Author Topic: 800 hp nitrous Mustang with a dealer warranty?  (Read 2411 times)

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: 800 hp nitrous Mustang with a dealer warranty?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
I'm surprised to see it offered with nitrous. But there are a few dealers that offer Mustangs with various Roush packages and tuning that retain the factory 3/36.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
Naaaaws isn't that bad or really "dangerous" if it's installed with good components and wiring.  Stuff happens with race cars for sure, but most of the issues I've seen with NO2 involve sketchy wiring, cheaping out on fuel system/nitrous controls, etc.  I'd run a 200 ish shot on the car but I'm not the "kit - bottle, lines, two solenoids and a spray bar" guy.  I'd have to have progressive controller, separate fuel supply, thermostat bottle blanket control, etc, etc.  Do it right or toss the rods LOL.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 03:06:44 PM »
Just because it's listed as having a warranty, doesn't mean it'll be valid when something happens. Lots of complaints can be found about Ford not delivering on the warranty with new cars, and Mustangs in particular. They can always find a way out, and it's generally not worth fighting a long drawn out battle in court.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:08:03 PM »
Jeez Doug that would suck. But I guess it’s possible, usually if you have oil change bills they are sorta obligated no?

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 06:47:01 AM »
Just because it's listed as having a warranty, doesn't mean it'll be valid when something happens. Lots of complaints can be found about Ford not delivering on the warranty with new cars, and Mustangs in particular. They can always find a way out, and it's generally not worth fighting a long drawn out battle in court.

I think that's true of a lot of manufactures and I've found a lot depends on the individual dealers I've found. When the 6.0 PowerStrokes came out and all the head gasket failures started happening most dealers would kick you out on the street if they saw any aftermarket stuff. One local dealer here I went and talked to a service writer before bringing anything in. After that they did probably 15 or 20 head gasket jobs under warranty for me and put my gaskets and head studs in.

On the other hand I had a Chevy dealership last year deny a warranty claim on a 100% stock ZL1 because they found a time slip under the seat. Had to argue with regional guy for weeks to get them to fix it.

I'd be the nitrous mustang will be the same. If they think you were racing it, or you take it to a dealer that isn't friendly to performance guys and you're probably out of luck. And if they put notes in the right spot when they turn in the warranty work order then you have to talk to Ford to try and straighten it out......and probably will just be out of luck at that point.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:18:33 AM »
I think that's true of a lot of manufactures and I've found a lot depends on the individual dealers I've found.

Absolutely true. I wasn't trying to pick on Ford, because they're all guilty of it. They can find any nit-picking deal to back out of a warranty. You often can get them to make good on it, but only after a long battle with corporate or higher ups, and after many months of it. Meanwhile, you're stuck with a non-functioning car and the payment.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 10:30:34 AM »
All the local dealers look at the pics we take at the track, especially if a "warranty" claim comes in that looks suspiciously like it happened at the track.  "No, haven't been racing."  Service Manager whips out phone, pull up our picture site.  "This your car?"  "S***". 

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »
I think that's true of a lot of manufactures and I've found a lot depends on the individual dealers I've found.

Absolutely true. I wasn't trying to pick on Ford, because they're all guilty of it. They can find any nit-picking deal to back out of a warranty. You often can get them to make good on it, but only after a long battle with corporate or higher ups, and after many months of it. Meanwhile, you're stuck with a non-functioning car and the payment.

For sure. If you have a bad dealer you are in for a pretty ruff go of things and may just end up holding the bag. I've learned to be very careful approaching dealers about anything that involves commonly modified vehicles. Overall I've had pretty decent luck I think, but I've been stung a few times too. Ford has been the best for me getting stuff warrantied, Slopar the worst and GM somewhere in the middle. But everyone will have a little different experience because it's so dependent on how good your dealer is.