes & 3.5" coll. before for a FE truck application. The box was the original and AllStar marked on the sides..........

Company was OK Kustom out of Midland or Mid-Michigan-ish. I long for a set for my LWG. I had them on my 63 390 Boxtop in the photo below:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:07:48 AM by MT63AFX »

price5113

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
Love those "Box Tops"! That was my 1st car (63 Boxtop) Had Thorley headers on it. They did not fit all that well. Went to Hookers later which was better. I imagine finging a set of the Kustom tubes for a Galaxie is tough? Heres a shot of the  truck peices...........

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 10:12:33 AM »
Love those "Box Tops"! That was my 1st car (63 Boxtop) Had Thorley headers on it. They did not fit all that well. Went to Hookers later which was better. I imagine finging a set of the Kustom tubes for a Galaxie is tough? Heres a shot of the  truck peices...........

My first Galaxie (second car I owned when I was 18yrs old) was a G-code with a LR427. It too had Thorley headers and fit perfectly. Your OK Kustoms are the first, and possibly only other ones I've seen.

price5113

• View Profile
Re: Thorley Headers?
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »
Very nice looking Galaxie! Were your Thorley headers conventional or 'try y' design? the set I used to run were the try y. As I remember there was a LOT of strg linkage interference even after I converted over to MAN strg linkage. Are you referring to my headers as the only truck versions you ever seen? I too had no idea they made truck headers!

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 05:06:03 PM »
Mine were the conventional four into the collector. One tube interfered with the z-bar down arm, IIRC, and we simply dimpled that tube (had to do the same on the Hooker Super Comps). My set and your set, plus those I seen at OK Kustom, were the only ones I ever seen.