Author Topic: Axle bearings  (Read 709 times)

driveamerican

• View Profile
Axle bearings
« on: September 18, 2023, 06:30:19 AM »
I have a 9" axle that keeps burning up sealed axle bearings. Everything looked good but I had machine shop push new bearings on just because I was there I put new seals in axle less than 500 miles bearings were junk they are sealed bearings so the machine shop checked axles and put new bearings on again same thing in a week. I haven't had housing put on a fixture but using a solid shaft going all the way through it seems straight nothing is tight going together and both bearings are going junk at same time. What am I doing wrong. Thanks

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Axle bearings
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 07:55:49 AM »
So, it was running OK with the old bearings but you put new bearings in and now they are burning up?  If that is the case, I would be suspicious of the new bearings; maybe try a different bearing manufacturer?
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 08:20:08 AM »
With both sides failing at the same time is it possible the install was not correct? ie: pushed on the the outer race, it doesn't take much
Which bearings?

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 08:52:12 AM »
Hate to point fingers but...might want to install them yourself next time.  Maybe the "new" guy installed the bearings for you.

If you have space, a cheapo harber freight shop press works fine to install.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 09:20:14 AM »
With both sides failing at the same time is it possible the install was not correct? ie: pushed on the the outer race, it doesn't take much
Which bearings?

Yeah, sounds like instead of pressing the inner race he stuck on the outer race and pushed on it, deforming the roller cages.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 11:50:26 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 10:07:20 AM »
Which bearings?

Yeah, sound like instead of pressing the inner race he stuck on the outer race and pushed on it, deforming the roller cages.

That would be my first guess also, but first check out the bearing maker and report back. China has been putting out some bad bearings for some time now. It has more to do with heat treat than anything else.

As for 'pressing' them on, I've always used a pipe with the correct diameter for the inner race, and a heavy hammer. Never had issues. You don't have to beat hard, just firm taps, and making sure the pipe has a level face that contacts the bearing in a full 360*.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 10:11:20 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 06:49:06 PM »
First thanks for the replies. I don't know about the second time the first set was SKF but I would bet they were offshore. After second time I put an explorer rear end in it but now I need to use the rear end in new project.

winr1

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 12:49:44 AM »
SKF outsources to China and other Countrys

I would call Mark Williams/Currie, etc and ask if they know which bearings are the best

Ricky.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 04:34:27 AM »
SKF is a Swedish company.
They have manufacturing plants all around the world including the USA.
You need the part numbers off the bearings to track them.
I would not blame the SKF bearing until it is inspected and understand why it failed.
SKF bearings are top tier.
With multiple failures on both sides, something is wrong somewhere.
Any pictures of the bearings and housing?

CDXXVII

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 09:50:33 PM »
Not trying to hijack but I am looking for either Federal 88128 or Timken 514003 for a 1962 Galaxie big bearing rear.
I was originally hoping to find USA made or old stock from a known name.
Failing that, I ordered the Timken from Rockauto understanding that they would probably be offshore.
When two bearings arrived one of them was in a Timken box printed 'made in China'. The other box was plain white with just a part number. Neither bearing had 'Timken' stamped on the edge of the race.

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 10:26:26 PM »
While it will cost more than shopping online, shopping your local bearing supply. They will be able to find a us made bearing. In
Mike