Author Topic: Vendors  (Read 8376 times)

FElony

Vendors
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:15:02 PM »
Are there any vendors here that are competitive on parts from mainstream manufacturers like Edelbrock, Hooker, etc? Lately, Summit, Jegs, Speedway and a couple others have been price fixing on eBay, matching each other to the penny. Makes me wonder.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Vendors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:09:56 AM »
I try to match them whenever possible.  Usually everybody follows Summit on pricing - they are much larger than Jegs, and nobody else is even close from there.  The WalMart of performance parts.  Many manufacturers have established "MAP" (minimum advertised price) policies that prevent deeper discounting.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 05:36:51 AM »
I usually match Summit on my stuff too.  As Barry noted, there are some companies that establish a MAP and you are not allowed to sell cheaper than that, or they will pull your card....Tremec, MSD, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:38:03 AM »
Are there any vendors here that are competitive on parts from mainstream manufacturers like Edelbrock, Hooker, etc? Lately, Summit, Jegs, Speedway and a couple others have been price fixing on eBay, matching each other to the penny. Makes me wonder.

Yes, but price matching is legal. It's a fine point but only if two or more firms collude (short: talk to each other by phone, wire, US Mail, fax, e-mail, face-to-face) to set prices is illegality present. In today's connected world, it's really easy to find out a competitor's prices in situ (in place, where found) and match them.

Much more here:   https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/competition-guidance/guide-antitrust-laws/dealings-competitors/price-fixing
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 07:41:40 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

FElony

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 01:40:00 PM »
Summit used to be a good deal years ago, but I think the money they spend sponsoring racing series jacks their margin up. A couple months back I was looking at 6126 Hooks, which were $555 at the time, for a car that's third on the list. All of a sudden, Summit drops them to 505, and a couple others follow. Then just a few days later it flies back up to 561.95, where it has been ever since, matched by other vendors again as well as on Holley's own site. Had I known the 505 was going to be a blip on the radar screen, I would have moved on it.

So yes, I would say someone is controlling the advertised price. So maybe my original post should have read "Can someone PM me that can compete".

482supersnake

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 02:18:59 PM »
Check ebay and see if someone is selling a Summit 10% off code. I paid $5.00 for one on an order and saved $230.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 03:25:13 PM »
If you run 9:90 or quicker and are licensed to do so,  summit offers an additional discount. I'm not sure if there still doing that but I know the people that are already signed up for it still get the exstra % off. Could be worth checking into.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 04:00:41 PM »
Jeg's was doing the racer discount for any racer with a NHRA or IHRA permanent number, no matter what the et. It's not a straight percent off, it depends on the item, but every little bit helps. I know that may not help you Felony, but others may not know about it.

I've found my machinist usually can be pretty competitive with Summit pricing on engine build stuff, he's pretty good at finding sources for things. I would guess Barry, Brent & Blair are as well. I always ask him first.

I've found it's often worthwhile to check multiple sources sometimes. Although most of the big guys are about the same price on popular fast selling things, I've found quite a spread in price sometimes on smaller or slower selling parts, and Summit isn't always the cheapest. Of course that takes more time for the buyer. You may even want to Google search a part number, I've found companies with a cheaper price sometimes that I had never heard about.

I used to work in the retail grocery business and I know manufacturers lower the cost to retailers periodically on items - those are usually the things you see on sale weekly at your grocery store - I would guess the same thing happens in the performance auto parts world and could explain the brief lower price you saw. Big companies have buyers that probably stock up on inventory at that time, individual machine shops probably don't always have time or personnel to monitor that stuff.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

runthatjunk

• View Profile
Map pricing doesn't mean you can't sell cheaper
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
Just means you can't advertise or post a price that's cheaper.   That's part of reason many sites will have a "call for price" notation
1965 390 Galaxie 4 Speed
1966 428 Thunderbird

FElony

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:21:57 PM »
If you run 9:90 or quicker and are licensed to do so,  summit offers an additional discount. I'm not sure if there still doing that but I know the people that are already signed up for it still get the exstra % off. Could be worth checking into.

9.90? Worth checking into? lol. It takes me longer than that to fall out of bed in the morning. Longer if I have to pause to fart. Unless I wait till I'm already on the floor, in which case I risk the cat attacking my ass to kill the unknown predator.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 05:30:53 PM »
in which case I risk the cat attacking my ass to kill the unknown predator.
You'd think the cat would be used to it. :o
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

FElony

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 06:11:03 PM »
in which case I risk the cat attacking my ass to kill the unknown predator.
You'd think the cat would be used to it. :o

Yeah, I think "protecting the household" is just his excuse. Whaddya expect from a cat named "Fang"? If the female known as "Vampira" gets into it, I'm done for.

FElony

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 06:16:32 PM »
Check ebay and see if someone is selling a Summit 10% off code. I paid $5.00 for one on an order and saved $230.

