Author Topic: Engine & transmission installation  (Read 921 times)

garyv

• View Profile
Engine & transmission installation
« on: July 27, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
I am finally getting close to getting my TP engine and TKO 600 transmission installed in my 66 Fairlane.  I had really hoped to have this done before now but family and other issues had to come first.  I won't bore you with the details.
I know this has been covered but I tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. I want to install the engine and transmission together. 
My plan is to leave the rear wheels on my lift and raise the rear end up high enough to shoehorn it all in. Was wondering how high it needs to be raised and what I need to watch out for.  Do the front wheels need to be on blocks to keep the bumper from preventing the lift from sliding under it?  I would appreciate any input and any pictures you may have of doing this..  I plan on taking pics during this to share in case someone needs help in the future.
Hopefully when I get everything together I can recruit enough help to get it done..  My wife helped me swap the motor in my 76 Bronco so
I can get her to run the hoist if need be  ;D.
Thanks

garyv

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
Re: Engine & transmission installation
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »
Did mine recently with a GV hanging off the back. My driveway slopes down into my shed so I just use the natural slope and the drainage dip. I don't block the front wheels but depending on the crane you may need to jack the car up a little after to get it out. I get a trolley jack under the back as it goes in to adjust whats going on.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 06:11:29 PM by 66FAIRLANE »

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply and the pictures

garyv

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 10:17:31 AM »
You will want the rear rubber at least 6” off the ground. Factoring in the suspension hang the body will be quite high. Block the front wheels. Biggest challenge might be clearing radiator support. My balancer just slips past. I have had to let air out of front tires due to low ceiling clearance. The sheet rock bears witness marks from the crane arm!

There is a thread here or on old forum of Ross installing an FE into a Mustang. Might search for that.
Good luck!
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’