Author Topic: Browell Bellhousing  (Read 1751 times)

HR427

• View Profile
Browell Bellhousing
« on: November 25, 2020, 03:54:54 PM »
Does anyone here run a Browell Bellhousing?  They are telling me a 164 tooth flywheel will be tight and recommend a 157.  While I am getting a custom clutch, the clutch company likes a 164 better for my application.  Anyone running one with a 164?

preaction

• View Profile
Re: Browell Bellhousing
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »
I personally dont believe they work on "older" Ford engine familys often and I had a poor experience with them having to send the bellhousing back and fourth many times before they made it right.

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 06:48:16 PM »
How long ago, and what kind of problems, if you dont mind explaining?

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 08:14:26 PM »
Does anyone here run a Browell Bellhousing?  They are telling me a 164 tooth flywheel will be tight and recommend a 157.  While I am getting a custom clutch, the clutch company likes a 164 better for my application.  Anyone running one with a 164?

Even the common 10.5" clutch uses a STD 11" pressure plate, thus they likely want you to use a 164 flywheel.  The typical stock 10.5 clutch would fit on a 157.  There is a 10" version available for small blocks, but not as common.  A friend has one on his 347.  If I recall, the hat is actually a Model T part?  It's been awhile since I asked about it.

I've never checked to see if an 11" would physically bolt onto a 157 if you drilled the flywheel for it?  I know even my 164 kinda rubs on my Lakewood at times as there are many inside the inner edge of bellhousing.
Larry

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 08:32:30 PM »
I have a Browell aluminum 8 5/8" deep bell for an FE. I haven't put it to use yet, but it was used before. Originally it was designed for a chevy 168 tooth ring gear long ago, but that is illegal now because the steel liner did not come out to cover the ring gear, not enough room in the bell. A flywheel came out in UK I believe and killed a spectator. They made a rule change in the US after that (A story I heard...).

The 164 SBF ring gear won't fit either, the 157 will. If you use a 10" hat then that will work with the smaller 157 flywheel. I bought mine for a Super Stock racer, and what he did was research all the ring gears and outside diameters etc. What he came up with was using an AMC 164 tooth ring gear, that is in between the two SBF ring gear outside diameters. Cut his FE flywheel on a lathe to fit and install the AMC ring gear, and ran a 10" Soft loc hat and disc. He put the full depth steel liner in the bell. He said it worked out very well and he felt safer knowing the flywheel won't cut through the floor.

He had to buy a custom starter from GPE Competition starters in OK I think, they make a lot of starters for oddball stuff and deep cans in particular, he is a comp racer.

http://gpestarters.com/services/ 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 08:34:08 PM by XR7 »
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

preaction

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 11:18:53 PM »
Browell said to use GPE also for my set up it didnt work and GPE starters are not inexpensive, your experience may be different. I tried to accomplish what the OP is looking to do and it was a poor experience, Browell eventually wound up providing a starter as you can imagine this sidelined my car for longer than I would like to admit.

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2020, 07:05:59 AM »
Sounds like I'm going to cancel my order and just go with a quick time. The time and added expenses won't be worth it.