I may go ahead and try some of these...

https://www.google.com/search?q=summit+discount+code&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 11:11:06 PM »
Being a vender myself,  like Barry and Brent... Your stuck with the MAP pricing. Because if you buy from someone who is on the so called black list ( for selling stuff under the map pricing ) they won't  warranty the product! Just a heads up on that.
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

FElony

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 01:42:51 PM »
Being a vendor myself,  like Barry and Brent... Your stuck with the MAP pricing. Because if you buy from someone who is on the so called black list ( for selling stuff under the map pricing ) they won't  warranty the product! Just a heads up on that.

The restrictions should be on the WD's for selling to price-cutter, then. I've been in this situation before on the manufacturer's side, so I get it. Just trying to accumulate parts to do 22 cars, so I look for deals when I can.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2016, 04:52:44 AM »
Being a vendor myself,  like Barry and Brent... Your stuck with the MAP pricing. Because if you buy from someone who is on the so called black list ( for selling stuff under the map pricing ) they won't  warranty the product! Just a heads up on that.

The restrictions should be on the WD's for selling to price-cutter, then. I've been in this situation before on the manufacturer's side, so I get it. Just trying to accumulate parts to do 22 cars, so I look for deals when I can.

They do restrict the "cutters" - their WD deal gets pulled if they misbehave.  Most WD programs are behind the invoice using rebates, dating terms and volume discounts.  When the manufacturers realized that they could pull those away legally without stepping on the price fixing laws it finally became possible for them to control market prices and prevent some crazy predatory price actions by big retailers.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:05 AM »
   I was a factory Rep for Milwaukee Tool, Coffing Hoist, Duff Norton, Perfecting and etc back when industrial tool supply houses were the only sources - no Home Depot, Lowes, ebay etc. All the companies were owned by the Amstar Corp "Domino Sugar". The sugar folks got nailed price-fixing internationally-Federally and fined big-time. (anyone remember a sugar shortage in 70s?)
   With Amstar being under the gun, every six-months I had to sign my life away stating I'd not talk to competitors, could not suggest pricing to distributors, could not even look at competitors price sheets etc. It's surprising how little a manufacturer can legally influence sale prices.  JMHO These minimum "selling prices" today would crumble like sand if ever challenged in court - but why bother $?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2016, 12:08:21 PM »
I usually match Summit on my stuff too.  As Barry noted, there are some companies that establish a MAP and you are not allowed to sell cheaper than that, or they will pull your card....Tremec, MSD, etc.

Support your builders....  I bought a handful of parts from Brent instead of Summit.  If he makes $20 for every $1000 I spend it's worth it to me as long as it's worth it to him.

FElony

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »

Support your builders....  I bought a handful of parts from Brent instead of Summit.  If he makes $20 for every $1000 I spend it's worth it to me as long as it's worth it to him.

Not sure how a manufacturer could ever know about prices between a vendor and a forum member.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 09:11:41 PM »
   JMHO These minimum "selling prices" today would crumble like sand if ever challenged in court - but why bother $?

They have been tested in court and have held.  The "trick" is that the penalty is behind the invoice.  The contracted or agreed to sell price to the vendor does not change on a part by part basis.  But the sweeteners (terms, ad rebates, volume kickers, etc) are all tied to published retail price levels as support items and are pinned to the overall package rather than part by part.  Seems to satisfy the lawyers and the judges even though it certainly skirts the fringes.

And true - individual sales to a given customer are completely invisible to the larger corporations.  But that's not what they are worried about.  The concern is mass market publication of highly discounted pricing, which reduces the perceived value of a product and brand, and which also puts smaller retailers at an extreme disadvantage.

FElony

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 09:34:51 PM »
   JMHO These minimum "selling prices" today would crumble like sand if ever challenged in court - but why bother $?

They have been tested in court and have held.  The "trick" is that the penalty is behind the invoice.  The contracted or agreed to sell price to the vendor does not change on a part by part basis.  But the sweeteners (terms, ad rebates, volume kickers, etc) are all tied to published retail price levels as support items and are pinned to the overall package rather than part by part.  Seems to satisfy the lawyers and the judges even though it certainly skirts the fringes.

And true - individual sales to a given customer are completely invisible to the larger corporations.  But that's not what they are worried about.  The concern is mass market publication of highly discounted pricing, which reduces the perceived value of a product and brand, and which also puts smaller retailers at an extreme disadvantage.

What about discounts on products that someone has named or has had named after them?  ;D

While manu's keep their perceived value high, it enables competition from others that can profit at narrower margins.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 05:38:06 AM »
What about discounts on products that someone has named or has had named after them?  ;D

Be in the alley behind Ricky's bar.  Tomorrow night just before closing.  We'll talk...

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 06:46:51 AM »
Be in the alley behind Ricky's bar.  Tomorrow night just before closing.  We'll talk...

Sounds like he's still gonna "pay" in a non-invoice kinda manner......  well, guess everyone has their own special skills, good luck Felony!

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 08:28:30 AM »
Try Midnite Auto Parts. Don't forget to use your five finger discount.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 09:26:21 AM »

I have accounts at both Summit Pro Shop and Jegs.  And I don't run 9.90 or faster.  Yet.  Saves me a bunch.  BUT - I also tend to check with Brent and Tim Meyer for things - Summit and Jegs are not always the best price.  PLUS - our "local" (internet local) folks provide good support.