Author Topic: Gearvendors behind a Toploader  (Read 2070 times)

MeanMofakee

Gearvendors behind a Toploader
« on: October 18, 2017, 10:26:20 AM »
That grinds my gears. I've been told by multiple people that Gear Vendors solution to the long tailshaft toploaders is less than optimal, so I had switched my mind to a TKO600.

This statement was made in another thread. It was what I was planning on doing for drivetrain choice. I would like to hear about any problems or issues that may have been encountered. Is this just with the 17" tailshaft housing length? Or with all of them? Going to be used in a Fairlane

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Gearvendors behind a Toploader
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
After learning that I'd have to chop apart the floor of my Galaxie if I wanted a TKO600 in it, I ended up calling Gear Vendors and David Kee this week to see what the deal was. Gear Vendors claims no binding issues of shift rods. David Kee mentioned that they only install Hurst Competition Plus shufters on that setup. Kee has only done a couple of them in the last several years and didn't remember anything glaringly bad. May have to clearance some things lightly, but no major issues.

Here's the deal.....Gear Vendors only casts one tailhousing body, and for the long style tailhousing cars, they machine them and bolt on an adapter plate that shifts the shifter location backward. Doesn't sound like they receive enough orders for long tailhousing cars that making a separate casting would pay off.

I thought back on it...I believe the people I had talked to about the gear vendors setup were both using factory shifters. They both claimed the same issue, that the placement of the shifter on the housing put the rods in a bind. Sounds like they just needed to swap to a Hurst shifter. I'm not sure what the differences in the two are, but apparently it's enough to make the factory one a problem?

I'm headed to the barn Friday afternoon to see if I can find a usable toploader to re-do and I'll be ordering the gear vendors unit for it.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 04:36:21 PM »
I say that their plate moves the shifter backward....but maybe its forward. Regardless, it moves the shifter position.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

MeanMofakee

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:37:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. That makes me feel better about using what I had planned. Going in a 67 Fairlane will need the std length housing. Was going to talk with Brent about a Long shifter.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:15:25 AM »
please keep us posted , interested in doing the same thing .