Author Topic: FE Power at the 2018 PRI Show  (Read 15348 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
FE Power at the 2018 PRI Show
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:18:15 PM »
Once again this year FE Power is exhibiting its products at the Performance Racing Industry show.  Prior to this year's show Barry R and I talked about getting our two booths set up next to each to provide a sort of hub for the FE faithful.  We worked with the PRI folks and were able to make this happen.  This year we made it into the main convention hall; my booth is #4355, and Survival Motorsports is right next door.  Should be lots of fun hanging out with Barry and Marc during the show:

I've been spending most of my time over the last few months working on my cylinder head project.  Because of the substantial changes I've made to the basic head design, its not just a head project; it involves the intake adapter, three different intake manifolds, and a whole new rocker arm system.  I'm please to report that the head design is basically finished, after some significant modifications from the previous iteration.  The water jacket design was an extremely challenging part of this work, and took me 3-4 weeks all by itself.  Also, in addition to the basic head design, I have designed the sand cores required to get the heads cast, and I expect to have the first two prototype castings at the end of January (In fact it should be sooner, but with the holiday shutdowns at the foundries and core shops I'm hedging my bets on the date).

I fully expect the first prototype heads to have some unanticipated problems, but having the first couple of prototypes will allow me to get the machining programs dialed in, even if there are problems.  And any required design revisions go a lot faster than a ground up design, plus the foundry I'm working with on these heads has been pretty quick on the turnaround, so I'm hopeful that I can have some heads to run on an engine by this spring.

Of course in addition to the heads, I'm been working on intakes.  The intake adapter has already been designed and manufactured; it uses my basic high riser and tunnel port casting, but has a different port configuration that either of those.  It also has a valve cover rail that matches the heads, and is actually higher than a high riser valve cover rail, but uses the same valve cover rail angle as a medium riser.  For manifold tops I've designed a billet 2X4 intake, a single 4 Dominator flange intake, and the new design shown in 3D printed form in the photo below, an individual runner crossram style intake.  This intake is designed for street applications, and is EFI only.  One of the design constraints was to keep it under the hood of a 67-70 Mustang (because I want to put this setup on MY car ;-)).  Right now a stock distributor won't fit, but I'm considering machining a special distributor just for this setup.  Otherwise, individual coil packs can be used.  In any case this will have to be a crank trigger setup, because any new distributor will have to be low enough to clear the runners and this will make it difficult to fit a triggering or advance mechanism into the distributor.  As shown, the intake will not allow the hood to shut on my 68 Mustang; the front four ram tube bells hit one of the supports in the hood.  However, a smaller bell on the ram tube will solve this problem.  I also have to move the injector mounts down a little, so that the fuel rails will clear the hood at the front.  But other than that, this intake system will fit.  Imagine popping the hood on your car to see something like this:

Also towards the back of the photo above you can see part of the 3D printed single 4 manifold that will also work with the intake adapter and these heads.

Lastly, I have the rocker arm system finalized and the machined prototypes can be seen at the bottom of the photo above, bolted onto the 3D printed cylinder head.  The rocker system uses a very sturdy steel bar, that bolts into the cylinder head itself, and also  bolts into some special nuts that are used on the head studs.  Stock ARP FE head studs are used.  Bolting the bar into both the flat part of the head and into the head stud locations provides two different angles of attachment, which I think will be very strong and secure. 

The rockers are in pairs, and on four individual rocker shafts.  The shafts are pinned to the heads, and steel caps bolt over the shafts to hold them securely in position.  Oiling is through the pushrods.  The intake ports on the heads are straight in like a tunnel port head, rather than hooking in like a normal FE wedge head, so the intake rocker has a very large offset in order for the pushrod to clear the intake port without having to go through the port like a tunnel port pushrod does.  Valves are very long, over 6", and use a 5/16" stem.  The rockers themselves have needle bearing fulcrums and are machined of hardened 7075 aluminum for strength and longevity.

The cylinder head design has changed somewhat over the last few months, mostly to accommodate the requirements of the water jacket constraints, but also to improve the chamber.  The primary difference is the spark plug location; my original design placed the plug close to the stock FE location, but to get the chamber the way I wanted it I had to move the plug so that it was more underneath the port.  This gives the plug a more central location in the chamber and gets the electrode in a better position.  The picture below shows the exhaust side of the head and the plug location:

The next photo shows the intake side of the head.  The ports are just slightly larger than a stock medium riser port in this 3D printed head, but I plan to do two port versions, one with a smaller port that can be run as-is or ported by someone else, and one with full CNC machining done on the ports, like the 3D printed version.  I've tried to leave enough aluminum around the port so that they could be opened up even more if necessary, but the CNC ported version should be good for 850+ HP right off the shelf, so for most folks that should be plenty big.  As mentioned previously, initial tests on the 3D printed head showed an intake flow of 405 cfm at 0.700" lift.  This flow comes from the fact that the ports are raised a full 1.5" over a stock medium riser port location, and they are also straightened out rather than hooking in towards the cylinder wall.  In addition, the valves on the heads have been moved to a better location for flow.

Next are a few photos of the rest of the display, for those who can't attend the show.  Since my valve covers finally became available I've been able to produce quite a few different varieties, as shown in the photo below.  Also, my tests over the summer of the baffle system on my clear valve covers have proven relatively successful, so I will be making those available soon.  Also note the one picture below with two valve covers; on the CJ style valve cover at the bottom, you can see the spot for the screw-in cap, and the aluminum underneath that forms the baffle.  The top valve cover is not easy to see, but it is my first pentroof style clear valve cover.  I just got the first one successfully vacuum formed this past Sunday, after at least 15 tries.  But I think I have the secret now, and if I am able to get the pentroof style clear valve covers vacuum formed reliably, I will make those available soon as well.

