Author Topic: braided hose  (Read 906 times)

djburton

• View Profile
braided hose
« on: April 15, 2024, 07:33:37 AM »
I have an issue with the power steering pressure hose pulling out of the fitting. The other Ford big block,Saginaw pump set at 1100 psi, -6 double sheathed stainless braided hose rated at 1500 psi, not sure of the fitting brand. Anyway,the hose eventually worked it's way out of the fitting for a really nice oil down. The guy wants to keep the braided look to match everything else.  So the question...any of you have any recommendations for braided hose and fittings suitable for high pressure hydraulic type situations?  Thanks!

cleandan

• View Profile
Re: braided hose
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 09:03:56 AM »
Yes.
Find a place like Pirtek and have them make you a proper hose.
https://www.pirtekusa.com/

I don't know if you have this company where you live, but I bet you can find a similar type outfit.

They will make a hose for you to fit the application specific needs.
They will use hydraulic fittings and tools to build the hose to withstand the pressures.

What specific hose, and specific fittings are currently being used?
Pictures are good, and brand names and part numbers are even better.
I want to see the bare fitting, as well as the bare hose please.

There are a number of different stainless braided hose styles and fittings and some of them just won't work for this type of use.
Even if the hose is rated to a certain pressure, the fitting to hose connection may not be adequate.
Let us know what you are using to better help you find a solution.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 02:54:02 PM »
ptfe braided hose and ptfe fitting good option for make your own line's.

I run them for all fluid lines in my car they are rated up to 4000psi and for use with Brake, E85, Alcohol, Nitro, Diesel fuels, transmission, clutch, nitrous, power steering, oiling, hydraulics & vacuum applications. Can't use them for Brake lines in my country for road legal use.

It is very important for a high pressure line to have the correct line and correct fitting to match that line used.

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 08:07:37 PM »
PTFE hose is a great universal purpose hose that'll cover any application on your car.  It's very easy to assemble too.

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2024, 07:24:14 AM »
We do have Tubes N Hoses here and they can make me one up but won't match the other mile of braided that's on the car. Speedway has a 3 ft piece of PTFE and fittings that should be perfect.   Thanks!

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 08:12:42 AM »
If you're buying PTFE braided hose and fittings, make sure to get fittings rated for hydraulic pressure and have a reputable shop crimp/swage them on properly.  You would be surprised how many fittings are sold without the pressure rating specs being advertised or considered.  Always assume it is low pressure class unless otherwise specified. 

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2024, 09:45:54 AM »
If you're buying PTFE braided hose and fittings, make sure to get fittings rated for hydraulic pressure and have a reputable shop crimp/swage them on properly.  You would be surprised how many fittings are sold without the pressure rating specs being advertised or considered.  Always assume it is low pressure class unless otherwise specified. 

Buy the same brand line/hose and fitting

ptfe fittings do not need a crimp connection you can get crimp fittings but most use a collar that goes over the inner liner under the braid.

Also added bonus to ptfe hose is it is much smaller OD then rubber. The -6 line I use for my power steering has an OD of only 0.429" it may look odd if you only do the one line

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2024, 06:54:48 AM »

ptfe fittings do not need a crimp connection you can get crimp fittings but most use a collar that goes over the inner liner under the braid.

Also added bonus to ptfe hose is it is much smaller OD then rubber. The -6 line I use for my power steering has an OD of only 0.429" it may look odd if you only do the one line

Good point!  Each manufacturer runs to different tolerances, so for "max material conditions" the ferrule may not actually fit over the teflon liner.  Incredibly frustrating when that happens.  I had 30' of 8AN PTFE and none of the ferrules fit, and it was the same brand. 

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2024, 08:14:30 AM »

Good point!  Each manufacturer runs to different tolerances, so for "max material conditions" the ferrule may not actually fit over the teflon liner.  Incredibly frustrating when that happens.  I had 30' of 8AN PTFE and none of the ferrules fit, and it was the same brand.

Yes CV355 lucky I didn't have any problems with any of mine. Did you find out what the problem was?.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 01:16:38 PM »
The power steering pressure and any brake hoses need to be the crimped on ends and not the stuff you can assemble at home in a vice. There are a few local places that do that and have the proper fittings too. Should be places like that near you.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 06:19:37 PM »
The power steering pressure and any brake hoses need to be the crimped on ends and not the stuff you can assemble at home in a vice. There are a few local places that do that and have the proper fittings too. Should be places like that near you.

Not sure what to tell you apart from my engine bay is very dirty.

I use a borgerson's power steer box and borgerson's saginaw pump Areoflow 200 series ptfe hose and areoflow 570 series ptfe fittings. 

djburton

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 07:42:34 AM »
Thanks! Went with Aeroquip PTFE hose and fittings. Always been good quality in the past. Like usual,1 fitting back ordered. Story of my life...