Author Topic: Anyone Use Evans Waterless Coolant ?  (Read 5839 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Use Evans Waterless Coolant ?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
There does indeed exist a problem that Evans solves. And that is the problem of corrosion. When you keep your cars forever, like I usually do, and when you care what happens to the car after your dead, Evans is a good idea. There is no water in the cooling system, and the result is zero rust or corrosion.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »
There does indeed exist a problem that Evans solves. And that is the problem of corrosion. When you keep your cars forever, like I usually do, and when you care what happens to the car after your dead, Evans is a good idea. There is no water in the cooling system, and the result is zero rust or corrosion.

When I was looking into coolants and overheating, I was directed to several users. The consensus was that when one had an ongoing overheating problem, the superior heat carrying/removal ability of the propylene glycol, used together with 'hard' parts designed to take proper advantage of this feature, was a significant problem solver. If you don't have the problem, you don't NEED the solution.

KS

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 09:46:46 PM »
No need here, just currious about this coolant. I really haven't heard much about Evan's being used. If I were to use it, my motor has never had water in it, so rather than spending money using their prep solution to mix with the water and drain it, now would be the time to use the coolant.

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 03:38:56 AM »
Looking at the safety data sheet for Evans high performance waterless coolant says it's 80-85% ethylene glycol and uses an organic acid rust inhibitor.  They leave you to guess what the remaining 15-20% material is.  And since they don't mention it, you can be sure it's not worth mentioning...likely water.  The organic acid rust inhibitor will give a few more years of protection but I'd still flush my engine every 5 years or so.

I can see why it causes engines to run warmer.  Ethylene glycol has a lower heat capacity than water which means you have to pump it faster to remove the same amount of heat as water.

In my FE powered truck, I use 2.5 gallons of prestone concentrate and 2.5 gallons of distilled water (total cost about $40).  5 gallons of Evans product is about $220 ...same stuff with slightly longer life rust protector.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:41:12 AM by TJ »

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »
Evans is a glycol mix, varies on the product but ethylene and proplyene mixed with something to make it taste very bitter and a corrosion package, water has to be a very small percentage, probably less than 1%. Water defeats the purpose of using Evans coolant.

427HISS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 08:19:53 PM »
Sounds like I won't be using it.