Author Topic: Starting to understand why building engines may be best left to the professional  (Read 116417 times)

scott foxwell

So who's to say who's right?
One way, the cam is ground "straight up" or not. The other way, the cam is installed "straight up", or not.

Well, all I can say is what exactly is "straight" if you install it as ground?

No matter what you do to affect cam timing, offset bushings, different slots in the gear, the 2 dots are always "straight" on the cam gear, and any cam if installed with advance or retarded centerlines is leaning one way or another.  However, only one situation puts everything equidistant, symmetrical, etc, and that is when LSA=ICL=ECL

I wasn't there back in the early days of building, but my hunch is advance and retard, or early or late, were very clear terms, but "not late or early" or "not advanced or retarded" is a lot more words than "straight up"
LOL...OK.
I guess sometimes even a cotton ball can be complicated.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
I understood that. My only observation is that for someone not familiar with the process you might try to measure the two centre lines and use them to position the cam.
You only need to measure one. The intake event is really the most critical so that's the one to measure. You can't change the lobe centers when they're both on the same cam. On engines with separate intake and ex cams, you can change the lobe centers.

Scott - what I meant is you don't actually measure the centre line, you find the cam position by finding 0.050 inches of lift at open and close, and make sure they occur where you want (or where the cam manufacturer calls for). I was speaking as rookie and this kind of discussion can lead us to make the mistake of trying to find something that is not precisely measurable.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

scott foxwell

I understood that. My only observation is that for someone not familiar with the process you might try to measure the two centre lines and use them to position the cam.
You only need to measure one. The intake event is really the most critical so that's the one to measure. You can't change the lobe centers when they're both on the same cam. On engines with separate intake and ex cams, you can change the lobe centers.

Scott - what I meant is you don't actually measure the centre line, you find the cam position by finding 0.050 inches of lift at open and close, and make sure they occur where you want (or where the cam manufacturer calls for). I was speaking as rookie and this kind of discussion can lead us to make the mistake of trying to find something that is not precisely measurable.
Roger that.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
One way, the cam is ground "straight up" or not. The other way, the cam is installed "straight up", or not.

No matter what you do to affect cam timing, offset bushings, different slots in the gear, the 2 dots are always "straight" on the cam gear, and any cam if installed with advance or retarded centerlines is leaning one way or another.  However, only one situation puts everything equidistant, symmetrical, etc, and that is when LSA=ICL=ECL

I wasn't there back in the early days of building, but my hunch is advance and retard, or early or late, were very clear terms, but "not late or early" or "not advanced or retarded" is a lot more words than "straight up"
LOL...OK.

Yeah, especially when you call the cotton ball the wrong thing.   ;)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

scott foxwell

LOL...OK.

I can call it a football as long as I know what it is. This whole argument of "straight up" is purely semantics.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports

LOL...OK.

I can call it a football as long as I know what it is. This whole argument of "straight up" is purely semantics.

Yeah, I'd disagree with that. 

When I tell you to install a cam straight up and you dial it in according to the cam card, then that's not semantics....it's a communication gap based on ignorance of a term. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Yellow Truck

• View Profile

That will work if you are talking to yourself.

I happen to be interested in semantics at the moment. By brother's brain injury affected his language centers, and in particular he currently tends to pick the wrong word in a semantic family - father for son or daughter for mother, he for she, etc. He is not far off the right word, and if you understand the context you can follow him, but a stranger finds it bewildering.

Luckily he is recovering very well and may be released in a couple of weeks. Given that they had to keep him in a near coma for a week this is spectacular.
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Easy fellows. I think everyone agrees on the underlying thing.

Paul.

scott foxwell

LOL...OK.

Yeah, I'd disagree with that. 

When I tell you to install a cam straight up and you dial it in according to the cam card, then that's not semantics....it's a communication gap based on ignorance of a term.
OK, you win.

scott foxwell

Easy fellows. I think everyone agrees on the underlying thing.
Which is exactly my point.

Heo

• View Profile

That will work if you are talking to yourself.

I happen to be interested in semantics at the moment. By brother's brain injury affected his language centers, and in particular he currently tends to pick the wrong word in a semantic family - father for son or daughter for mother, he for she, etc. He is not far off the right word, and if you understand the context you can follow him, but a stranger finds it bewildering.

Luckily he is recovering very well and may be released in a couple of weeks. Given that they had to keep him in a near coma for a week this is spectacular.
Been there done that after my strokes.... For example calling my wife several ex girlfriends name :-[

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
Been there done that after my strokes.... For example calling my wife several ex girlfriends name :-[

As long as they were EX-girlfriends, but that is exactly the nature of semantic confusion.

Paul.

fastback 427

• View Profile
This conversation is starting to "stall" out.  Sorry couldn't help myself.
Jaime
67 fastback 427 center oiler 428 crank Dove aluminum
top end toploader
67 fairlane gta cross bolted 12:1 390 Dove aluminum top end c6 3600 stall
65 falcon straight axle project
67 mustang coupe project
76 f350 dually 390 mirror 105 4bbl 4spd
74 f100 xlt 390 c6 factory ac

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
I agree - heading out to pick up the tool to remove the spring. Saturday the sun returns, next report then.

Paul.

My427stang

• View Profile
Paul, again, sorry to hear about your family challenges.  Hope you and the family hang in there.  Looking forward to upcoming success on all fronts
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch