Author Topic: Timing gear dowel pin length?  (Read 4542 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Timing gear dowel pin length?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »
we use a ball bearing all the time when needed.  trim dowel flush to eccentric face.  we make our own cam washer and use an ARP bolt with red loctite.  we only use 1 piece eccentrics.  Original timing sets had the dowel press fit into the cam sprocket but we have all forgotten about that a long time ago.

uniceptor

• View Profile
Re: Timing gear dowel pin length?
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
Interesting that RockAuto offers a Camshaft Hardware Kit http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5580249&cc=1119844&jsn=1194
that has what I think is the correct dowel pin (3.090" x 1.50") and summit racing only offers the short dowel.
Going to see if any of the local auto part stores have the correct dowel, now that I have measurements.

Most cams usually come with a short dowel and a long dowel.  I just went and measured, the long dowel is 1.5".   If you can't find any local to you, let me know and I'll throw you one in the mail.  I've got a million of them.

I could not find the correct size locally.  The closest size I found at the auto and hardware stores is 5/16" x 1-1/2".  I tried a 5/16" (0.3125") diameter and it is too big.  It might work if pressed or hammered in, but I'm not going to do that with a new camshaft.  Thanks for the offer to send one, but I've ordered the Camshaft Hardware kit from Rock Auto.  I will report back when it arrives.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:13:27 AM by uniceptor »