Author Topic: Valve train assembly with stands, end supports and spacers?  (Read 5262 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Valve train assembly with stands, end supports and spacers?
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:09:36 PM »
Hello fellow FEnatics.  I've finally got all my parts to assemble my valve train.  I've never used end stands or spacers before...or roller rockers on an FE.  The stands, end supports and spacers are from Barry, the rockers are new Comp units.  The stand kit came with 4 wave washers, 8 thick aluminum washers and 1 thin aluminum washer. 

Now, I read to put the rockers so the adjusters are offset away from the closest stand.  Is this correct?

Secondly, where do the 4 wave washers go?

Lastly, are the aluminum shims only used to move the rockers more centered over the valve, not to actually keep the rockers from touching any other part?

Thanks all!

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Valve train assembly with stands, end supports and spacers?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 07:28:57 AM »
The wave washers on stock rockers go on the ends of the shafts.
At the end of the shaft it goes, cotter pin, hard washer, wave/spring washer, rocker arm.
When putting the end stand on the cotter pin and hard washer and spring washer go on the outside
of the stand and the rocker inside.
I don't have a set of Comp rockers.
I would say they are like any FE non stock setup. You will have to fiddle around with them
to get them all lined up and looking good using shims.
The most important thing is to make sure you have push rod clearance in the intake holes.
You will have the do a full mock up and cycle the engine through all the push rods to make sure
you are not rubbing a push rod on the intake.
If you are you will have to massage the intake hole. If you don't do this
you could knock a push rod off the rocker or worse.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »
The offset on the adjuster goes away from the closest stand as you stated.  The shims are used to align the roller tip of the rocker to the valve stem.  There is no requirement to use them, but usually you have to have some in there to get everything lined up right.  You want about .015" or less of clearance along the shaft, when you slide the rocker, spacer, and all the shims to one side.  I wouldn't go less than .005" though. 

As Howie said the wave washers are for the stock setup without end stands.  Your setup has end stands, so the wave washers are not used.  Just use the regular shims in this position to get the clearances you need.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
Thanks for the info guys!  So the wave washers will go in the spare parts bin.  I did a quick mock up of the parts and the end supports extend past the end of the hardened shafts I'm using, so those washers definitely won't be used.

My C4AE-G heads are at the machine shop at the moment.  Could I theoretically mock-up and get my alignments on one of my two spare "junk" heads in the garage?  One is a C8AE the other is a D2TE.  Is the valve spacing the same as the C4 heads?

afret

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
When you check the centering of the rocker wheel over the valve tip, you might find that the stand won't let you move the rocker over enough.  That's pretty common to find on a few stands.  You just have to get the stand milled a bit to get the rocker centered just right.

Just be sure to check the edge of the pushrod cup to make sure it clears the rocker body.  And when you measure for the correct pushrod length the rule of thumb is it have 1-2 threads of the adjuster showing though the bottom of the rocker.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 05:22:47 AM »
The wave washers in the kit are used in the end stand position.  The end stand position is wide enough to allow some adjustment and if you do not shim them within .015 they'll click and some guys get nervous - won't hurt a thing.  The wave washers keep things quiet.

drdano

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:17:07 AM »
Thanks for the info Barry.  I thought it odd the wave washers came with the end stand kit, this explains that.  I should have the engine hopefully this Saturday and can start assembling these parts....and flooding the board with more endless questions.   ;D