Poll

Would you or someone you know buy a manifold base similar to the old PSE unit for $395?

No interest
1 (1.1%)
Maybe someday
25 (26.6%)
Would seriously consider it for my next FE intake purchase
25 (26.6%)
Definitely would purchase one
43 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Market Demand for a new version of the PSE-style intake adapter?  (Read 39528 times)

pharder

• View Profile
Re: Market Demand for a new version of the PSE-style intake adapter?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Jay,
         I just purchased a copy of your FE intake compro book and find it extremely interesting. There is a lot of good information that will be a big time saver when rebuilding the FE. One thing I noticed in the photos for the PSE adapter is that the intakes bolted on top of the adapter did not have a valley section. I have a 4V Weiand tunnel ram with the valley section cast into the manifold. It may not be an issue, however it appears from the photos the left front water passage of the adapter may interfere with the manifold base. On your design does the manifold valley section need to be removed, or will it fit above the water passage? Please let me know when you get a chance.

Thanks, and once again, great book.  Pat

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2013, 02:26:26 AM »
Pat, on my Weiand tunnel ram a small corner of the intake flange had to be removed, and if I recall correctly the valley flange had to be trimmed a little to fit over the water passage.  FYI just about any 351C intake will require at least some modification to fit.  I will be offering manifold modification services along with the intake adapters themselves in case people don't want to do that part themselves.  But if you've got a hacksaw and a die grinder, most of the manifolds can be modified without too much trouble.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

billballinger

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2013, 04:16:56 AM »
The only fly in the ointment is the turn, I think I would aid the angle by rounding it to fit a 351C intake but maybe round the entry to match the turn in the heads.  The front 4 angle forward and the back four angle baclk.  It would take a little modeling and testing, but a bias turn in the intake like your sheelt metal intake was a work of art in that it ket everything a straight shot.  The entries would have to turn slighly around for the port angles to match.  I would think the turn would start immediately at the intake attachment to allow a smooth transition to th already short port and short side.

JMO.  But I have been screaming for this for years, you could service roller lifters, use a mirror to watch pushrod sweep and contact areas.  I also like the fact that it is a dry top, you can have a 1X4 for the street and a 2X4 for the strip, or have an EFI top with injectors, rails, throttle body and a plug in for a Fast setup.  The possibilities are 20th to 22nd century !

Your handmade sheet metal intake for the BT HRs is a work of art!