Author Topic: 390 Head Comparison  (Read 2018 times)

410bruce

• View Profile
390 Head Comparison
« on: January 27, 2021, 08:18:09 AM »
I'm sure most of you guys have probably seen this. His terminology is off in describing the heads but what's your take on this guys conclusions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I52N5Gq1q74&t=1s

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: 390 Head Comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 08:56:21 AM »
He's probably a Chevy guy trying to broaden his horizons.  He wastes a lot...and I mean a lot of time just yappin'.  You're looking at around 30 seconds of content wrapped around 16 minutes of poop.  He confuses uninformed opinion as fact.  Those guys are turds.

Your are dipping right here in the well of the greatest collection of FE expertise on the planet.  Why would you want to check out a stagnant puddle?

410bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 09:30:06 AM »
I'm not dipping into a stagnant puddle. lol. I know this place is the FE knowledge vault as well as the other site. Just posted this up for conversation more than anything, I guess.

He does say in one of his vids, that he goes way back with the FE and that the first cylinder head he ever worked on was from a 428.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 09:32:15 AM by 410bruce »

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 10:01:08 AM »
I have enjoyed this Gentlemen's video series on the FE's. You have to start somewhere. He's been blasted pretty hard over the years for getting the names of the head types wrong. He made a follow up video to clarify as much as he could. He's all about vintage stuff so I agree that not much of what he explains could ever be considered cutting edge. He just goes though some of the academics of head numbers, cam numbers etc... Different strokes for different folks I figure.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:24:31 AM »

From what I've seen, he's an Instructor at Wyotech or Lincoln Tech, so there's that. I'd imagine he's got a bit of info jumbled around in his head. lol His video talking about hp per cfm of flow was difficult to watch.
Jeff

chris401

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
About a half dozen asked for help or advice but didn't get an answer. I responded to a couple of them with the two FE websites I use.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 12:52:12 PM »
I didn't even have to click the link to know who they were talking about- that guy is full of poo on FEs

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 01:11:49 PM »
I didn't even have to click the link to know who they were talking about- that guy is full of poo on FEs

Click the link to make sure.  There are at least two I've seen who don't don't their ass from a hole in the ground. 

plovett

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 08:42:30 PM »
n/m I was thinking of another video. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 08:53:23 PM by plovett »

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 04:42:32 PM »
Based on his extensive use of a white board and his dumbed down approach,it definitely appears that he is an instructor or teacher which may unfairly immediately open him up to the disparaging cliche of those who can do those who can't teach,and while I wouldn't characterize him as a chevy guy,his characterizing a C8 as a low riser and a C4 as a med. riser identifies him as  at best  being casually acquainted to the FE engine.While his math may accurately account for the quantity of air flow it in no way accounts for the quality of air flow which some of the preeminent builders would say is as important.I could see that video as being useful for first year students hat don't have much experience with FE's and at least its not using sbc's as an example.