Author Topic: CAMMERS ON FUEL  (Read 3793 times)

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

CAMMERS ON FUEL
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:48:12 AM »
This 427 Ford made huge power this week in a private test session and video shoot.

Thanks to Rodders Journal, be looking for an awesome series to come, my old pal Long and all the rest

Enjoy !   
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:15:49 AM by HolmanMoodyStroppeGang »

BruceS

• View Profile
Re: CAMMERS ON FUEL
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 08:18:44 PM »
Tom,
gotta love these photos, the most beautiful looking and performing fueler of the 60s IMO.  I noticed the headers kick out a bit farther on the resto vs. the original; is this because you run them a bit fatter now and The Snake might singe his gloves in a cackle showdown?   ;D
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 09:37:06 PM »
Thanks a lot man,,,it was a long jouRney but awesome.

Nitro headers cook off and crack fast. A few styleS were used and Don Long, Snake and the gang all liked this look.  These are 'laid down' enough to hit your face from 20-30 feet away with a warm exhaust pulse.

I did you a long essay but it went poof so let me eat and can we share a bit more. And anybody can chime in on any aspect of this Hot Rod. You don't need to be a fuel guy to hear this

Snake was sitting there as we all ate and he looked at her with with pride and sighed, he then smiled and said; ''We beat them all'

This guy is a bit rich here, lean there, and I have a video of it blasting 5-6 feet of flames around 10PM.   Awesome deal

I need help formating that.  Yes many cackle cars we do are set very very safe. You turn the barrle valve, see pictures, rich by 1,2 or 3 'flats'. That means, you adjust that little hex link, which has left and right hand threads, one flat at a time, in increments.

That night, we did a filiming of the thing making huge flames. One trick was, 2 flats richer.

But this cackle car is not set soft at all.  It is probably, just 'over center' in our opinion, based on many many tune ups in our book. The base tune ups are original FORD Drag Team data we kept, and built off of year after year, for decades.

OK, she was set  to make at least 2500 Horses me and some tuner pals feel. Definitely more there but set to really pound the pavement. I still have significant hearing loss 2 days later

She ran a high nitro % number, lets say in the 90s. Note, many cackle guys play super safe, in the 70s.   The was blower spinning over twice what is legal for us in Heritage now. We can go 270 at 18 over, so imagine around twice that?  They key thing is how much compression, or down( Down means the pistons deck height is 150 in the hole, 200 down, 250 down, 400 down, etc)

A bunch on advance too. That is secret but she had plenty of Mag. You can over advance a blown fuelr and split the block right in half, fast. Seen over anxious guys do it idling.

The publicity on the car will be rolled out slowly, please watch the Rodders Journal who did an awesome job filming her. We go back 30 plus years with the publisher, and he sure is a wonderful person, as are his super talented crews.

Thanks so much

Given the strength of a cast iron POND block, and his Aluminum SOHC heads passing the test with flying colors, there is no doubt we can stuff an FE in the 5s now, no doubt at all.

My first calls were to key friends, and then to Robert Pond.  He was quite pleased and I shared more of course.

I have invited him to many events but the schedules often clash.  I am happy that he wants to run the Hot Rod Reunion some day, awesome !

Such a nice man too.

I hope all you guys like this stuff, and any of you can chime in and get a chance to hear a wicked fast FE on Nitro some day soon.

More soon amigos

Thanks for all of the emails too

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:34:55 PM by HolmanMoodyStroppeGang »

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:36:46 AM »
Tom this is great it gives me more pictures so mine looks right when I am done, thanks for the story's  Leny Mason

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

Who likes blown FE's?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 08:19:04 PM »
I did this post and wondered, if it was more affordable, who would stuff a blown FE in their Hot Rod?  We have so many around here that I hope more guys get in to it.

Remember FORD put a Paxton on the T Birds in 1957

Leny, thanks for everything.  You have a real nice collection, super cool shop and a bunch of talent no doubt man

Since you plan to force feed a SOHC, old school, email me any time and I will share what I can from our old tune up books.

Supercharged FE make just as much sense as the many modern examples from Detroit and Europa....

Detroit Diesels ran a 6-71 for well over 1 Million miles towing heavy loads across the globe. Then the roots got new bearings, re timed, and run again

Leny,,,I think the folks would love a little guided tour of your cool Hot Rod shop, maybe share some photos some day

You know, I think the boys would love a picture show from Blair...and Barry, Jay for sure, and may others spots.  A nice 2 car garage can win the Grand American....win countless races, and so much more

The Ridge Route Terrors, dominated Top Fuel when I was young, from a nice big garage.  Warren Coburn and Miller beat Garlits at INDY from a nice garage....and just about everybody else.

Key deal is what I often say, if 4 or 5 good guys with connections and a job get together, you can build one mighty stout Hot Rod.   In modern Heritage racing, you see some fast teams based on friends all pitching in

I need to format the 4 videos from this test at Bakersfield, I think you guys would get a big smile, I sure did !

My Best

Tom and the guys

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 07:27:52 AM »
Thanks for the updates Tom! Really brings back memories seeing this dragster again. Don was/is a class act always! Always great with his fans. Don knew how much that Cammer meant to Ford fans back in the day.

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »
Right On !  Mr Katz....my ears are still a bit deaf !  This SOHC sounded fierce ! I have a few videos.

One is at 10 PM at night, the flames are so so alluring, captivating and stout !

I attached a picture of the cock pit,,,,,how many of us would LOVE to be the guy sliding in to that seat !

Now for the new guys, doing the burn out is the fun part.   You are not going to get hurt. You rev it up until it gets smooth, drop the clutch and it stands up on the tire and you smoke them as long as you keep the loud pedal cracked.

Everybody in blown racing knows this...The burnout is the fun part

The brave part is keeping it in the groove and driving all the way out the back door, or, to 1320 ft

Many guys lifted early back then,,,,at 1,000 ft,1,100 or just at the MPH traps, that last 60 ft

We still do this today.  Often, those hand signals you see by the Crew Chief, to the driver?  They are code for when to lift....or get off the loud pedal. Often, the driver does not make the call about when to lift.   The Crew Chief and tuners do, based upon what the owner is OK with

An example is this. Many Heritage AAFD, or AAFC cars, nostalgia Nitro cars....the are tuned to ET a lot, and if they have to be driven all of the way out the back door, lifting at 1320 feet, many explode

Bartone explodes a lot if he goes to the end. He usually lifts at 1000 ft, or 1100.  You can see and hear it

The Champion Speed shop car, it explodes on the big end all the time,  It is a small block running mid 5's.  That team is well funded and super cool, so they just feed the car shortblocks, sleeves, whatever it needs

You can run low 6s, and not field strip the engine at all. Done this for many years.  If it leaks down OK, and if everything else looks good, you turn them around with low maintenance too.

More to follow

A friend gave me 5 sets of SOHC pistons today so I am measuring and checking them.   Got 2 sets of NOS MT aluminum SOHC rods too.  They were the best made then.

392 Chrysler rod bearings (Around 2 3/8ths rather than 2 7/16s), and 1.000 wide, versus, 875 for the LeMans.  The SK NASCAR rods were 1 inch wide and the std FE rod bearing size...2.437-8

Thanks now

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 09:51:55 AM »
Top secret Video Teaser here......

https://youtu.be/iRmvTnUSMhk

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 06:42:43 PM »
Awesome read w/ The Snake.... That car had to be on the back of more car magazines (Crane Cams ad)  than any other ever was..
  Guess Crane was really pleased with themselves making cammer cams?

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/don-snake-prudhomme-brings-back-shelby-super-snake
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 07:27:02 PM by Qikbbstang »