Author Topic: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!  (Read 776367 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: My 427 SOHC Build..... Finally the time has come!
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 04:07:02 PM »
He's building a SOHC 427.... I think cheap probably went out the door years ago :P

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 08:12:38 PM »
No reputable shop should promise the work done in 1-2 weeks, and then not have anything done in 5 weeks while at the same time acting like they didn't do anything wrong.  Got get your stuff, Jason...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2014, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Just out of curiosity, how long does machining take?  I completely understand (due to the fact that he had to order a torque plate for  an FE with the bore I want), but the torque plate came in last Thursday.

I am a business major, and the universal truth you are always taught is the "customer" is the only reason you are able to own your own business.  I feel I have been more than patient (thinking you should looked to see if you are able to do the work before saying 1 to 2 weeks) given the fact that the torque plate had to be ordered.

My question is... wouldn't a good business man put this at the top of the list since it has taken an unexpectedly long time?  That's my thoughts.  My problem is, this is the only shop I could find in my area (40 30 minutes drive on I95) that had good reviews.  As I live in South Florida, 80% of the time they don't speak English (and just hang up) and 99% of the time when you google maps street view these places down here, they are in horrible neighborhoods and the signs are literally written on cardboard and taped to either the door or a cone in the parking area.  (Miami literally is 3rd world and is getting worse every day)

As I learned my lesson after getting royally screwed by Rick Toombs (to the tune of $600.00- A whole other story), I am a little jaded about trusting people with these parts, but on the other hand have no where else to go.  The next place I could find is 2 hours away North and it has no reviews and no website.  Yesterday after I wrote on this forum, he promised he would have it done next weekend (waiting on more heavy metal and a plum bob for NA?  Didn't understand the NA.

Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2014, 09:39:08 AM »
The problem is that hiring workers for skilled trades is not the same as hiring a new burger flipper for a McDonald's.  I've been in the repair business for 30 years and gave up on hired help 20 years ago.  I simply tired of apologizing for other peoples mistakes.  Running a one man shop, I can give accurate estimates as to cost, but not time.  Every phone call or walk in takes time away from the repair stand.  Yours is a unique engine, one time job,  that he may be fitting in along with other regular customers.

Good work is worth waiting for.  I waited two years for the contractor that replaced the windows in my house and I don't regret a day of the wait because ten years later, everything works flawlessly.

Again I don't know your situation or the shops rep.  With a 40 to 50 G engine, I would assume you want their best man on it, not an intern.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2014, 12:08:26 PM »
If he has no other work in the shop then it shouldn't take long. But most good engine builders have a huge backlog of builds. One very good local shop in my area is 6 months out on engine builds, and he gets top dollar. Even smaller shops are at least a month out.

Now given that he had to order the torque plate, as soon as it comes in you should be next in line.

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2014, 02:58:35 PM »
Listen, if this guy told me 1 - 2 months originally that would be fine.  I think what kills me is that he said 1 to 2 weeks... and then didn't have the right tools, so had to order them.... and while we were waiting, I asked if he could start balancing the crank so we could cut down on time.... he said I was next on the machine.  then almost 2 weeks later, nothing done to the crank and block not started, and he said another week.....

I guess I am just venting as I really have no choice. I will let you all know the outcome next Saturday.  Done or not, I am going up there and getting every Da*n part, bolt, gasket, etc.  I think I am going to have to add this guy to the "Rick Toombs" list!
Jason
2005 Saleen S281 (427 SOHC 2 X 4 EFI swap), T56 Magnum XL 6 speed, 9" Currie rear with 3.89 Gears

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
You guys must have been in the express lane. If you think that's bad, I had a verbal agreement of 3 months. It's been over 6 months and a week.....and counting. AND had to drive 2 hours to get there because if you mention Ford 427 to anybody in my area you just get a weird look like they think you're stupid for calling a Chevy engine a Ford.

The last guy I had do basic machine work for my engine took 2 months. And I thought that was bad ::)

Sideoilers and SOHCs especially are NOT an engine to trifle with. If the guy isn't familiar with them, or you feel like you're getting the run around, get your stuff and move on. The longer it sits there, the more likely that something will go wrong, or something will get stolen or come up missing....."it wasn't here".
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »
OK, so I realized the car was not up high enough with the 6 ton jack stands, so I placed an order with Harbor Freight for 12 ton stands.  They arrived Saturday and holy Christ they are massive.  On their lowest setting, I was barely able to jack the car up high enough to get them under (using blocks of wood on the jack).  The car sits so high up now, I will easily be able to drop the transmission.  I ordered a 12mm impact socket with swivel head (specifically for removing the drive shaft bolts that mate up to the back of the existing tranny).  Drive shaft is now out of the way and placed aside in the "For Sale" area.  LOL 
Now I need to disconnect the battery so I can remove the started, and unbolt the transmission (hopefully I can get this done this evening after I get home from work), But I ran into a problem.

Earlier in the post, I mentioned that I need the Cammer engine to sit exactly in place of the Ford Modular engine.  I was going to do this by dripping a plum bob off of the flywheel and mark it out with tape on the floor.  This way When I slide in the cammer engine, I can just use the plum bob again to ensure its in the stock location.

Unfortunately, with the 12 ton jack stands, I will have to lower the car to get the modular motor out and that will throw off the plum bob marking.  Is there anyway to mark the location of the flywheel in the car itself? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I need to figure this out before I pull the stock engine out.

Thanks
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2014, 10:50:20 AM »
Machine Shop Finally working on my Cranshaft!
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2014, 11:00:29 AM »
And my block!  Its my luck day!  He is working on both right now!  LOL  Giddy as a school girl   ;D
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2014, 11:36:17 AM »
In Other news!  I was under the car last night working on removing the starter (as it had to come off now that I am removing the Transmission.  While looking up in deep thought again, I realized that the 4.6 Modular has a rear sump oil pan due to the K member.  Although I Purchased an AJE tubular K member, I still do not believe that the Moroso 7qt oil pan I purchased (Back in July 2011 while hoarding parts) was going to fit given the steering rack and the space to the front of the radiator.....  Just out of curiosity, I called Jegs today and spoke with the returns department.  It seems I have 3 years to return and next month is the 3rd year!  Its in its original box and heading back.

I also took this time to pick up a Canton 8qt pan (Rear sump), its related rear sump oil pickup, as well as a windage tray...  Hoping that it wont interfere with the stroke....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:18:07 PM by cobracammer »
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »
Alright People!  Another update.  Machine shop just posted another picture of my block all honed up on the machine......  She is looking almost ready to be put together!!!!!!  Freaking exciting.
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2014, 06:23:36 PM »
Alright ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages.......

I went to the machine shop this morning, to pick up the parts he has finished with.  He is just finishing up honing the mains on the block, and since the pond block is aluminum on top and steel (billet main caps) on bottom, he is having a better honing stone brought in to make sure he does it right.  Invited me into the back and all.  Super clean place.  My block was sitting in the machine and he explained everything.  I feel better.

On an even better note, everything else came home with me.  Crank is all balanced ( I am not totally sure how well its balanced as I have never read one of these), but alll looks good.  Fingers crossed, I will have the block in my garage next weekend doing the prep work to begin.  See below for the balance paperwork for the crank:
Jason

cobracammer

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2014, 06:24:20 PM »
page 2
Jason

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2014, 02:18:42 PM »
I just went back and read your thread through from the beginning.

I didn't realize how blessed I am. It's almost the same distance from my place to Barry's shop as it is to Roush's digs. And only a little further to Chris Holbrook's shop. And another ten or fifteen minutes to Moldex or Livernois. I could go on for another couple of paragraphs...

KS