If you happen to be planning a trip to PRI, please stop by the booth and say hi.  It's always great to put a face with the forum logins on this site, and of course PRI is a great place to talk about existing and new projects. 
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
Re: FE Power at the 2018 PRI Show
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 11:48:01 PM »
Cool Beans , I hope your coming to the FE Race and Reunion again this year look forward to seeing you and the Cool Parts !
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:08:47 PM by Faron »

afret

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:50:17 PM »
Wow, that's some really nice stuff!!  Looking forward to getting a pair of those clear CJ covers. 

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »
Really cool to see you and Barry set up next to each other, that is a lot of FE coolness in one spot! Also awesome to see that development work continues on the venerable FE. I wish I had a project I could justify buying that top end for because that is just plain cool! Sadly, all I currently have for FE powered vehicles are old trucks. And not cool hot rod shorty drag trucks either.

That IR EFI setup is super trick, especially getting it to fit in your car.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:00 AM »
Jay,I gotta report that the clear covers are holding up quite nicely on my 427 in the truck. I got a lot of comments from both traditional rodders and the ricer crowd that have seen them this past summer. I didn`t get to my regular venues, but word is getting out that I`m running them. Now if I could just get a  clear cap to fit the Unilite it would be really impressive in there!

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 06:25:38 AM »
Jay, if I may ask, have you determined a final chamber volume for the heads ?
Cant wait to possibly see a head at the reunion.  Great looking stuff, I have no doubt once sorted out it's all gonna perform excellant..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 07:14:07 AM »
Chamber volume is in the 65-68 cc range - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 08:12:42 AM »
Yes, yes I can imagine opening my hood and seeing that beautiful intake.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:00:28 AM »
All outstanding pieces Jay! The real stars though are the 2 new heads. The straight valve FE head is truly your own however with all the changes you've made.

Maybe it's now a....JFE head!  ;D
Bob Maag

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:27:32 AM »
Jay,
If that’s a weiand tunnel ram fitted to your adapter?
could you possibly run a tape over it, if you have time.
I am interested in china wall to the carby face.
Total mounted height.
I would love to run that setup, but need to try keep within the laws of my state.
Thanks for all your FE bits and great posts with lots of facts.
Allways a great and interesting read.
Thanks
Joel

Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
Don't think that I'm trying to be negative, I'm just wondering about some possible issues.

1: With the exhaust ports aimed directly out, they would aim squarely at a shock tower. Have you determined if they would be usable in a tower car? Being the ports are cut back, they may be, but not sure. Plugs could be a real PITA to get at however. On a non-tower or tube chassis car, certainly not an issue.

2: With such a big offset rocker, wouldn't that place the pushrod at an extreme angle? Would that cause an issue with bending or deflecting? Would it also cause an issue with side-loading the lifter? With a longer valve, a fairly significant increase in rocker mass, plus a huge pushrod to resist deflecting, it seems the weight increase might be a big detriment, and possibly hard to control at the higher RPMs.

Being that the head, adapter, rocker system and I think the intake must all be used together, not to mention a special distributor, or more accurately an oil pump drive; that would be a very expensive route to go. I wouldn't think many people would be willing to drop that much coin on an entire upper end, unless all out performance, in a non-class racing venue was the goal. I suppose somebody could make their own intake, only requiring the heads, rocker system and adapter to be used as a package.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be negative, just looking at the big picture. The pieces look awesome, just not usable for the average FE guy. Any chance to see a shot of the combustion chamber?
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
Questions:

1)  Will the crossram only work with your new heads' port configuration?
2)  Will you provide a stub shaft in place of the distributor to drive the oil pump?
3)  could the injectors (and fuel rails) be mounted in the valley area, on the lower side of the runners (to reduce installed height)?
4)  would some sort of vacuum chamber connecting the individual runners be useful?
5)  can't tell, is there a 'dent' in the driver's side clear valve cover to clear a brake booster?
6)  How could ordinary people visit PRI --- Friday first thing hypothetically?

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 11:30:40 AM »
Jay, I won't be making it this year as I had anticipated. I believe John Bamber is still going to swing by and introduce himself however.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 12:09:47 PM »

6)  How could ordinary people visit PRI --- Friday first thing hypothetically?

The PRI show is intended for people in the Racing & automotive industry, but they are really loose on that definition, most any kind of business is fine. I believe Jay answered on a previous post, you can register when you get to the show, just have some kind of business card, letterhead, etc. with your name on it. Or if you have a friend with a business.

Here’s the link to the PRI website: http://www.performanceracing.com/tradeshow/
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 12:11:51 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

FElony

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51:47 PM »
... I'm not trying to be negative, just looking at the big picture...

The Big Picture is that if you take this dressed-out FE to the track, you are going to get shellacked by an armada of country bumpkins with junkyard-sourced LS truck engines with eBay turbos jammed into whatever POS they could find. How utterly embarrassing. Jay's parts at their theoretical 850 hp point are going to pretty much jettison any block they are perched on into Alpha Centauri. What's needed, to be relevant today, is a competitively-priced modernized block (and lower components) that can withstand 1500+ turbo hp.

Of course, by the time you've combined all this, you'll be scary close to the cost of a 2019 Mustang GT, just in the engine. In other words, it will never happen. Better off popping out 25,000 clear distributor caps. Maybe translucent blue and red, too. Ginchy. Everybody would buy several.