Author Topic: Cam thrust plate damage  (Read 630 times)

Urgefor

• View Profile
Cam thrust plate damage
« on: July 12, 2023, 07:45:29 PM »
While inspecting things after teardown of my engine, I noticed the thrust plate for the camshaft has been badly worn.

Quick history. The engine has approximately 3 to 4k on a "rebuild".  It was used for a engine rebuild project my son had while going through an automotive course a few years ago. Basic stuff, bearings, refresh heads, cleaning block, etc.  The machine shop near the college that did the machine work obviously was not terribly familiar with FEs.  The rear cam plug wasn't installed correctly and at least one of the rear oil gallery plugs wasn't installed.  Shout out to the instructors for running the oil pump with a drill and finding that missing plug before firing the engine.

The plug had been spun enough by the camshaft that it was leaking oil and I was able to remove it by finger during teardown. I am assuming the wear on the thrust plate is directly related to the incorrectly installed rear camshaft plug and not due to an oiling issue.  If I am assuming incorrectly, please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 01:26:36 AM by Urgefor »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Cam thrust plate damage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 07:15:08 AM »
That seems very logical to me.  The plug could have pushed on the cam and taken the thrust clearance out.  It's also probable that the cam made a lathe out of itself and dumped rear cam plug material down into the oil gallery back there. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 11:11:46 AM »
The block will get a really good cleaning after all of the prep work that has been done, so shouldn't have to worry about material from the plug.  I double checked bolts on the front of the engine and didn't see anything strange.  The cam bearings are still in the block.  Any telltale signs I should be looking for regarding those?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 12:14:57 PM »
The block will get a really good cleaning after all of the prep work that has been done, so shouldn't have to worry about material from the plug.  I double checked bolts on the front of the engine and didn't see anything strange.  The cam bearings are still in the block.  Any telltale signs I should be looking for regarding those?

Not unless they took some trash in them. 

Just double check cam end play on assembly.   If you have a flat tappet cam, you can just snag another factory thrust plate.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports